• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

that guy [TCTI v 8]

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

Huh, is it now?

Well, either way, the creation legend, as is written in books, denotes that Arceus was born from nothing and created. Regardless of what he did directly, He is responsible for the creation of the world, so I could believe it.

And if you think about further, it makes a lot of sense. More than likely, it's called the Foreign Culture Building because they don't want to straight up call a church just that. Thinking about it, though, "Foreign Culture" likely refers to what it is- that being a church of reminiscent of Roman structures such as the Vatican. Put that way, and considering Arceus is hailed as the "One True God" (since, again, he was created from nothing), it fits.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

Fair enough. You know, my opinion is coloured since I really do not like the idea of a de facto "god" in the Pokémon world. Much more of a fan of the "thought of as a deity but is really just a powerful natural being" trope.

...And that in turn is most likely coloured by my own theological views. So let me know if you catch me shamelessly projecting.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

Well, again, whether Arceus exists is still up in the air. There's no canonical information about him that wasn't written by humans, and the plates are still up in the air.

I like it more for the belief than what he is since, as a god, I'm not really much a fan of Arceus. It's more what he does for the world ideologically that I like than any actual contribution made by him, so whether he's actually a deity or not won't matter to me until he makes a canonical, catchable appearance. But if he turns out to be God and you can catch 'im, GF and me'll have some problems.

Also, congrats Spanish Ivysaur also formerly and currently referred to as Went maybe!

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years

Gonna jump in here hoping you won't mind but if Arceus does exist and he does turn out be a God, I do hope he won't be catch-able since that would mean that the player is then able to control God which would imply the player is beyond God...

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

True, but the MC isn't capable of this, just the guy/gal behind the fourth wall.

Unless you're referring to Whiting/Blacking Out, but Red does this in GSCHGSS. And he was such a boss nopunintended that he didn't when he whited out he woke up in a Pokemon Center in another region. That region's name not withheld.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

I wonder how different Pokémon games would be if you just got a game over screen like in traditional RPGs.

In a way it'd make more sense. If Lysandre defeats you in the final showdown, surely he's won. No going back to a Pokémon center to heal and try again.

Years

I find it amusing that I got the "____ whited out!" greet as I opened this thread, given the topic. :p

Changing it to a traditional "game over" screen probably wouldn't change too much for me, since I usually quit and just reset the game before I actually get to a fainting screen...
    I should probably change that habit. Maybe. I dunno.

I could definitely see the games being a little more frustrating with the inclusion of that.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

I'd like it if they did that situationally.

Yu-Gi-Oh games, for instance, generally make it so that if you lose a duel, it's no big deal, but if you're in a serious match like a Shadow Game or a Story Tournament Match, defeat means Game Over.

Of course, they'd have to telegraph it or warn you in some way. Just springing stuff like that up could be immensely frustrating.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

It'd also mean you can't repeatedly grind your Pokémon against certain trainer's big, badass team if you can't beat him. Which maybe is for the best. Banging your head against a wall until you by happenstance succeed is perhaps not the idea behind Pokémon strategy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back