• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 30-day Song Challenge - Again! [read first post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Day 3 - A song that makes you happy

This song makes me feel like I can do anything and always motivates me to think positively and in turn makes me happy yayayaya!!!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • WHOOP WHOOP

~

Day 04 - A song that makes you sad.

Paradise - Coldplay

Most popular music is stuff I can dismiss as one-hit wonders. But Coldplay have been around a while and are a generally respectable band yet recently they've thrown out the generally irritating high-pitched vocals stuff that seems everywhere right now. Either that or people that should be rapping just speaking into a mic @ what seems generally popular. Although I never liked Coldplay too much, it saddens me to see that decent bands like this consider music to be going in this kind of direction.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Day 04 - A song that makes you sad.

Awww....

Something About Us - Daft Punk (Discovery, 2001)
    (And if I may add, Superheroes and Voyager also do too)

Also, the other two.
    Spoiler:
    Just...so depressing. So sad :'( but oh well.

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • Day 4 - A song that makes you sad

October - Broken Bells

This song has a lot of emotional background with me. I listened to Broken Bells so much after a big break up back in '10, and especially this song. It's melancholic tones, James Mercer's amazing voice, It just did it for me, and it still does.

NeoPsychedelia

Admiral of the Pokéfleet
    Years
  • Late to the party, but I'm kicking this off nonetheless.

Day 01 - Your favourite song.

There's nothing quite like late-60s blues. I have many, many favorite songs, so I merely chose this one at random. But I always get good vibes from this one. It also showcases some decent guitar work courtesy of Eric Clapton.

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Day 4 - A Song That Makes You Sad

The story progression of Hero of War is just a sad one that is kind of anti-war (which is fine), but also anti-military (Which I don't think is right, but this isn't a thread for politics). As the song continues it talks about the person in the song conforming to the standards, and doing things that he isn't proud of or that he doesn't think are right. That and the chords are kind of just a lot of minor chords which are just sad sounding in general =P

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Spoiler:

It makes me sad because I miss this sort of Avril; nowadays it's like she's trying to act like how she was at this age but it's not working. Avril, honey, you're nearly 30. Move on.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Day 4 - Song That Makes You Sad

Pickup Truck - Kings of Leon

I don't really want to explain. I just can't listen to it like I used to without getting sad. That's all I'll say though.

NeoPsychedelia

Admiral of the Pokéfleet
    Years
  • Day 02 - Your least favorite song

Oh, boy. Many, many songs could be candidates for this one.

Exactly how does this even qualify as music? Sure, it beats the mindless swearing and numerous references to smoking weed, drinking, and banging women of modern rap, but this is still a song that compels me to stuff my ears whenever it's playing somewhere. Electronic instruments, with the exception of a synthesizer used with actual instruments, aren't music-makers. Instead, they produce obnoxious little beeps and derps. Combine those with a completely inorganic drum machine and autotuned vocals, and congratulations. You now have a successful pop song, because people somehow think that this talentless mayhem is actually decent music.

My apologies for the mini-rant, there. :P

Years
  • Looks like I'm a few days late. I'll catch up here and pretend that someone will actually listen to these songs :]

day 1 - your favourite song

It's so haunting and so beautiful at the same time. The chilling slide guitar, the loneliness of the drum machine, the vocals, the organ, everything's just perfect.

I'm not sure whether the question was asking for my favourite song at the moment or my favourite song of all time (either way, my current favourite song is off Beach House's new album which hasn't been released yet, hence it isn't up on Youtube, so my all-time favourite will have to suffice).

day 2 - your least favourite song

Possibly the most annoying song I've ever heard. I don't listen to FM radio anymore but I've heard enough of this song through the radio at work and my younger sister. Terrible. Especially the video clip - cannot unsee that.

day 3 - a song that makes you happy

There's not really any one song that makes me happy without fail, but on a few occasions I've been cheered up by hearing this song.

day 4 - a song that makes you sad

This song makes me sad for a number of reasons. First, for the meaning in the lyrics.

I should've stopped to paint our picture,
    Captured honest pure affection,
    Just to document the difference between attraction and connection.

Just the regret associated with that one line "I should've stopped to paint our picture" always gets me.

I think the most shattering thing listening to this song is how what was so beautiful about it to me (and to the lyricist) was shattered in a later song by the band. I wrote about this newer song and the impact it had on Nine while reviewing the band's second album, Wildlife:

"The song really hits home for me, though, as it shows Jordan questioning his memory of that day on the church steps, where he shared a kiss with a girl. What made the song Nine so beautiful and perfect ("I should have stopped to paint our picture, to capture honest and pure affection, just to document the difference between attraction and connection." - Nine) is now tainted with doubt: "So was our touch half as sacred as I've made it seem, or just another fabrication of a half-dream? Just those chemicals, the adolescent love. Just us trying to grasp onto meaning, onto a purpose...". It's particularly heartbreaking for me as I very much value the emotional relationship with someone over the physical one. Nine spoke to me so much, and to now read that it's not the case that "Something spiritual releases when the feeling hits.." but instead that all that the moment is is "an honesty instinctive and pure" puts a strain on my faith that love is not instinctive. As I reach the end of adolescence, I grow scared that I will no longer feel the naivety of youth, that I will no longer believe that love is any more than physical intimacy. This song makes me feel like that."​

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • ~

Day 05 - A song that reminds you of someone.

Bad Boys For Life - P. Diddy

Song brings back some of the best memories I've got. This is a track a group of mates (but especially one so it applies here ok!) and I used to play all the time whenever we met up lol. We knew it didn't apply to us like, at all, but we just found it hilarious an whenever we did ANYTHING this song would be with us. And this group and I we did some hilarious stuff in the way back. Miss it a lot but yeah brings back some amazing memories of those people. <3

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Day 5 - A song that reminds you of someone.

Satisfaction - Benny Benassi (Hypnotica, 2003)

I don't know...I remember this guy who I would bother all the time with this song (because he bothered me quite often with his stupid sexual jokes.) But now I just play this whenever someone gets on my nerves with "WHAT ARE YOU LISSENING TO BLAHBLAHBLAHDERPADERP" and I "show them what I'm listening to".

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Day 5 - A Song That Reminds You of Someone

so much Rise Against So basically last year in college every Friday we had a thing called Acoustic Fridays, where we would go into the tunnels underneath the dorms with a few acoustic guitars and around 7-10 people and we would just chill out, play music, and have fun. People sang along, just talked with some background music, or whatever really. This was the one song that no matter what everyone would stop what they were doing, listen, and sing along. It's just an awesome song and holds so many great memories that remind me of my best friends that I'm grateful to be living with right now and next year.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I'm going to assume that it is never too late to join in on this.

Day 5 - A Song That Reminds You of Someone

Avril Lavigne - Complicated

When I was a little kid there was this one girl who lived on my street and we would hang out all the time. She was kind of a skater girl like the one Avril use to portray and we would pretty much do the dumb stuff they did in the video. One time I said something really stupid and pretty much complicated our friendship.

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • Day 5 - A song that reminds you of someone

Shuffle - Bombay Bicycle Club

My girlfriend and I dig this band, so when their new album came out last year, we listened to this song so much. So yeah, pretty much a nice reminder of her whenever I listen to it.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Spoiler:

This song reminds me of my sister for some reason; it's weird, she wasn't even alive when this song came out. ****, that makes me think of how old I'm getting, lol. Anyway, it reminds me of my sister because Stacie Orrico looks like my sister quite a lot, when she's not heavily covered in makeup.

d4rka8isz

Is Confused.
    Years
  • I'm late, but here goes. Most of these songs don't have words and some are remixes so is that okay? If not, I can change it.

Day 01 - Your favourite song.
    Spoiler:

Day 02 - Your least favourite song.
    Spoiler:

Day 03 - A song that makes you happy.
    Spoiler:

Day 04 - A song that makes you sad.
    Spoiler:

Day 05 - A song that reminds you of someone.
    Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back