• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 3DS Information/Discussion Thread

Years
  • I was really excited for Kid Icarus but it's died down a little since then. Should I get the preorder with the free download or just wait until i can get it used for cheaper in the future

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Oh, who here got Tales of the Abyss ? Got it in January when I went to Austria. I'm hearing people saying that it's rare in both EU and US, but hell, I walked in St. Polten's (that's a moderately large city in Austria) TRU and they had like 3 copies. Snagged one for 45 Euros. A bit much, but hey, the game's going to increase in value A LOT. (and it already has)

Also bought Tetris from the same TRU for 30 Euros. It's brilliant, spent 20 hours in it so far. My marathon high score is somewhere around 200.000.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Oh, who here got Tales of the Abyss ? Got it in January when I went to Austria. I'm hearing people saying that it's rare in both EU and US, but hell, I walked in St. Polten's (that's a moderately large city in Austria) TRU and they had like 3 copies. Snagged one for 45 Euros. A bit much, but hey, the game's going to increase in value A LOT. (and it already has)

Also bought Tetris from the same TRU for 30 Euros. It's brilliant, spent 20 hours in it so far. My marathon high score is somewhere around 200.000.

I haven't heard much about it truth be told. I want to get it since I've actually never played that Tales Of game and heard it was good, but yeah I just haven't heard or seen much of it in stores.

They say it's already out here in the US, but the price online is really low and there's a very limited stock.

Weird.

Years
  • I'm in the U.S. and I just called in to my closest gamestop (there's like 4 in my city) and they had it available at normal price. I have seen it on Amazon for outrageous amounts and/or limited stock but I i guess it just depends on if you live in a bigger city or any areas for that matter.

Years
  • Those types of games do normally end up being weird in the market.

I got rid of my 3DS for the Vita, so watch all the good titles come out for the 3DS now! XD
    I don't want to turn this isn't a 3DS vs Vita so I won't go there, but I just got bored of the 3DS in the end.

However, for the sake of Nintendo, I hope it starts picking up. :)​

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Those types of games do normally end up being weird in the market.

I got rid of my 3DS for the Vita, so watch all the good titles come out for the 3DS now! XD
    I don't want to turn this isn't a 3DS vs Vita so I won't go there, but I just got bored of the 3DS in the end.

However, for the sake of Nintendo, I hope it starts picking up. :)​

It kinda reminds me of when the Wii received the Tales of Symphonia sequel. I searched high and low for that game but nobody had it. I think they ended up taking it off the shelves after a certain point.

Yeah, hopefully we'll get more titles at this E3, though there are quite a few titles that have been coming out recently that I really want.
    I ended up selling my 3DS on Amazon for $210 a month before the price drop to $160 was announced luckily. xD

I'll probably wait until Animal Crossing 3DS or Monster Hunter Tri G comes out before repurchasing a 3DS, or until I can find a good deal on it.
    Animal Crossing is a weird thing to anticipate, but those games are incredibly addicting to me.

Years
  • It kinda reminds me of when the Wii received the Tales of Symphonia sequel. I searched high and low for that game but nobody had it. I think they ended up taking it off the shelves after a certain point.

I have it! Got it for £20 when it was released on Amazon! XD

Anyway, that is getting off topic.​

Years
  • The price might drop, but I am always skeptical about these types of games, because they can just hold at full price or just having a fraction off! :/​

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Well i'll be damned. I was under the impression that the 3DS was doing awful, but it's first year numbers are in and it's doing significantly better than the DS.

-The 3DS has sold 4.5 million units, compared to the original DS's 2.3 million.
    -With a library of over 100 physical titles, the 3DS has sold 9 million games; the DS sold 5 million with 58 titles.
    -The eShop, which wasn't available in the DS's first year, has over 500 games available. Nintendo wouldn't provide sales statistics, but did mention that on average a consumer downloads five games or programs.
    -In terms of general revenue, including software and accessories, the 3DS has generated $1.2 billion; the DS managed $540 million in its first year.

https://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1220076p1.html

Years
  • Should I get a Nintendo 3DS?

Hey guys, I have seen reviews, played it at my friends house, and have researched it. But, I still don't know. So, does it suck? It looks pretty cool. The only time I have used it, I was playing with the augmented reality thing, with the 3D on. It was cool. But, since I have dilated eyes it sort of hurt my eyes after 10 minutes. I don't think I really had my right "sweet spot" or the 3D setting just right, but that might affect the fun. And also, if I buy the console and one game it will use up all of my money. So is it worth it? I would love any help and feedback!

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • Just a heads up, small questions about whether or not you should get something should go in the quick questions thread stickied at the top of the section to prevent cluttering up the section. :P
    Or you could have checked out the 3DS discussion thread to get more information on the system and see what some of the other users think.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=241387

As for answering your question, It's really up to whether or not you think the system has some games you'd want.
    You should check out the 3DS section at Metacritic and see what games are out/read the game reviews to see if there's anything that might warrant a purchase.
    https://www.metacritic.com/games/3ds

The 3DS has an e-shop that features a bunch of small, low price games so you can further enjoy the system. They're starting to port games from the old gameboy consoles onto the e-shop, so if there's anything on those system you want to play you can always get them.

On the topic of the 3D slider: The 3D on the 3DS is that it isn't required in most cases, and a lot more games are actually starting to make less use of it in order to prevent displeasing any customers who want to get full enjoyment out of the games/system without hurting their eyes.

My opinion is that the system is great and it has some great games, but not a whole lot to choose from at the moment. Lately a lot more games have been coming out for it though, such as Metal Gear Solid 3D and Kid Icarus Uprising. There are also a lot of other great games coming out for it such as Paper Mario 3D, Animal Crossing, and the new Super Smash Brothers game.

Hope that helps! :D

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • I bought one, but I never use it, In my opinion its heavy and flimsy. The colour isnt as bright as the DS lite(My Fav hand held) and the flip screen never stays in place. The new D pad toggle is good though, Ill give it that.

Oh and 3DS Tekken is Wicked!

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • I'd say it is worth it. The games on there like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (it has Master Quest on OoT3D as well), Super Mario 3D Land, Tales of the Abyss, Resident Evil: Revelations, Star Fox 64 3D and many more!, and also there is Kingdom Hearts 3D coming on there. the 3D option is useless you can play without it. But, it also has some Virtual Console games on there from old GB, GBC games, and some NES games as well. Might see some old Pokemon games on there one day Im not sure, but you never know! I say get it, and be prepared from some games that does wind-up on the 3DS.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • You don't need to play with 3D on in most cases. It's kind of like HD on the 360. It looks a lot nicer than SD, but you can set it to display in SD if you TV doesn't support it.

You eyes can't handle the 3D, so set it to off. So, same thing just about.

The good thing is that you can toggle the 3D effect and set its intensity on the fly during live gameplay. So, if you're playing Super Mario 3D Land and hit a section that requires the 3D for a brief moment, just flick it on. Then turn it off again after

BlaqJester

Guru
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2013
    Honestly I demoed it and wanted one from that day. 3D functionality, Street Pass, MK7, I'm just waiting on DLC for the system. At the price it is this is considered a steal so i would vote go for it. Also i suggest keep your previous handheld around though

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I would recommend getting one... The games for it are awesome, also it has much more power than the DS does, it's StreetPass is also damn cool. I StreetPass around seven people per day, and I have a lot of in-game stuff from them for a variety of games...

It also has this nifty feature to tell you when your other friends are online and playing a game online, so you can join them right from the Friend menu of the 3DS if you happen to have the same game. Also, the DS is old, people will still like it, but games will stop being developed for it in a very short while. The 3DS has actually outsold the DS by a factor of three currently, so compared to it's weak launch, it has rebounded remarkably.

It has a lot of features built right in, and the free applications that you can get allow you to write to friends, and has many other forms of communication.

If you don't like the 3D, it is by not means required, you can turn it off. It just makes things look pretty if you like it.

It's not something you will regret purchasing, I am sure. I got it when it was released, and I don't regret it in the least.

Years
  • Sounds good! I am pretty sure I will buy one. I could only buy two games for it, and I don't know which ones to get! I am positive I am getting Kid Icarus: Uprising though. Then I am deciding between Mario Kart: 7, Super Mario 3D Land, and Super Street Fighter: 3D Edition.

Back