• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The 3rd Generation Power House Challenge

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
Years
  • *bump for u!*

My torchic run was too fun.
    I'm restarting Sapphire again and using mudkip. (darn it)
    I gave up on shroomish.

Although, I lost my link cable and now I can't trade my current Pokémon to Emerald. *sniff*

Soon, it was time to soft reset for a decent starter.

Naive male. Reset. (21 HP, though.)
    Serious female. Good stats. I tend to prefer neutral natures, especially for a gen. 3 swampert. Keep her!

That was fast. XD

I defeated the poochyena thanks to my mudkip's awesome attack stat. I was praised by Birch and named the mudkip Rhedinia.

I certainly can't wait until my rival has a grovyle. /sarcasm

Projects:
    Capture HM slave 1 (nincada, probably)
    Find GBA link cable
    Trade tropius from Emerald (superior HM slave - the only better one is bibarel)
    Get my back to stop hurting. :(

Yay, edit #1.

Rhedinia evolved before Roxanne by defeating every trainer in our path, save for the double battles. Roxanne would have been easier if she hadn't kept healing her nosepass. I bet I could've killed it with struggle.

Onto Dewford I went, after defeating the Aqua thug's poochyena with one water gun. My second gym challenge ended messily, with my marshtomp firing off mud shots in all directions. It took three of them to defeat Brawly; the one for makuhita was a critical hit. (yay)
    So, I will take on the trainers near Granite Cave and then progress to the beach and Seashore House. It's my rule to defeat all the trainers and wild Pokémon possible, except double battles.

More yay edit # 2 ^^

I'm right about to enter Meteor Falls. I forgot HM cut, which I obtained by going back through Rusturf Tunnel. On the way, I randomly found a male skitty! I sent out my HM slave and captured it with a great ball. I have a strange liking of male skitties.
    Lesson learned: NEVER train your HM slave.

My marshtomp beat May's grovyle with ease. (ya, I'm playing as a boy again.) Here's how:
    Give oran berry to your marshtomp. Teach marshtomp bide and train to level 25. Have marshtomp use bide.
    Grovyle gets pwned.

Rhedinia evolved after the last trainer before Meteor Falls. My first GBA swampert! I'm so proud of her.

Ultra Edit #3

I have defeated the elite four. ^_^
    It was harder than when I used blaziken, though.
    I'm not quite ready to restart. First, I'm going after the Hoenn legendaries. I need an impish regirock and a sassy registeel. :D

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I'm probably not going to join this, since I'm working on a Frontier Army on my only 3rd gen game right now. I just wanted to point out some things on the 3rd gen pokemon:

- Yes, Marill can be found on Route 104 (west of Petalburg). Emerald Only
    - In all 3 of the games, there is around a 10% chance of snagging a Tentacool with an Old Rod on Dewford Island and Route 108 (northern part of the island).

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
  • Since I've tried this with all but one of the Hoenn starters, I'm restarting Emerald and using treecko.

This is gonna be hell. >.< Between sceptile's low defense and five weaknesses, I'm not sure I can make it.

I'm powerleveling. My grovyle is level 18 and I'm about to challenge Roxanne. Wish me luck. (because I'm crazy.)

XD edit:

I'm fighting Norman as I type this.
    His level 27ish Pokémon lose against my level 44 sceptile. =]
    Hahaha... my own father is that pathetic. XD

!! edit:
    I just defeated Wallace!
    I almost got pwned.... by hyper beam. How embarrassing.
    Yay, I can catch groudon now! Go me! *faints*

Last edited:

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • Update #2
    - Nothing interesting. Back-tracked and defeated all the trainers I skipped previously.

Clefairy: Level 16, Naughty
    Pound, Doubleslap, Encore, Sing

Next: Getting through Mt. Moon.

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
  • Yay, I'm starting again, but on FireRed this time.

With charmander!

Brock was defeated quite easily. He used rock tomb on me once. :P Metal claw took care of him.

I attempted Misty, but my level 27 charmeleon died to water pulse. Oh well; onto Vermillion for more training!

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
  • Misty died... IN FLAMES, to my charmeleon.

I defeated Lt. Surge. Too easy.

I made it out of Rock Tunnel without flash! Unfortunately, I made it out the wrong way. :(

Oh well. The exit is close now. Only two more trainers to defeat and then I'm out of there!

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • Update #3
    - Started going through Mt. Moon.
    - Avoided Hikers where possible, due to sheer unwillingness to sit around using Pound for so long.
    - Found a Moon Stone.
    - Beat up a nerd and took his Helix Fossil.
    - Made it to Cerulean City, healed, and restocked at the PokeMart.
    - Defeated my rival and got the Fame Checker.
    - Finished up Nugget Bridge and made it to Bill's House.
    - Got an S.S. Ticket.
    - Went back to Celadon and defeated Misty.

Clefairy: Level 28, Naughty
    Pound, Doubleslap, Minimize, Sing

Years
  • If it is not too late im going to start with Charmander on Fire red my hm slaves will be geodude and one water poke for surf (unsure of which one yet just catch it when i need it) god i make the start difficult with brock and misty

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
    Years
  • If it is not too late im going to start with Charmander on Fire red my hm slaves will be geodude and one water poke for surf (unsure of which one yet just catch it when i need it) god i make the start difficult with brock and misty
    Brock falls to metal claw. It might take a few turns, though.

Train your charmeleon until it learns flamethrower. It'll 2HKO Misty's starmie, even with a neutral nature. ^_^

Golduck makes a superior HM slave.

Well, I just defeated Blaine.
    It was quite literally an epic flamewar. XD Eventually, my charizard killed his arcanine with a wonderfully STAB'ed aerial ace.

My team:

The 3rd Generation Power House Challenge

Flamer
    Level 54
    Bashful nature
    Slash, brick break, flamethrower, and aerial ace.

Now.. onto Giovanni!

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • Update #4
    - Started on my way to Vermillion City, beating all the trainers on the way.
    - Got my Bike Voucher, and back-tracked to pick it up.
    - Made it back to Vermillion, and began my methodical beat-down of everyone on the S.S. Anne.
    - Took out Gary with no trouble. (Level 35 Clefairy vs level 16-20s. :3 )
    - Got the Cut HM.
    - Caught a Meowth (Male, Level 12, Quirky - HM/Pickup Slave) and taught it Cut so I could get into the Gym.
    - Taught my Clefairy Brick Break to deal with the stupid Magnemite and random Rock types I've been having trouble with.
    - Beat Lt. Surge pretty easily. Raichu managed to get in a few Double Teams, which made it a little annoying.
    - Went over to Rt. 11 and defeated all the trainers.

Clefairy: Level 39, Naughty
    Pound, Brick Break, Moonlight, Cosmic Power

Years
  • Brock falls to metal claw. It might take a few turns, though.

Train your charmeleon until it learns flamethrower. It'll 2HKO Misty's starmie, even with a neutral nature. ^_^

Golduck makes a superior HM slave.

Well, I just defeated Blaine.
    It was quite literally an epic flamewar. XD Eventually, my charizard killed his arcanine with a wonderfully STAB'ed aerial ace.

My team:

Flamer
    Level 54
    Bashful nature
    Slash, brick break, flamethrower, and aerial ace.

Now.. onto Giovanni!

Thanks for the advice but i kinda already passed both of them i stayed up all night (i couldnt sleep i have a cold)
    Update 1 2 3 4 5

Charizard
    Level 62 (god i love the vs seeker it saves a lot of time not having to fight week wild pokes fight trainers)
    Slash
    Flamethrower
    Brick Break (celeadon is the best shop yet)
    Arial Ace

Just beat Lt Surge Too Fricken Easy flamethrower flamethrower Flamethrower Dead
    And saved it heading to Lavndertown duing the cave with out flash thats what i usually do i kinda know the cave like the back of my hand
    made it through the cave did everything thing and saved it in front of erika after defeated
    Got alll 8 badges didnt take that long as soon as i hit like lv 55
    im heading for the elite Four
    ^^^^^^ Charizard Update ^^^^

Last edited:

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I'll try it out as need something to do while grounded. I plan on using Charmander as my powerhouse throughout the game (beat the Elite Four twice).

Will start tomorrow. Thanks. :)

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    I'm clearing the list of those inactive. Also added Hall of Fame for those that do it multiple times like Tashiro.

Last edited:

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Power House Challenge - Charmander

Named my trainer 'JD', then started off with Charmander. Did all the quests to lead up to the first gym, beat Brock with ease thanks to a critical Metal Claw hit, then went up to Misty. I beat her with ease also because of Mega Punch. Trained for about twenty minutes, then went off, beat Lt. Surge, went through the Rock Tunnel, beat Erika, beat Giovanni.

Too make a long story short, I'm up to Blaine and I'm just about to start again after my homework. Wish me luck!

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I want to sign up for the challenge. I will be starting a new game in Leafgreen. I am choosing Jigglypuff! =D

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    UPDATE:

I beat Blaine and Giovanni with ease on my first tries. Very easy! Now I am just training on the sea routes, then I will try my luck with the Elite Four. Should be training for my second attempt tomorrow night or something.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    I wish to undertake a powerhouse challenge on FR with Pikachu. Wish me luck against Brock :P

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    When I first started this thread I was doing a Pikachu run but stopped after I had trouble with second round of Elite 4. Brock is the least of your worries.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    I quit already, I'm not grinding past level 20 on caterpies and weedles just to beat brock

Back