• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Americanization of D/P

Years
  • They usually change the spelling for US release. And by the way, this thread is for ideas of what they will change, not if they will or not.

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 22, 2006
    The names for them have already been comfirmed.

Buizeru -> Buoysel
    Perappu -> Perap
    Tamanta -> Tamanta
    Manafi -> Manaphy
    Lucario -> Lucario
    Manyula -> Weavile
    Usohachi -> Bonsly
    Manene -> Mime Jr.
    Shinou -> Shino(I think)

Years
  • Buizeru -> Buoysel
    Perappu -> Perap
    Tamanta -> Tamanta
    Manafi -> Manaphy

Those ones are not confirmed. I saw them posted as a suggestion for the real names on some other message board.

Anyway, Perappu - Parrap

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 22, 2006
    Buoysel is confirmed I'm almost 100% sure but I am actually not sure about the other ones.

I like Tamanta I think it should stap the same.

Katakoe

Blah!
    Years
  • Manafi's named been confirmed in English. o.O
    It's Manaphy like Seda said.

But personally, I don't reckon they'll go to far.

Years
  • From WIKIPEDIA
    Manaphy is the official romanization of マナフィ

Not the official Americanization. See, I is pronounced like Y in Manaphy's name, and it is not typical to end a word in I in the enlgish language. Thus, I is changed to Y.

As for Buizeru, combine the English spelling of buoy with the SEL part of weasel and you get the romanization. Want to know how it works? Rs are like Ls in the Japanese language. Also, you cannot end a word with a consanent in Japanese either, so a U sound is placed at the end. Hence Buizeru. Same property with Perappu.

Ok, Japanese to English lesson is over.

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 22, 2006
    Buoysel works for an english name even if it is not confirmed. He is a Weasel with a Buoy on his Neck. It would be pronounced Bu-e-sul. I like the way Boy-sul(my way) sounds though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2006
    seda said:
    The names for them have already been comfirmed.

Buizeru -> Buoysel
    Perappu -> Perap
    Tamanta -> Tamanta
    Manafi -> Manaphy
    Lucario -> Lucario
    Manyula -> Weavile
    Usohachi -> Bonsly
    Manene -> Mime Jr.
    Shinou -> Shino(I think)

It should be Rukario -> Lucario. Also, those aren't the English names, they're romanizations (all but Lucario, Weavile, Bonsly and Mime Jr.)

Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 22, 2006
    Lucario is actually the offical romanization of his japanese name(there was dispute about this).

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Shinoh sounds reasonable actually... since Nintendo of America likes to add those 'H's' into so many of the names when they translate it.
    Oo

As for the Proffesor's name change... Whats a tree that hasn't been taken yet??
    hmmm....

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2008
    Drew said:
    Shinoh sounds reasonable actually... since Nintendo of America likes to add those 'H's' into so many of the names when they translate it.
    Oo

As for the Proffesor's name change... Whats a tree that hasn't been taken yet??
    hmmm....

There was a discussion about this a while back.

Let's see... here's a partial list I googled up: https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/common_namesa_e.html

Interesting... Ash is the name of a tree =P

Well, they could use Prof. Crape, or Prof. Corktree, or even better, Prof. Chokeberry.

(yeah, I was being sarcastic about the last two)

Like I said, there's an old thread about Prof. name suggestions, and they had some good ones too, but I can't remember them ^_^;

Back