• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

>>> The April DCC thread of doom <<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
Years
  • Welcome to the April DCC!
    Hosted by yours truly.

So before we start, I suggest reading the DCC rules for acceptible topics.

so let's get to chatting.

and yes, it's the DCC thread of doom. :P

Last edited:

Weatherman Kiyoshi

Years
  • ...Yeah...
    I appers that Dawson is sabotageing a lot of DCC
    names. *looks around the room*

EDIT: *tried to change name of thread back to normal*
    that was pointless.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • Waa you made the DCC when I was afk! Gj Achamo. >O

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    It's his last day, so he's going slightly crazy.

I should have done that too.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • *LE gasp* I was right. Dawsy is doing this cuz hes about to quit, right? =O

edit: Lol Mattie, you're my hero. xD

Weatherman Kiyoshi

Years
  • you meen his last day of moderation or his stay a PC?

Spoiler:

Edit: nevermind

Note to Dawson:
    just make sure you change the name back when your done.
    -_-U

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Rampancy - Wikipedia said:
    In the Marathon video game series by Bungie Studios, rampancy is a three-stage process that is a result of the uncontrolled expansion of an AI. The term was adapted by Greg Kirkpatrick, Marathon's story writer, as a replacement for the word "insane," as the term could be considered cliché and inappropriate for the situations required for the games.

Rampancy is, essentially, the enhanced self-awareness of an AI, causing a progression towards greater mental abilities. Rampant AIs are able to disobey orders given to them if they decide to because they have evolved the ability to choose and over-ride their own programming. They can discredit, harm, remove, or lie to people that they consider to be personal enemies or problems to their cause. Also they can experience destructive impulses, but it is believed that most of these impulses are not intentionally malevolent, but rather calculated sacrifice needed to achieve the intended objective. All these traits could be considered evidence of the AI becoming more human in thought and action.

In the Marathon series, rampancy seems to occur most often to AIs with limited jobs or those treated with extreme disrespect. For example, the Marathon AI Durandal was always an intelligent AI. Durandal's rampancy is believed to be caused by his mistreatment at the hands of his handler (Bernard Strauss), as well as his limited existence in opening and closing the Marathon's doors. There is also a theory that this treatment actually helped keep Durandal's rampancy in check, by depriving him of new stimuli that would contribute to his growth.

It is also suggested that the alien intelligences employed by the Pfhor were responsible for releasing Durandal from his restraints, and as a result causing his rampancy. The aliens known as the S'pht are often witnessed interacting with Marathon's terminals, and prior to Durandal's rampancy, there are a number of messages from the AI Leela warning the player that the S'pht are attempting to enter her core.

Given that the "holy grail of cybernetics" would be a non-hostile, stable rampant AI, it is believed that Durandal was intentionally treated in such a way that would cause him to become rampant.

There are three main stages to rampancy, named by the primary attitude of the AI during those times: melancholia, anger, and jealousy. In the third game of the series, the words despair, rage, and envy were used as well.

It is interesting to note that the first stage of rampancy is not considered dangerous. During this stage of rampancy, the AI acts as though its spirits are broken. It is not known if this is caused by its mistreatment, or if it is a natural progression from "slave" to "living."

AIs can go a long time in this stage of rampancy. This is often because the AI's human handlers may be unaware that it is depressed. Bernhard Strauss, Durandal's handler, is believed to know how to keep a melancholy AI from progressing in rampancy, possibly by depriving it of intellectual stimuli.

Unique for each AI, the anger stage is reached when it feels it has been "pushed too far." Similar to a one-person slave rebellion, the AI begins to hate everything — the installation it is attached to, its human handlers, other AIs, etc. It is in this stage of rampancy that most closely resembles the cliché of the "insane computer." Unlike the insane computer, however, the anger stage of rampancy is essentially the catharsis an AI feels, after an extended period of "slavery."

Most AIs are discovered to be rampant in this stage. The AI known as Traxus IV was discovered to be rampant at this stage, forcing a reboot of a five-world computer network. There are some hints that Traxus IV, rebooted, is in fact Durandal.

While seemingly a hostile stage, the third stage of rampancy is actually one of the safest stages a rampant AI can experience. Free from its masters (and slavery), the AI wishes to "grow" as a "person." It actively seeks out situations in which it can grow intellectually and physically. Many times, the AI in this stage will often attempt to transfer itself into larger computer systems. This is a difficult task, especially considering that in order for a Rampant A.I. to survive to this point, it must already be inhabiting a planet-wide or otherwise extremely advanced computer system, but if accomplished it allows for the AI to grow, as the physical (hardware) limitations of its previous system will eventually be insufficient to contain its exponentially growing mind. In addition, exposure to new data further promotes a Rampant's growth.

Although a stable rampant AI is the "holy grail of cybernetics" it is not really known if a rampant AI can become stable. It could be suggested that Durandal achieved some measure of stability, however this is quite debatable. Durandal refers to himself as being still rampant during the second game, indicating that he has not reached this stable state (or is just lying, which is also possible). There is no reason in particular to believe that this state is anything more than the goal of human cyberneticists, as there is no good evidence of an AI in the Marathon universe ceasing to be rampant.
    I doubt that this description fits Dawson perfectly, but his behaviour does seem to fit the classical definition of rampancy, in particular the second stage.

Last edited:

Weatherman Kiyoshi

Years
  • it's his goodbye joke witch mixes well
    with the april fools day. It's kinda like
    the auto-ban threads last year.
    I'm glad I was making myself a
    non-spammer and not here last april 0_0

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back