• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Baton Pass Challenge

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
Years
  • The Baton Pass challenge
    Beat some gyms, then pass on the save

The Baton Pass Challenge is all about sharing the fun! Every time two gyms are beaten, the current player passes on the save file so it can be picked up by the next attendee. Each player that picks up the save can choose two pokemon to add to the team before passing on the save. But here's the catch: The next player then chooses one of the earlier player's two Pokémon and kicks it out of the team.

Here's an example on how this could take place:
    • Player 1 starts in Pallet Town. He plays the game until he has defeated Misty. Over the course of this time he has caught a Rattata along his Bulbasaur.
    • Player 2 gets Player 1's save and chooses to kick out Bubasaur. Player 2 catches 2 new Pokémon, Oddish and Abra, which he uses to defeat Surge and Erika. After Erika is done he passes on the save.
    • Player 3 gets the save and chooses to kick out Oddish. Player 3 is not allowed to kick out Rattata! Only the ones from the Player just before him! He then goes on to beat the next two gyms.
      Starting to see a pattern? :)

Rules

1. Every time two gyms are defeated you pass on the save
    2. You get to choose two Pokémon for the team, one of these gets kicked out by the next player
    3. Legendaries are NOT permitted!
    4. HM Slaves ARE PERMITTED and are not included in a player's two Pokémon. Therefore, they cannot be kicked out either.
    5. Team members must have nicknames! This gives a more emotional bond with the team. :)

Signups

There are two types of signups possible, Individual signup and Group signup:

• Individual signup:
      This is the simplest type of game. You sign up with the form below, designating which game you want to play and what player number you will have in the row. I.e. two players before you have already signed up for the game as player 1 and player 2, so you are player 3.
      If you are player 1, then you can begin to play immediately, but if you are player 2 you will have to wait for player 1 to send the save file either as an attachment to his/her post or in a PM, although preferably both.
      If there are no players in the row to pass on the save to, you HAVE TO attach it to a post. This way others can pick it up immediately when they sign up. To avoid confusion in such case, you are obliged to write a post saying something along the lines of "I'm taking save from here"

There are 5 players in a game. Player 1 takes gym 1&2, Player 2 takes gym 3&4, Player 3 takes gym 5&6, Player 4 takes gym 7&8, and Player 5 takes on everything afterwards. Player 5 can very well be the same as player 1! My experience is that it is extremely enjoyable for the players to see how their team has progressed! :)
      The exception to this rule is Gold/Silver and their remakes, where the games keep going after the league, concluding in a game with 10 players(!).

SIGNUP EXAMPLE
      Spoiler:
    • Group signup:
      This is for when you have already decided on a group to play with. Maybe you have a few good friends that you would like to do this challenge with. If that is the case, and you have already talked the others in to trying out the challenge, then this type of signup is simple. Just like in the Individual signup, you have to pass on the save file to the next player in the order. This order is a cycle, so any number of players will be able to do the challenge together. an example could be a three person scenario: After defeating two gyms, player 1 simply passes on the save to player 2, who passes it on to player 3, who passes it back to player 1. This cycles on until the game is beat!

SIGNUP EXAMPLE
      Spoiler:

Challenges in progress

Individual signups
    Emerald - P1:Blu·Ray - P2:Shrak - P3:kirax7 - P4:Black Ninetales - P5:Zorogami
    LeafGreen - P1:ShadowGreninja - P2:Black Ninetales - P3:Avadon14 - P4:gio7sm - P5:ShadowGreninja
    FireRed - P1:AoTora - P2:ShadowGreninja - P3:alvmonster - P4:Zorogami - P5:AoTora
    Blue - P1:Feraligatr13 - P2:alvmonster - P3:GucciMeme - P4:Blu·Ray - P5:Feraligatr13
    Black - P1:classiccatroonsftw - P2:GucciMeme - P3:EMPTY
    Platinum - P1:KKJ - P2:TeunCornflakes - P3:GucciMeme - P4:MusikMaestro - P5:EMPTY
    Gold - P1:Feraligatr13 - P2:Sage Ghetsis - P3:shadic249 - P4:alvmonster - P5:matzeho - P6:GucciMeme - P7:TeunCornflakes - P8:EMPTY
    Sapphire - P1:AoTora - P2:Stygian - P3:Feraligatr13 - P4:TeunCornflakes - P5:AoTora
    Yellow - P1:GucciMeme - P2:Snorlax44 - P3:GucciMeme - P4:EMPTY

Group signups
    Gold - P1:Zorogami - P2:Feraligatr13 - P3:Blu·Ray
    Gold - P1:Avadon14 - P2:ShadowGreninja
    HeartGold - P1:SuperGamer543210 - P2:Feraligatr13
    FireRed - P1:Mathezo1996 - P2:GucciMeme - P3:TeunCornflakes - P4: feraligatr13 - P5:Mathezo1996

Completed challenges

Individual signups
    None so far

Group signups
    None so far

Last edited:

✎ BlueFoxCreations

Developing Pokémon Alibi
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2017
    Alright, This sounds really interesting and unique, I'd love to see how it progresses.

Username: CDChaser
    Game: Emerald
    Player Position: Player 2

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • Progress update!

Played through the first two gyms, and I must say, only choosing two Pokémon was really hard... But here they are:

Spr_3e_271.gif

Miror B. lv. 22
    Bullet Seed
    Nature Power
    Absorb
    Fake Out
    Spr_3e_253.gif

Banana lv. 21
    Quick Attack
    Cut
    Absorb
    Fury Cutter

Feel free to chose whichever one you like, be evil, be good, be funny, be serious. But remember to have fun!

Update in a picture-and-text kind of style:
    Spoiler:

TL;DR:
    92VZSG.gif

I'm passing the baton on to you, CDChaser!
    Save attached as .sav and .sgm ;)

✎ BlueFoxCreations

Developing Pokémon Alibi
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2017
    Quick Pre-Update before I head off to bed;
    Caught the two pokemon I'll be using, Aron and Elektrike, Steella and Shocker respectively. I decided to box Banana. I'm currently training up Steella, who's at level 20, to challenge Wattson. Sorry about the long wait!

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    Username: ShadowGreninja
    Game: LeafGreen
    Player Position: Player 1

✎ BlueFoxCreations

Developing Pokémon Alibi
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2017
    *Sigh* I've decided to drop out of the challenge. I have made significant progress with the save, actually completed my side of things, but unfortunately, my computer has too many disadvantages. One of those being it refuses to upload things, or in other words. I'm having trouble adding the attachment. As much as I regret to say this, I'm gonna pass the Baton on. Shrak, it's up to you to take my place. Sorry guys, maybe when I get a new computer, the one I've been dying for, I'll join the challenge again. But for now, Good Luck!

*Oh yeah, Forgot to mention, all of the posts I make are made on my Blackberry PlayBook, hence the reason I talk about my computer like that.

Last edited:

Lycanroc

under the sun
    Years
  • This seems like a great challenge! I'll sign up!

Username: Black Ninetales
    Game: Emerald
    Player Position: Player 4 (since CDC dropped out)

And...

Username: Black Ninetales
    Player Position: Player 2

Last edited:

Avadon14

Little Pocket Monster
    Years
  • Username: Avadon14
    Game: Leafgreen
    Player position: Player 3
    I'm quite excited for the Baton to be passed on to me!

Last edited:

Etherion

Game: Leaf Green
    Player Position: Player 4

Ill be joining:
    ShadowGreninja
    Black Ninetales
    Avadon14

super excited guys! lets do this!

I suggest having a nicknaming theme for this letsplay

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2015
    I got the save file. I caught Aaron an Makuhita and boxed Banana. I'm now training for Watson. :)

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Letting both Blu-Ray and Feraligatr13 know i got started on Gold, and just won my/our first badge! Im thinking i should be done later today, maybe tomorrow. Also, a question: Since we are only 3 guys, would that mean we just keep sending the save around until we beat Red? That would be awesome :D

~Justified~

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    Alright, then I'll be Player 5! Since the rules say player 1 can also be player 5, I'd love to see how the team progresses ^_^

Username: ShadowGreninja
    Player Position: 5

Can't wait to see how this goes ^_^
    Btw I beat Brock, the Team consists of Butterfree and Bulbasaur right now. Heading over to Cerulean City!:)

Etherion

Goodluck shadowgreninja!! I suggest that we will have a nicknaming theme in this lp... Thoughts?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Alright, i got the first 2 badges! Feraligatr13, your turn now (:
    You have to go through Ilex Forest next. If you guys want a little taste of what i did, here is a gif:

DBvXeY.gif

~Justified~

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    Goodluck shadowgreninja!! I suggest that we will have a nicknaming theme in this lp... Thoughts?

Hm..Let's nickname them after their scientific-classification order!:D
    For example, my bulbasaur could be nicknamed "Anura", to find the scientific classification of the animal, just go to wikipedia's page for that animal, and on the right, it will be under a label reading "Scientific Classification" and to the right of the "Order" label. It's pretty easy to find.

Bulbasaur's Nickname: Anura
    Butterfree's Nickname: Lepitera (Lepidoptera Didn't Fit the Character Limit, So I Adjusted It ^_^)

Etherion

Hm..Let's nickname them after their scientific-classification order!:D
    For example, my bulbasaur could be nicknamed "Anura", to find the scientific classification of the animal, just go to wikipedia's page for that animal, and on the right, it will be under a label reading "Scientific Classification" and to the right of the "Order" label. It's pretty easy to find.

Bulbasaur's Nickname: Anura
    Butterfree's Nickname: Lepitera (Lepidoptera Didn't Fit the Character Limit, So I Adjusted It ^_^)

thanks for letting my idea through! looking forward to name my scientific pokemon!

What about the ones that aren't based on animals? Like Voltorb or Ditto?

Oh yeah! I was thinking about that a while ago.... hm? what shall we do ShadowGreninja?

Last edited:

Avadon14

Little Pocket Monster
    Years

• What about the ones that aren't based on animals? Like Voltorb or Ditto?

While for voltorb, I personally have no clue, maybe just stay away from it?
    But for like Ditto, you could liken it to an Ameoba (which would be Tubulinida or a variation of the sort to fit)
    The orders aren't just for animals, any living thing does, with possible exceptions.

Back