• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Battle Tower is really quite disgusting.

Bird Keeper

Master of the Skies
    Years
    I was on my 28th match today and just thinking that I might *finally* get a chance to take on Palmer for the second time.

Unfortunately, it was then that I ran into SuperFroslass.

At first, I just thought it was a regular Froslass, but it turns out that this one had two awesome moves I've never seen anywhere else:

1. The Ice Beam That Always Freezes.

2. The Confuse Ray That Always Makes You Hit Yourself At Least Four Times In A Row.

So my entire team (Garchomp, Empoleon, and Zapdos, all IV and EV trained to competitive standards with the best possible natures, movesets and items) is slowly swept away over 12+ turns without any of them being even able to launch a single attack!

Really, the game developers ought to be ashamed if this is the only way they can think of to challenge people. I'm almost tempted to use an Action Replay for infinite health just to see how the CPU likes it.

Disgusting!

Captain Gordon

Defender of Earth
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Feb 25, 2011
    Wow. You must have some of the worst luck ever. But it does seem that the CPU opponents have better luck with status. Like how they freeze you way more often than you freeze them. And freezing is extremely rare anyway, ( at least for me it is ) so if they froze you every single time, thats just either some of the worst luck ever or some kind of glitch/ somthing a programmer snuck in as a joke / mistake.

Years
    sometimes it feels like it really screws you over huh?

i always hate it when they start using double team.

my record is 49 in singles wins, after i beat the legendarys i took a break, both to relax & celebrate, but i guess i lost the zone because battle 50 went; miss, hax, crit, dead.

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
    Tell me about it.

It amuses me when there Pokemon seem to have 100% effect rates on no matter what attack or ability they are using.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    bah I gave up on the battletower. I got fed up with the strongest oppenent happens to be the 7th one, and the 6th one before palmer. It makes me wanna hit my screen.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    That happens to me a lot, but what I really hate is in the Battle Factory I choose the level 50 challenge and all I get is basic Pokemon. Then my opponents have Pokemon like Pidgeot and Butterfree or Gabite. How do I take down these Pokemon with a Totodile with low speed, defense and hp. Pidgeot is just like quick attack and I'm dead.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    The Battle Tower is super annoying, IMO. Sure, my team isn't trained to competitive standards, but they're good enough against the in-game AI. What's really annoys me is how my game "convieniently" freezes at the end of a run (e.g. 7th battle) and loses my streak. That's just annoying.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    Me: *sees a Magikarp use Roar of Time*
    WTF THAT'S NOT RIGHT?
    *sends a message to gamefreak*
    Receives message back, saying: "oh yes, it's right, it's the battle tower"
    Me: "oh right.. I forgot. Duh."

The battle tower is made to annoy you. Live with it or forget about the Battle Tower. I can't be bothered to even try getting the gold print.. sheesh, that place is worse than the friggin Battle Pyramid in Emerald.. and that's saying a lot too ~_~

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I got so fed up with the hax luck in that place that I stopped even trying or caring about it. Seriously, I don't mind if a game is challenging and it requires skill to beat, but when the only challenge comes from luck, that's where I have to draw the line.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol, i just ignored it once i battled Palmer once.

All i cared about was that my BulkyDDNite was superior to his Dragonite, and i nearly beat him cept for confusion off Outrage OHKOing me in the face, then his Milotic Ice Beamed my underlevelled Dragonairs (only there for the ribbon)

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
    A bit, I can understand you guys...^^ Luck is most on my site, my Latias always OHKOs everything in Palmer's team except for Milotic, but after 40 battles, my whole luck suddenly vanishes and almost every trainer keeps pwning my pokes and most of the time, I win with only one Poke left... Usually I get a 40-something streak, but one time I owned the 2nd Palmer and got pwned really hard by the 50th trainer... They seem to cheat the longer your streak is...^^

Zowayix

hi
    Years
    Does anyone think that the Battle Tower is actually rigged?

As in, the game is actually programmed to give Ice Beam like a 50% freezing chance, increased critical hits, etc. for the AI?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Probably not.I reckon it gives all AIs 2 abilities-standard, and Serene Grace.

Although, i once got hit with Double Edge, and the opponent didn't take any damage, so i used Selfdestruct, and it said "Damp prevents combatants from self-destructing".So it had Rock Head AND Damp!

Bird Keeper

Master of the Skies
    Years
    Does anyone think that the Battle Tower is actually rigged?

As in, the game is actually programmed to give Ice Beam like a 50% freezing chance, increased critical hits, etc. for the AI?

Probably. This sort of thing is common in a lot of games, actually. It's meant to challenge the player while compensating for the limitations of AI programming. Like in racing games where the AI cars will get sudden anomalous bursts of speed when they're behind. I find it frustrating, but it's standard practice.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
    I can understand a game's computerized opponents getting a bit of a boost. When playing D&D, sometimes my DM cheats on dice rolls to orchestrate a more even battle(though NPC's in tabletop roleplaying games get the benefit of sharing the same human mind as well). It still seems like it'd be a bit unfair, though, to give the Battle Tower's NPC's that same boost and still inhibit item use.

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    28th match,eh? *pats back* Its ok but wow..Super Froslass...
    The move you are talking about that "hits you four times or so" is it perhaps confuse ray and the pokemon is confused?Or Flinch,perhaps?

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
    I know exactly what you mean. I just can't count how many times my streak got broken because something like a garchomp getting a critical hit on my blastoise before I could blizzard him, or hydro pump missing against a rhyperior (who was somehow faster than my blastoise and infernape), but of course nothing beats chimeco using hypnosis and putting all three of my pokemon to sleep( this is why the sleep clause exists.)!

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Guys, I know we all love to complain about the facilities and the luck factor, heck, back in DP, I lost at 165 to a Double Team Raikou.

... but at the heart of it all, it's a good portion of the time, your fault. (heck, I misplayed Raikou early on, hence the loss)

If you don't know by now that they've got luck on their side and you aren't prepared for such, or even prepared to lose to horrific luck eventually, you're in for a lot of frustration. We've all been there, anyone who's had to deal with the battle facilities has had that gut-ripping loss, no matter where in the facilities. The battle facilities were built with that cheap luck in mind, but you can take advantage of it and other battle facility weaknesses easily. It's a part of the strategic madness. :D

all IV and EV trained to competitive standards with the best possible natures, movesets and items
    And for what environment? If they're the "best" at each in terms of competitive play, once again, you're at fault. You walked into a facility that mostly depends on entirely different strategies, movesets, thinking, preparation, and more. Slapping three competitive monsters will help you take care of Palmer one, but there's a good chance you don't make it to palmer two because you're wild open to luck, and when you reach the real battle tower battles (50 and on), you'll probably be that piece of paper in a shredder.

There are so many resources on the internet to help any tower or frontier battler take advantage of the facilities, use the right movesets, creating teams that can handle the luck, etc. I didn't get over 150 in both the Tower or 170 in the Arcade because I took it on blindly or used sets meant for other places.

Lance (UFA) said:
    Probably not.I reckon it gives all AIs 2 abilities-standard, and Serene Grace.

Although, i once got hit with Double Edge, and the opponent didn't take any damage, so i used Selfdestruct, and it said "Damp prevents combatants from self-destructing".So it had Rock Head AND Damp!
    Just no. I've played as many battles as the weeks you've been alive, there are no pokémon that have both of their abilities in the tower or frontier, get real Lance. :P Also, there are no pokémon with both damp and rock head for possible abilities, so c'mon. XD;

Meepman said:
    but of course nothing beats chimeco using hypnosis and putting all three of my pokemon to sleep
    Substitute says hi, use it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™ said:
    Seriously, I don't mind if a game is challenging and it requires skill to beat, but when the only challenge comes from luck, that's where I have to draw the line.
    If this was all luck and no skill, the same people wouldn't be getting large streaks over and over again.

It's a shame you lost to the Froslass, Bird Keeper, but take this as a chance to rethink how you handle the tower, and do your homework, I'll bet you'll get a lot farther.

Last edited:
    Back