• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Church in Hearthome..

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    This is why I hate the internet.
    Haha

As for the building, I also felt like it was meant for "something greater" that would ultimately help you in your journey playing the game.

And to be honest, I feel as if religion has no real place in Pokemon games, there's really no purpose for it. Too much thought has been put into this as well... The structure of the building is "church inspired" and that's it. It would have made sense for it to have a special type of event take place within it (considering how huge it is), but I guess that's not the case.

It's a nice piece of pixel artwork lol.

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2010
    they do have religion and it makes scence for people in their world to look at pokemon ad think of them as gods they are polytheistic like the greeks they believe in more than one god arceus created the universe groudon created the earth kyogre created the seas girtinia created the reverse world regigigas pulled the contenants together the titans of fire ice and lightning.ect
    I thought it had something to do with the Old Chateau...(sp?)
    Because an old woman in there said, no matter how weak the pokemon, you have to give it love blah blah blah. Rotom reference perhaps? D :
    Not sure though.
    Rotom is a referance to Pulseman another game developed by gamefreak

Last edited:

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    XD I didn't expect this to be so post frenzy. Well we've already established the purpose of the building itself (it says right on the Town Map that it's a "Cultural Center" and not a church/cathedral even though it looks like one on the outside.)

I'm not in support that Pokemon is trying to force a religion, I was just thinking such a fantastic looking building would give you a cool item/Pokemon inside or maybe have some trainers (LOL, how sweet would battles in a church be?).

I mean, I love the look of it anyway, it's quite nice to see it amongst the town. But if it's a 'cultural center' i think more should be bustling around inside, that would have made it a bit more interesting. But no harm done ^^

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    they do have religion and it makes scence for people in their world to look at pokemon ad think of them as gods they are polytheistic like the greeks they believe in more than one god arceus created the universe groudon created the earth kyogre created the seas girtinia created the reverse world regigigas pulled the contenants together the titans of fire ice and lightning.ect

I myself am not saying it doesn't make sense, I'm just saying there's no real place for religion in a pokemon game. And anyways, where do you reference them believing in Gods? If you're talking about the elders and the ancient people in the world of pokemon, then that does not mean that the modern people believe in these Gods as well.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2010

If that is so then it would be one huge religion, 493 odd gods, worse than trying to remember the cyrillic alphabet

Tacogeddon

Pokemonidae
    Years
    And god said, USE FLASH, and there was light.

But yeah, Bulbapedia confirms lack of music, and the name "The Foreign Building" so I'm not sure if those who practice their religion in the church are from a far-off land, or if it was just something lost in translation.

Apparently, if translated literally from Japanese, the name is "Foreign Culture Building" so the far-off land idea sounds even more possible that way.

Blaziken_Boy

Back for now
    Years
    Whenever I enter the church, the Mother 3 Church music plays in my head. That didn't have much of a use either, and it was still one of the best areas in the game.

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
    Whenever I enter the church, the Mother 3 Church music plays in my head. That didn't have much of a use either, and it was still one of the best areas in the game.

Oddly enough, the chruch/temple in Mother 3 was the connection to real life,
    since it asked of the player's name (the REAL player). Even though it had no in-game purpose, it felt very important and was one of the most impacting buildings on my memory of Mother 3 once I reminisce. Relating that to the... building in hearthome just proves
    that the building shows the resemblance to our world. In fact, Hearthome is the most down-to-our-earth place in the game. Baby strollers, a park, lots of buildings,
    wandering people, etc... It's no coincidence that they placed the temple there.
    That just finished the feel of actuality.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    The church is a nice place for some quiet, and to hear Chatot without all the background music. Er, I guess it has some kind of importance, but I just guess it goes with the whole Arceus creation myth.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    Well of course they wouldn't come right out and say that, the Christians already think Pokemon is the devil! Lol

You're saying that rather liberally, aren't you?
    Not all Christians think Pokemon is satanic, you know! V_V

To keep this post in topic, I'll say this:
    I would have liked it to serve a greater purpose in the storyline, yes, but I do not believe it's pointless. Some people already mentioned the stained glass window and the delightful things the NPCs say, and I agree :P
    xX

Denzer

Why so serious?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    Maybe it is there to obtain the Azure Flute in a future event,

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
    In the background, in the chruch, you see the Spear Pillar.
    So, it must have some importance somehow, maybe a Nintendo Event.
    Who honestly know though?

Years
    I think it's an interesting little addition to the pokemon games, even if it doesn't really serve a purpose for the game

The Red Chain

For religion purposes I will stick to calling it the Foreign Building.
    I rather like it myself, it's the only place in the game where it's completely quiet.. FINALLY

Not to mention the lovely stained glass of Mt. Coronet, which just so happens to be my favorite plot point in the whole game.

Ársa

k.
    Years
    ^This kind of thing definitely needs to happen. If they made Pokemon more fun with daily/weekly/holiday events (BRING BACK THE BUG CATCHING CONTESTS) and maybe like Animal Crossing/Zelda where you had trade sequences and gift exchanges, it'd make for something to do when you're not battling.

Alas, the poor cathedral shall remain meaningless.

I'm not sure if people are aware, but Pokemon has been linked to Devil worship and Satanism blah blah. This may be a sign from the developers to those of religious beliefs, including the Church.

Back