• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The classic debate: Flygon vs Garchomp

Well well well.

• Flygon

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Garchomp

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
  • Both have good designs, both are very memorable, and Garchomp has insane stats for a non-legendary Pokemon. Which one do you prefer and why?

(I'm going with Chomp because power > design for me and he can take roles such as sweeper, wallbreaker or defensive tank)

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Both memorable?
    I can't for the life of me remember what garchomp looks like.
    Flygon for me :)

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • Gonna go with Flygon. Garchomp is stronger, but both are strong Pokemons, plus Flygon has the better design imo.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Garchomp by a long shot for me. It's probably my favorite Dragon-type, it's the signature Pokémon of my favorite Pokémon trainer, and it's the dragon of my favorite gen. That's not to say that I dislike Flygon, I loved Flygon to death in Sapphire when I used it and I really do want it to get a Mega Evolution soon, but I just like Garchomp so much more.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • For me Flygon is one the the iconic Pokemon of the Hoenn Region, and Dragon-types for that matter. Garchomp is great too, but for me it feels too similar to the other Dragon-type Pseudo legends.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Flygon has always seemed a bit of a meh Pokemon to me.

There are numerous stories of Cynthia's Garchomp giving players all sorts of trouble and the evolved form of Gabite has the distinction of being a Champions Signature Pokemon. Garchomp's design is also better than Flygon.

Garchomp wins this in a walkover for me.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • In terms of stats and competitive viability, Garchamp far outclasses Flygon as a choice band wall breaker, tank, choice scarf sweeper, and SR suicide lead. (if Flygon has SR). Not to mention, Garchomp has superior coverage and set-up options.

As for design, its really subjective. I prefer Garchomp's design over Flygon's. In addition, Cynthia uses Garchomp!

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    I really didn't expect Garchomp to be winning this! There seems to be massive love for Flygon on the internet. I don't really like it that much and would choose Garchomp 10 times out of 10. Forget about stats and everything too, just purely cosmetically, design-wise Garchomp takes it for me. Plus like people have said, Cynthia has one and Cynthia is cool so... {:3}

Years
  • I'll be honest- if we're disregarding stats, movepools, etc., Flygon's never been a very memorable Pokemon to me, and if I had a choice between it and Garchomp, I'd pick the latter every time. Now, that's not to say that I'm a fan of Garchomp (since I've never been a big fan of its design), but Cynthia's Garchomp is probably one of the most memorable Pokemon you face in the games, which is part of the reason why it gets the nod from me.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    From a nostalgia factor, probably Flygon. I've never play DPPt, so Cynthia isn't really an important character to me, because I never had to face her Garchomp. In general, the first time I faced one (at least that I remember), was in gen 6.

However, the more I look at Flygon, the more I think about it not being that special, designwise. Imo, Garchomp doesn't look much better, either.

Years
  • I prefer Flygon's design immensely, which is saying something because I think Garchomp also has a great design. Being real though, Garchomp outclasses Flygon by miles and mile competitively (in-game it isn't such a big deal). Garchomp has greater stats, better coverage and is a more versatile pokemon.

Flygon craves a mega.

Years
  • Garchomp, everyone knows Garchomps are destroyers, if your Garchomp isn't, please return it for a full refund.
    But really, I like both, but Garchomp was more fun to use for me! Plus it has a mega~

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Garchomp is best flying Ground/Dragon type! It is the way cooler and stronger pokemon. And one of the most badass pokemon in the game!

Years
  • Garchomp is just plain awesome lol. I used to raise Flygon all the time, but after getting my first Gible and raising it, there was no contest. Another reason is my favorite Champion, which would be Cynthia, uses it. Fighting against her Garchomp with one of my own is always fun.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I personally prefer Flygon, I think it's design is overall better than Garchomp (I'm just a sucker for green tbh). Though in competitive, Garchomp is miles better than Flygon. I do agree with gimmiepie that Flygon is craving a mega evolution.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • Comparing them competitively wouldn't be fair because Garchomp is obviously better, but of course there's more to Pokemon than just their competitive prowess.

I like Flygon more. Its design is just so precious to me, and I would really like to see a Mega Flygon but something unique and not another cookie-cutter sweeper. Maybe it could have a unique ability that boosts the duration of Tailwind or something. (But then it would lose Levitate, oh no q.q ..)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Comparing them competitively wouldn't be fair because Garchomp is obviously better, but of course there's more to Pokemon than just their competitive prowess.

I like Flygon more. Its design is just so precious to me, and I would really like to see a Mega Flygon but something unique and not another cookie-cutter sweeper. Maybe it could have a unique ability that boosts the duration of Tailwind or something. (But then it would lose Levitate, oh no q.q ..)

I've always been toying with the idea that Mega Flygon could have Sand Stream for an ability, a reference to it's ability to cause sandstorms from flapping it's wings in it's Pokedex entries. Unfortunately though sandstorm's going to be near useless for him alone, but it does add another sandstorm over hippowdown/tyranitar.

Back