• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PunkerThanThou

way too punx for giraffes.
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 31, 2008
    I thought that's what you meant, and that's not really the case with Japanese. You may change a few of the words you use, but that's more out of politeness. Words don't have gender in Japanese and such.

So I've been lied to? Wtcrap? xD I guess I misunderstood the person I was talking to...It's still an interesting language regardless.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Well, languages like French have feminine and masculine words. ^^ I think it's more that Japanese women and men have different speech habits as a societal thing.

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    I listened to this thing on the radio saying that Japanese people who lived in paris, and they could hardly be social, french people talk so fast and as soon as you try and talk about something they change the subject..=/

Years
    I listened to this thing on the radio saying that Japanese people who lived in paris, and they could hardly be social, french people talk so fast and as soon as you try and talk about something they change the subject..=/

Its seems to me that every language talks faster than english >:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years

I'm sure people say that about English-speaking people too. XD It's all in your head. My brain can slow down the Japanese conversations and I understand every word. So, it all depends on how you perceive it.

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years

Some people do speak very quickly, but that's just about any language. Someone who spoke French would likely find a lot of English speakers to speak too quickly. Your native language will always be easier to understand; that's what you first learned and how others would usually be explained. When listening to another language, you'll usually translate it into your own language in your head. I'm told that after a while, you'll start thinking in it, and it gets easier.

The structure of the language would really affect how fast it seems, too; for a while, and even now some, I have trouble finding where words start and end if there are a number of new words. If you don't know what's being said, it's going to be a heck of a lot harder to translate, obviously.

(Morning migraine -- I hope this makes sense, but I wanted to put in my two cents. D: )

Years
    I'm sure people say that about English-speaking people too. XD It's all in your head. My brain can slow down the Japanese conversations and I understand every word. So, it all depends on how you perceive it.

Very true, indeed. I used to know spanish (please don't ask how I forgot to speak it, I really don't know), i would understand every word. It also depends on how much attention you have for the language.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Very true, indeed. I used to know spanish (please don't ask how I forgot to speak it, I really don't know), i would understand every word. It also depends on how much attention you have for the language.

I can speak Spanish too. Took it for like..7 or 8 years, but it's really not an exciting language nor did I want to learn it. But, Japanese is something I really like learning, so I am more capable of understanding it quicker, etc.

Years
    I can speak Spanish too. Took it for like..7 or 8 years, but it's really not an exciting language nor did I want to learn it. But, Japanese is something I really like learning, so I am more capable of understanding it quicker, etc.

I feel the exactly the same way. All through Elementary School and Part of middle school we had to learn spanish. Every kid hated it.

Years
    There was part of elementary school (1st or 2nd grade?) where we learned Spanish. I actually didn't mind it. I don't really remember what I learned, though. Except I can count in Spanish up to about 20. That's all I know of that language. It's sad, I know more Japanese than Spanish (and I don't know Japanese except for random phrases). XD;

You can't deny it'd be handy in the US, though. More and more people are speaking it. :/

My mom originally wanted me to take Spanish because it'd actually be useful in the US. I didn't want to, though; our school offered German. I was sold. 8D Luckily, she didn't force me to take it. And that's why I know a bit of German. I still can't speak it well. I want to keep learning. If I get into college classes again, I know I'll try my best to get into a German class. :3

Years
    There was part of elementary school (1st or 2nd grade?) where we learned Spanish. I actually didn't mind it. I don't really remember what I learned, though. Except I can count in Spanish up to about 20. That's all I know of that language. It's sad, I know more Japanese than Spanish (and I don't know Japanese except for random phrases). XD;

You can't deny it'd be handy in the US, though. More and more people are speaking it. :/

My mom originally wanted me to take Spanish because it'd actually be useful in the US. I didn't want to, though; our school offered German. I was sold. 8D Luckily, she didn't force me to take it. And that's why I know a bit of German. I still can't speak it well. I want to keep learning. If I get into college classes again, I know I'll try my best to get into a German class. :3

German is another interesting language that i would like to learn one day even though i probably won't have the time to learn it.

Olz.

The Magic Auroa
    Years
    In England, we have to learn French, German, Spanish...

I learn french at the moment. Every pupil hates it. Nobody wants to take it acsept for a handfull. We should have a choice to learn what laungage.. or any.. Since im in school council. We are trying to make it happen. Yay Power! :)

Years
    German is another interesting language that i would like to learn one day even though i probably won't have the time to learn it.
    I hope you do. It's a cool language, I think. 8D And there's lots of cognates, too. That's always a plus. :D

Sometimes I feel bad, because every once in awhile, I go "I kind of want to learn Japanese." But I'm so far in German, I don't think I actually will. I'd rather try to master one language than speak like a child in two. :/

I learn french at the moment. Every pupil hates it. Nobody wants to take it acsept for a handfull. We should have a choice to learn what laungage.. or any.. Since im in school council. We are trying to make it happen. Yay Power! :)

Yeah, forcing a language on someone in that way isn't the best idea. Even if you only offer those three, you should have a choice of which one you want to take, so that way, you'll have more fun.

Good luck with that. :D

Years
    Sometimes I feel bad, because every once in awhile, I go "I kind of want to learn Japanese." But I'm so far in German, I don't think I actually will. I'd rather try to master one language than speak like a child in two. :/

Well, I really want to learn japanese first, and i rather master Japanese like you said about German than speak like a little child in both languages.

My mind really always focus on one think in a different catergory at the moment. Right now it is japanese, but i will look into what you said about German. Thanks.

Last edited:

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
    Well, I really want to learn japanese first, and i rather aster Japanese like you said about German than speak like a little child in both languages.

My mind really always focus on one think in a different catergory at the moment. Right now it is japanese, but i will look into what you said about German. Thanks.

Just out of question, what is so special about making your text pretty? Its just annoying because I almost got blinded by those two colors you used on FG's Forgotten.

I hope you do. It's a cool language, I think. 8D And there's lots of cognates, too. That's always a plus. :D

Yeah, forcing a language on someone in that way isn't the best idea. Even if you only offer those three, you should have a choice of which one you want to take, so that way, you'll have more fun.

Good luck with that. :D

Well, I think here in the US we do have great langauge opportunities other than our current language and I couldnt even begin to name all of them because I dont know what they are but we do have a chance of learning many of them. X3;

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    German actually is a really interesting language. It's just..so throat-y par say. My math teacher can speak it. She counted to 50 in German. XD;

Years
    And there is a reason why people prefer not to use colored text. That reason being that most people dont want to blind others when they are using bright red layouts.

I sersiously fail at typing like Jack. XD

Maybe i should change it before we have another Electric Soldier Porygon moment 8D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back