• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    Computer network administration is what I'm currently going for right now... I may end up going on to another school to get a bachelor's degree in it after I earn my associate's degree.

That's what I plan on doing with accounting. I plan to get my associate's degree then my bachelor's degree because I will save money my first two years.

Years
    My first conversation via Skype with people from another countries (with PC people). I was feeling weird and shy at first, but now I'm glad! Feels good man.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Why a surgeon and not a general practitioner? I mean, sure, surgeons make more money on average, but a general practitioner can still pull down a 6-figure salary depending on the size of the place they work.
    Surgery is generally seen as easier within the medicine world, and from what I've heard from a few friends in the medical field, they're less liable when something goes wrong.

But I suppose the parents might have just though it sounded good and...it sucks, but hey, if they're paying for it...eh. :/ My mom isn't paying for or really all that interested in what I do, so it's all basically my choice in my case. (Journalism and Photography)

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    Surgery is generally seen as easier within the medicine world, and from what I've heard from a few friends in the medical field, they're less liable when something goes wrong.

But I suppose the parents might have just though it sounded good and...it sucks, but hey, if they're paying for it...eh. :/ My mom isn't paying for or really all that interested in what I do, so it's all basically my choice in my case. (Journalism and Photography)

My mother let me decide on what I wanted to do for a degree, and while she isn't paying for a huge chunk of it, she's still supportive of what I'm studying. I get a government grant of $30,000 a year to study in the US to help my government show "support for international education", and my grant would go up or down if I chose to study something other than computer science and mathematics.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Why a surgeon and not a general practitioner? I mean, sure, surgeons make more money on average, but a general practitioner can still pull down a 6-figure salary depending on the size of the place they work.
    Because a lot of my cousins are and they are making a half million dollars each year by working 20 hours a week :/

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    My mother let me decide on what I wanted to do for a degree, and while she isn't paying for a huge chunk of it, she's still supportive of what I'm studying. I get a government grant of $30,000 a year to study in the US to help my government show "support for international education", and my grant would go up or down if I chose to study something other than computer science and mathematics.
    Oh that sounds pretty neat, makes me wish I could get a grant like that. XD; My grant only tosses $8,000 my way a year, which is good, but it does a lot to keep me from studying at a university right away. My mom is more apathetic than anything else about my studies, and generally broke, so I can't expect much money from her, often it's the other way around.

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years

Oh that sounds pretty neat, makes me wish I could get a grant like that. XD; My grant only tosses $8,000 my way a year, which is good, but it does a lot to keep me from studying at a university right away. My mom is more apathetic than anything else about my studies, and generally broke, so I can't expect much money from her, often it's the other way around.
    Yeah, it is pretty neat. It's mainly due to that because I live on an island, my government has to do something for students wishing to go to university after they're out of high school. There's no university here at all, so the only option available is to head out to mainland England. And because students would have nowhere to stay, apart from on campus or in an apartment, they offer as part of the tuition grant, a living expenses section. How much you get it dependent upon your parents income, but as a single parent my mother only has to makes a tiny contribution.

In order to go the US, I had to prove that my degree would be accepted in the UK as a prerequisite for a postgraduate course, and then I was approved for four years in grants, Luckily I'll be out next fall, after only doing 2 1/2 years. :)

Years
    I have no such grants headed my way because I'm a product of a middle-class family and I never applied for any scholarships. I'm just getting by on student loans that add up to about $2700 a semester. :(

Because a lot of my cousins are and they are making a half million dollars each year by working 20 hours a week :/

What kinda hospitals are they working at to be making half a million a year?! O_O;

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Yeah, it is pretty neat. It's mainly due to that because I live on an island, my government has to do something for students wishing to go to university after they're out of high school. There's no university here at all, so the only option available is to head out to mainland England. And because students would have nowhere to stay, apart from on campus or in an apartment, they offer as part of the tuition grant, a living expenses section. How much you get it dependent upon your parents income, but as a single parent my mother only has to makes a tiny contribution.

In order to go the US, I had to prove that my degree would be accepted in the UK as a prerequisite for a postgraduate course, and then I was approved for four years in grants, Luckily I'll be out next fall, after only doing 2 1/2 years. :)
    Oh that sounds like a rather interesting circumstance you've got there, definitely played it to your benefit. There's really not much like that here for me that I can get, but it's enough to get me by at the school I'm attending, just not enough to help me get into a university.

...though good job on finishing school so fast, guessing you excelled? :O

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years

Oh that sounds like a rather interesting circumstance you've got there, definitely played it to your benefit. There's really not much like that here for me that I can get, but it's enough to get me by at the school I'm attending, just not enough to help me get into a university.

...though good job on finishing school so fast, guessing you excelled? :O

Oh, you're not at a university? If you can still get the same qualification at a college or wherever you are, it probably won't make too much difference in the long run. I'm not at a great university in Connecticut, but a degree with "USA" stamped on my resume will look damn impressive back in the UK.

Not so much I excelled, but in the UK, you basically complete the four years of a US high school in two years, and then you graduate and can get a job with the minimum requirements completed. The final two years (grades 11 & 12) you study 2-4 A-levels, which are the same as AP courses. My university gave me 36 credits for them as I took two years of history, computer science, and art.

So those credits took the place as courses in my major, and an insane portion of the general education section. The max credits you take per semester is 18, so that's two maxed out semesters. XD

I have no such grants headed my way because I'm a product of a middle-class family and I never applied for any scholarships. I'm just getting by on student loans that add up to about $2700 a semester. :(

What kinda hospitals are they working at to be making half a million a year?! O_O;

I have a £1500 loan a year, and I have 12 months of grace after I graduate to start paying it off. They linked the repayments to my bank account so I never have to worry about paying it back myself. It's on a fixed interest for however many months they're making me repay it by. But they gave a interest-free overdraft of £1250 to go along with it, so that's kinda fun. If I only have £1 in the bank, it says I have £1251 to spend! :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023

Oh, you're not at a university? If you can still get the same qualification at a college or wherever you are, it probably won't make too much difference in the long run. I'm not at a great university in Connecticut, but a degree with "USA" stamped on my resume will look damn impressive back in the UK.

Not so much I excelled, but in the UK, you basically complete the four years of a US high school in two years, and then you graduate and can get a job with the minimum requirements completed. The final two years (grades 11 & 12) you study 2-4 A-levels, which are the same as AP courses. My university gave me 36 credits for them as I took two years of history, computer science, and art.

So those credits took the place as courses in my major, and an insane portion of the general education section. The max credits you take per semester is 18, so that's two maxed out semesters. XD
    I just figured it might have been better to go straight for a Bachelor's, but either way we don't really have enough money to afford it, so I guess it is better in the long run. Two years of university is going to be a lot more affordable for me than four. XD; ..ooh that does sound neat, definitely sounds like you got some really nice breaks there.

Ooh that sounds rather neat and sooorta kinda the way my degree is going to work with only needing to do two years of study for a Bachelor's in the long run. Might have to stay at this school a little longer, but...eh, job market kinda blows a lot right now, so it's no biggie. XD;

Drummershuff

Ultimate Blargification
    Years
    I just figured it might have been better to go straight for a Bachelor's, but either way we don't really have enough money to afford it, so I guess it is better in the long run. Two years of university is going to be a lot more affordable for me than four. XD; ..ooh that does sound neat, definitely sounds like you got some really nice breaks there.

Ooh that sounds rather neat and sooorta kinda the way my degree is going to work with only needing to do two years of study for a Bachelor's in the long run. Might have to stay at this school a little longer, but...eh, job market kinda blows a lot right now, so it's no biggie. XD;
    Oh, right. So you're not getting a Bachelor's right now? You can always go back and take the last two years later on, when you have a job and are more settled. A lot of posters around campus say that many jobs are willing to pay for employees to go back to college and finish off degrees. They seem especially keen in funding Master's degrees. So depending on how you get on when you graduate, you may be able to get funded for a Bachelor's.

The job market does suck right now. *~Ashley~* graduated in May and is now trying to find a job but there honestly isn't much out there. I can't get a job other than on campus because I'm not a US citizen, so that kinda blows as jobs on campus fill up with a click of the finger.

Do you have a job? Maybe that'll help you fund while studying? A job would have been great for me next semester as I'm free 5 days a week. XD;

And from what you said, I take it you graduate next spring?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back