• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Dark Knight Rises

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    If there's one thing that has been missing from the Batman movies it is sex. And sex sells. So bring on the "R" rating Nolan. Maybe?

OOOOH, I WISH! I wish they would make it an R rated movie. Sadly, I don't think they'll be willing to do such a thing. This is going to be the last Nolan Batman movie, you'd think with that in mind they'll want to attract all the people they can into seeing it.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    OOOOH, I WISH! I wish they would make it an R rated movie. Sadly, I don't think they'll be willing to do such a thing. This is going to be the last Nolan Batman movie, you'd think with that in mind they'll want to attract all the people they can into seeing it.

Oh yeah! This is going to be PG-13 aaaaaall the way. Warner Brothers aren't going to sacrifice all the little kiddies (and their money, of course) just to put a little bit of hardcore Bat/Cat/Other? action going on. Considering they'll probably want to outdo their gross for The Dark Knight (which is very unlikely, but good on them for trying), WB'll want to have as wide an audience as possible come to see this.

Years
    Oh yeah! This is going to be PG-13 aaaaaall the way. Warner Brothers aren't going to sacrifice all the little kiddies (and their money, of course) just to put a little bit of hardcore Bat/Cat/Other? action going on. Considering they'll probably want to outdo their gross for The Dark Knight (which is very unlikely, but good on them for trying), WB'll want to have as wide an audience as possible come to see this.

Sigh. :/ The Dark Knight was PG-13, but still maintained an somewhat edgy feel (Aaron Eckhart's face, the Joker's antics were pretty intense at times. etc) But R-rated would feel more like Batman, and it would be more in line with the Batman persona.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    I don't think anyone who took their kids to Batman Begins expected TDK to be so adult. It's not a movie you take your kids to on a weekend to see a good movie, not unless the kid is really into Batman, if they were the parent should be very proud of themselves. I'm not sure a lot of parents are going to take their kids to see the TDKR after seeing the adult material in the last one.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    In the UK, The Dark Knight nearly got a '15' certificate instead of a '12', but the BBFC - the British equivalent of the MPAA - said that while it was unusually violent for a '12'-rated film, the fact that it was a superhero doing all of this and not a regular person meant viewers would be able to see the artificiality of it... which feels like spurious reasoning, but there you go.

And now some actual NEWS. ZOMG! TDKR will be shot in Pittsburgh instead of Chicago. Interesting choice, given the architecture of the city and its general decaying nature... the sort of things that allowed films like The Road and Night of the Living Dead to be shot there (and what happy and joyous films they were!) Tax breaks probably had a lot to do with it but... whatever. Them's the nature of the business.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I don't think anyone who took their kids to Batman Begins expected TDK to be so adult. It's not a movie you take your kids to on a weekend to see a good movie, not unless the kid is really into Batman, if they were the parent should be very proud of themselves. I'm not sure a lot of parents are going to take their kids to see the TDKR after seeing the adult material in the last one.
    I think the Scarecrow scenes would have terrified kids in Batman Begins. XD

Also, I wouldn't look too much into the shooting location for any hints of the atmosphere of the film. Batman Begins had a significantly grittier, dirtier look to Gotham that The Dark Knight had. Both were shot in Chicago. Nolan and Wally can work magic when needed lol

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

I think the Scarecrow scenes would have terrified kids in Batman Begins. XD

Also, I wouldn't look too much into the shooting location for any hints of the atmosphere of the film. Batman Begins had a significantly grittier, dirtier look to Gotham that The Dark Knight had. Both were shot in Chicago. Nolan and Wally can work magic when needed lol

Wasn't a majority of Gotham done with CGI in Batman Begins? I remember hearing this. Probably why it had such a gritty and dark atmosphere, which is clearly absent in The Dark Knight. Though... I suppose this has really nothing to do with any of this lol.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Wasn't a majority of Gotham done with CGI in Batman Begins? I remember hearing this. Probably why it had such a gritty and dark atmosphere, which is clearly absent in The Dark Knight. Though... I suppose this has really nothing to do with any of this lol.

Batman Begins: mostly Shepperton Studios in England, with bits of Chicago, England and Iceland (for the Ra's al Ghul stuff)
    The Dark Knight: mostly Chicago, but some studio action as well as Hong Kong

EDIT: Josh Spence (aka the guy who was Armie Hammer's body double in The Social Network) to play a younger version of Ra's al Ghul; more 'sorta' confirmation of Marion Cotillard as Talia al Ghul: https://www.avclub.com/articles/actor-who-was-sort-of-in-the-social-network-cast-a,54341/

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Ah, you beat me. Was about to post the Josh Pence news.

How do you have flashbacks from somebody who died? Maybe, he's the next iteration of Ra's - since he is eternal in the comics

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I guess if Talia is in, they could be flashbacks from when she was a child and around her daddy? Unless any other characters would have been around to see a young Ra's al Ghul? (I'm veeeeery unfamiliar with the Batman comics, so have no idea!)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    The idea of a young Ra's just doesn't seem right, in terms of flashbacks. Because, it's have to be *aaaaaaaagggggeeeeeees* ago. He stops aging after a while and come back to life and so on.

Going by comic book canon.

So, I'm more inclined to think that in Nolan cannon, Ra's may be a persona (kinda why there was that decoy in BB). Who heads up the league at that time. And so we have a new Ra's

Years
    Batman Begins: mostly Shepperton Studios in England, with bits of Chicago, England and Iceland (for the Ra's al Ghul stuff)
    The Dark Knight: mostly Chicago, but some studio action as well as Hong Kong

EDIT: Josh Spence (aka the guy who was Armie Hammer's body double in The Social Network) to play a younger version of Ra's al Ghul; more 'sorta' confirmation of Marion Cotillard as Talia al Ghul: https://www.avclub.com/articles/actor-who-was-sort-of-in-the-social-network-cast-a,54341/

Ohhh my gossssh.

That's interesting. I wonder how he'll (Nolan) tie all these villains together without making things seem like Spiderman III. :/

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Nooooo, I really wanted to see Cotillard as Talia Al Ghul. :(

Years
    I would have liked Cotillard as Talia. She's gorgeous, but I always imagined Talai a bit younger of a character, like mid/late 20's.

But I'm quite happy with the roles they received. This is shaping up to be one hell of a movie.

Back