• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"The first generation was much cooler than the new ones!"

What was the coolest generation?(Multiple Choice)

• Generation I

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Generation II

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Generation III

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Generation IV

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
Years
  • It really just depends when you started liking pokemon at and what generation it was in. It can also be related to people liking the regions of the previous generation better than the current one.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Okay, let me break this down:

The reason a majority of gamers say Gens 1 and 2 are better than 3 and 4 is because the 1 & 2 were the most well-made and had a better group of new Pokemon. Yes, Gen 2 was too easy, but those who played it will agree that it is possibly the most unforgetable generation because of the Pokemon, region, and storyline. Also, no one can say Gen 1 is bad because it was the original for the GameBoy.

Gens 3 and 4 tried too hard to be memorized as anything but failures (imo). Gen 3 had a bland and distastefully made region. The only areas in Hoenn I thought were decent were Mt. Chimney, Sootopolis, Sky Pillar, Fortree, and Pacificlog. Other than that, I hated the regions design. Also, the graphics were terrible compaerd to FR/LG. The Pokemon were mediocre at best. Most had poor design and were otherwise pointless in creation (Nosepass, wtf?!). And, none of them had anythign particular that stood out, almost all of them looked like their colors came from a box of extra dull Crayons. Now, the storyline wasn't terrible, it actually was pretty good, but that's about all Gen 3 had going for it.
    (Please note, I do not include FR/LG in Gen 3 because they were remakes of Gen 1)

Gen 4 had by far the worst amount of legendaries and evolutions of previous generation Pokemon which I think turned a lot of gamers off. By now, legendaries had become so common that it didn't matter if you'd caught any of them cuz your friends would be like, "So? I caught Shaymin and Darkrai and Arceus, LMAO!". I remember when my cousin caught Suicune and Ho-Oh in his Gold and I was totally jealous and willing to trade anything for them (When I was 8). Now I don't even feel joy in knowing I caught Arceus or Shaymin. The storyline sucked. Team Galactic was the most retarded team ever and their designs are worse then my little sisters drawings (She's 7). Arceus's creation was an EPIC FAIL !!!

Well, that's all I have to say.

Years
  • The first gen feature I like and miss most is the type advantages.

Like Leech Life.
    Remember when that was a good move?

Let's just blame it all on Missingno and Yellow Version...

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2012
    1st. Gen 3. (All you haters: Solrock, Lunatone, Castform, and Shedinja. You auto lose.)
    2nd. Gen 2. (Great story, but lacking on the epicness Gen 3 had.)
    3rd. Gen 1. (Started it all, but didn't really have a good selection of pokes.)
    Last. Gen 4. (All you lovers: Heatran, Lickilicky, Magnezone, Duscenoir, Magrmortar, Electivire, Togekiss, Heatran lol, Infirnape, Luxio, Leafeon, Empoleon...Anything I missed?). And no, Probobass is amazing haha.

Years
  • I started playing Pokemon when I first got either Ruby/Emerald/FireRed. (damn can't remember lol) I thought Gen III was amazing.
    No offense, but I just don't think you can really come to appreciate the 1st gen if you came during gens 3 or 4. Gen 3 had updated graphics, a better battle system, etc. You didn't really have a reason to go back. You really had to be playing during the GB era.

I have done so much Gen 1 bashing due to so many people on another forum claiming the newer generations to be "crap games". It's actually been a while since I complimented it. >.> Honestly, I never really got into these games too much. One big factor was probably that I couldn't read, didn't understand how to leave the house, and that I got frustrated when Brock wouldn't join me after I beat him (On my 20th time btw). I really felt like I got with the games in Gen 2. They were overall I much more enjoyable experience. GSC feels to me what RBGY should have been. But RBGY were rushed, and they just needed to get a game out. Another thing that ruins my views of the first gen is the constant Kanto rehash. FUN FACT: Kanto has been playable in every single generation. >.>

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
    Years
  • 1st. Gen 3. (All you haters: Solrock, Lunatone, Castform, and Shedinja. You auto lose.)
    2nd. Gen 2. (Great story, but lacking on the epicness Gen 3 had.)
    3rd. Gen 1. (Started it all, but didn't really have a good selection of pokes.)
    Last. Gen 4. (All you lovers: Heatran, Lickilicky, Magnezone, Duscenoir, Magrmortar, Electivire, Togekiss, Heatran lol, Infirnape, Luxio, Leafeon, Empoleon...Anything I missed?). And no, Probobass is amazing haha.

So heatran is less important then...

Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Ho-oh, Lugia, or Celebi?

Heatran was a throwback legendary: He's freaking awesome.

And don't get me started on the rest of your choices. You think Infernape is stupid? How about a ball of gas named "Gastly"?

Years
  • When you are young, things tend to imprint more. As you grow older, things stick less and less.

Folks, here's a prime example of nostalgic feelings. Give him a round of applause!

Yes. Because no one could ever disagree with you and still be thinking objectively.

And yes, Heatran and Infernape are stupid. ;)

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2010
    Storyline? None of the games every really had a story (although it isn't the extent of Mario games yet), and most of the GSC events were there to patch up the fact that Johto was horridly designed.
    I didn't say it had a great storyline, just better than the rest In my opinion. You're entitled to your own opinion of course, but I just think that Gen III/IV were huge letdowns. To be honest I thought DPP downright sucked.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2010
    Edit: Whoops.

For all the hate that Gen III gets, I started up a playthrough of Sapphire after letting my cart sit for a good year. I quickly started thinking to myself, 'dang, this is a freaking good game!"

GSC has lost some magic after I realized how truly boring Kanto is, as well as how low-leveled everything is.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    I like all of the generations but I'd rate them something like
    2, 4, 1, 3. I noticed someone commenting on the gen 1 glitches but to be honest I loved playing around with the gen 1 glitches. I prefer the Kanto and Johto starters tbh.

Years
  • I am undeniably an old school Pokemon player I prefer gen 2 mainly because I feel it had the perfect balance between innovation/improvement without overloading the game with useless things/Pokemon. That being said Gen 3 wasn't bad just a little dissappointing with its removal of some features. Without wanting to sound elitist beccause I'm not I agree with the earlier post saying that you needed to play them in the era they were released otherwise you don't realise how revolutionary each one was

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • I honestly can't make up my mind about which generation is cooler. I mean, yea, Gen I had its flaws, definitely, like the Psychic type being way too über, but still, it was that generation that got me into Pokémon in the first place, and most of my favourite Pokémon (Rhydon, Nidoking, Mewtwo...) are from Gen I. Gen II is badass. I do hate the fact that none of the starters get a secondary type, (What can I say? I love dual-types..) but there are still some cool Pokémon. Furthermore, Gen II added the Dark and Steel type, which makes it an infinitely badass generation. Gen III was pretty epic, too, imo. A lot of people says it fails major, but I say different. I love the starters, I love the storyline in Emerald and the Battle Frontier. The graphics got waaaaay better with Gen III, and a lot of really, really cool Pokémon were introduced. Gen IV... Dude. Some crazy typings were introduced, and the storyline got even more intense. Possibly a bit far-out, yea, but why does that have to be a bad thing? What's wrong with thinking big? A Pokémon that created the universe? Sure, why not? It's pretty psychedelic, but why complain so much about it? I loved the 4th gen, and I think every generation is really badass in one way or another.

Pekin's out.

radioactiveman

Up And Atom!
    Years
  • Gen 1 is the best and will always be the best. If it wasn't for it, there wouldn't be gen 2,3,4. Sorry mattman324 but you were too young to experince pokemon in its hey day. Back in 1999 I was 9 years old and Pokemon was a world phenomenon, there was nothing like it. I used to carry my game boy with yellow version, and my folder with all my Pokemon cards everywhere with me and it was normal. Nowadays you would look weird. Gen 1 at the time was something nobody had ever seen or experienced before. Its easy to look back and say "wow those games have bad graphics and have a lot of mistakes", but at the time those were the best hand held games out there. Gen 2 expanded and made things better. It introduced even more cooler memorable Pokemon. The GS games were the first to have a time system, something that no other game had at the time.

Gen 3 took a huge step back. They removed the time system in RS games. The region in RS was probably the most forgettable region in all the gens. They made some really dumb useless Pokemon. They anime sucked. It was a reason why a lot of people started loosing interest in Pokemon. Gen 4 was a little better but still made to many dumb Pokemon and to many legendaries.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Gen 1 is the best and will always be the best. If it wasn't for it, there wouldn't be gen 2,3,4. Sorry mattman324 but you were too young to experince pokemon in its hey day. Back in 1999 I was 9 years old and Pokemon was a world phenomenon, there was nothing like it. I used to carry my game boy with yellow version, and my folder with all my Pokemon cards everywhere with me and it was normal. Nowadays you would look weird. Gen 1 at the time was something nobody had ever seen or experienced before. Its easy to look back and say "wow those games have bad graphics and have a lot of mistakes", but at the time those were the best hand held games out there. Gen 2 expanded and made things better. It introduced even more cooler memorable Pokemon. The GS games were the first to have a time system, something that no other game had at the time.

Gen 3 took a huge step back. They removed the time system in RS games. The region in RS was probably the most forgettable region in all the gens. They made some really dumb useless Pokemon. They anime sucked. It was a reason why a lot of people started loosing interest in Pokemon. Gen 4 was a little better but still made to many dumb Pokemon and to many legendaries.

did you just call someone too young to experience pokemon -.-" ITS MADE FOR LITTLE KIDS!!!!! (Im not afraid to admit it...) I was about 7 when i played pokemon yellow (my first ever game) and i loved it! But to be honest...the graphixs were horrible... think how much more of a phenomenon pokemon would be back then if they released diamond and pearl instead XD GAME ON THE CENTURY!!!! i think people just like gen 1 because it was the first gen... nostalgia... people need to get up outta that rock they have been living under playing pokemon red and wake up and smell the fresh air...

Also...
    THEY DID NOT REMOVE THE TIME SYSTEM IN RUBY AND SAPPHIRE!!!!!!!!!! Goto gamestation and go buy a gameboy advance for £5.00 and play ruby version.... -.-"
    They removed the time system in firered and leafgreen though.. so why dont you hate on those games then XD... (No you people wouldnt because you love kanto...) Also... i kinda liked ruby and sapphire... they are my favourite pokemon games... (i dont care what you people think :\) another thing... johto is realy the most forgetable region in my opinion (well excusing hg/ss) :\

sorry if it seems im having ago at you im realy having ago at all those people still living under a rock...:\

I think the reason you people hate gen 3 and 4 is well because... your growing up and growing out of pokemon (you people will always remember red and blue... and dont wanna make space for gen 3 and 4...) I recommend going to therapists...
    im gonna say this again...

ALL NOSTALGIC JUNK NEEDS ITS OWN THREAD!!!!

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • FUN FACT: Kanto has been playable in every single generation. >.>

That's pretty sad. I'm getting sicker and sicker of Kanto..

-Also, i'm trying to play some Crystal on the VBA, but I can't. It hurts my eyes -_- yeah, sure, I grew up with RSEFRLG which had good graphics, but still.. aaaaaaaaaa. Painful.

I can't wait to play SS though, since it actually has something that qualifies as "acceptable graphics". It also has some of my favorite legends.. (Lugia, Celebi, Suicune, Raikou) and my two least favorite legends. (Entei, Ho-Oh)

Do not try to tell me that "everything about Gen 2 rocks" because i've heard it a billion times and i'm getting sick of it. Live with this fact - Everything in Gen 2 isn't perfect. Everything in Gen 1 is not perfect either. The same applies to Gen 3 and 4.

Pokemon games are not perfect.
    Live with it.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    as NINTENDO have produced pokemon games

i have realized there trying to use every animal in existence ...
    Bidoof=beaver pidgey=bird squirtle=turtle dragonite=dragon

if you look u can see the animals they represent

but yh the frist were cool

dunno y i just write that but i sounds correct to sumth9ing XD

Awec

Maniacal Egotist ~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2023
    I recently restarted the Gen 1 and 2 games and actually, after a play-through, I must admit that Gen 2 was rather poor.
    Generation 1 flowed well, had great Pokemon and great music. The entire region was well-made and for the first time out of all the times I've played Pokemon, I was suddenly struck by just how goddamn useful the Bug type was.
    Using almost purely my Parasect which knew Leech Life (and was several levels behind the trainers and especially the gym leader) I steamrollered the Saffron city gym. Only a short while earlier with my Fearow I had similar beaten the fighting type gym.
    It really stood out when I played Platinum later how I had to train for ages so that I could be sure I would be able to beat the gym.
    Very few Pokemon were bad in Gen 1, with Lickitung being the only one that springs to mind. Admittedly, the ghost type was a supreme novelty, being so limited and useless against the only Pokemon they were meant to be good against.

Generation 2 was less enjoyable.
    While the addition of the Steel and Dark types - along with the switching of various moves and the Magnemite family's types - were welcome, some of the new 'Mon weren't. Gen 2 was fun, don't get me wrong, what with the Time system, berries, Aprikorns, Bug contest and so many other things - not to mention the music - but... playing the game, no matter how enjoyable with the brilliant music it had, was horrible just by thinking about the awful, so-called 'baby' Pokemon.
    Most of said 'mon were useless; Togepi's best move was Metronome, and Pichu was just a waste of time. It didn't help that they had to evolve through 'Happiness' which meant you had to waste money on improving an invisible and almost pointless stat until you were confident enough that the next time you wasted time and Exp levelling the damn thing it evolved into something marginally less useless. Hell, after in Gen 1 when my Magikarp won the battle against my rival, I can safely say that baby Pokemon are the most useless things introduced.
    The region also, while well placed in general, was badly made. I almost avoid the 2nd town (which the name of has evaded me; presumably because the town was pointless and essentially only good for the Centre and the Town Card, which weren't really needed anyway...) simply because the 'sea' area looks as though the sharp edges of the 'beach' would do more damage than above mentioned baby 'mon. It was horrendous.
    There were even more awful 'mon as well, not to mention more novelty ones. Stantler, Girafarig, Murkrow and Misdreavus all sounded cool but ended up being ignored because they were awful. Others, such as Dunsparce, Yanma and Ledyba (no one even mention Shuckle *shudder*) are sheer abominations.
    But the music was good.

Gen 3 was the best, because not only did the remakes bring back all the good old feelings in better graphics and redux the music (although Bug still remained useless), it also brought it some really worthwhile Pokemon (Poochyena; Pure Dark Type, Sableye; No weaknesses!, Shedinja; supreme novelty, MUDKIPS; need I say more?) , not to mention a meaningful storyline for once.
    The music was good again too, since the creators had more lenience due to the GBA's increased capabilities, though it was quite lacking sometimes as only some of the areas retained the hummable and catchy tunes which were what I loved most about Gen 2.
    The chief fault in my opinion with Gen 3 was that they introduced too many legendaries. As per tradition they introduced a new group of 3 (Regirock, Regice, Registeel), a new Mew-like 'mon (Jirachi) and even a new Mewtwo-like 'mon (Deoxys). They then introduced a further 5 (Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Latios and Latias) which, while the first 2 influenced the plot to a large extent, and Rayquaza rounded them out, the last 2 felt like throwaways, as though Nintendo just wanted to get as many Pokemon as they could and decided to make them into what wasn't even a semi-plot.

The worst generation is easily Gen 4 though, because let's face it: the Pokemon were awful. The vast majority of the legendaries looked dorky (obviously not Dialga or Palkia though, they were awesome) and before the Gen 1 haters 'compare', when compared the the first generation of legendaries or indeed any other set, they look even worse because those generations proved that Nintendo could make decent Pokemon but just hadn't bothered this time. The region is forgettable, the music mediocre. The first time I played it (on a rom of Diamond), I got lost halfway to the second gym and somehow ended up at the Pokemon contest hall upon which I attempted to understand the new contest mechanics, failed and deleted the game. Even on a second play-though (although obviously, after the 2nd gym everything was new to me) with Platinum, I found I had to frequently check my town map to make sure I was going towards where I wanted to go and hadn't somehow skipped another gym. I won't even mention the awful Pokemon (although that utmost evil, Shellos just makes me feel sick; anyone who says it's cute is screwed up), but I will at least note one good and misunderstood point of Gen 4; Bidoof. Everyone seems to hate it and yet (although this may be influenced by Pokemon Mystery Dungeon) I just find it awesome, but sadly not it's evolution.
    The underground was fun too, but lost it's point since somehow without ever using it or mistreating my DS I've managed to epically break my Wi-Fi; it only works when my DS is pointed at my computer's internet cables (when the DS is right next to it, I might add.)
    I was happy at first when I heard about the Gen 2 remakes; the expanded game compared to others made it worthwhile and the DS's graphics would put an end to the above mentioned block-beaches.
    Most of all, I was expecting the music to be remade fantastically. It wasn't ~ Enough said.

Wow... I went on for a long while hee hee.

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    ??????
    WOW
    THATS LONG!

took me a while to read

and ur so write

Status