• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Food Thread

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Yeah, I asked one of the vendors for a "pancake" and they gave me a dirty look and said: "you mean a crepe?" It was very awkward :L
    That's because they're different things. It'd be like if you mixed up scrambled eggs and an omelette.

A crêpe is delicate and paper-thin (or less), usually with some kind of filling (the crêpe is either rolled up, or folded upon itself). A pancake is thicker and more like a cake (hence the name) in texture. The proper batter recopies between the two are also different.

Side note: Buckwheat crêpes rule! With a fried egg and some ham inside, awe-some :D

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years

That's because they're different things. It'd be like if you mixed up scrambled eggs and an omelette.

A crêpe is delicate and paper-thin (or less), usually with some kind of filling (the crêpe is either rolled up, or folded upon itself). A pancake is thicker and more like a cake (hence the name) in texture. The proper batter recopies between the two are also different.

Side note: Buckwheat crêpes rule! With a fried egg and some ham inside, awe-some :D

Yeah well I know that now but I didn't know that aged 13 or so :P

Last edited:

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I've tasted one before, and it was really delicious! Was actually embarrassing because it was my first time tasting one and I asked them what's it called. ^^;;

SquirtleGirl

Years
    I've tasted one before, and it was really delicious! Was actually embarrassing because it was my first time tasting one and I asked them what's it called. ^^;;

Oh yay, now I don't feel so dumb now ^^;; At least you were sensible enough to ask! :embarrass

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    You must be completely obsessed with Nutella! :o

My favorite filing/sandwich spread is peanut butter it tastes really good with bread! :D

NOT OBSESSED. IN LOVE WITH NUTELLA! I COULD BE THE INHERITOR OF THE NUTELL COMPANY!

and why are you talking about crepes? The topic is nutella!

I have never tasted crepes before. LOL.

NUTELLA FOREVER!

SquirtleGirl

Years
    NOT OBSESSED. IN LOVE WITH NUTELLA! I COULD BE THE INHERITOR OF THE NUTELL COMPANY!

and why are you talking about crepes? The topic is nutella!

I have never tasted crepes before. LOL.

NUTELLA FOREVER!

I was talking about nutella on crepes.... which is YUMMY! o:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years

The definition of a pancake differs dramatically upon where you are in the world. In the UK and Ireland (apart from in Scotland), a pancake is very similar to a crêpe in terms of texture and ingredients. Obviously, in North America, a pancake is much thicker. Looking at Wikipedia, it seems like a pancake can be pretty much any size or shape depending on where you are in the world. It's really interesting, actually! :D

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    The definition of a pancake differs dramatically upon where you are in the world. In the UK and Ireland (apart from in Scotland), a pancake is very similar to a crêpe in terms of texture and ingredients. Obviously, in North America, a pancake is much thicker. Looking at Wikipedia, it seems like a pancake can be pretty much any size or shape depending on where you are in the world. It's really interesting, actually! :D
    Really? Interesting. I thought the pancake was a UK creation. You have paper-thin ones but call them pancakes?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Apart from in Scotland, yeah. I'd never call a pancake a crêpe unless I was in France or something. I've had American-style pancakes on numerous occasions (never in the US, though), and I've always had to refer to them as American pancakes.

Years
    I didn't know there was such confusion on the pancake/crêpe divide.

To me a crêpe is something like this:

The Food Thread

While a pancake is something like this:

The Food Thread

Very different in my mind.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
    For me, a crepe is a bit thinner than a pancake. And American-style pancakes are thicker than both. But then, I call American pancakes Scotch pancakes. Unless they're something different all together.

Whatever the style, I like them with chocolate sauce or jam on. Nom. And they can be good with ice cream too.

SquirtleGirl

Years

You took the words right out of my mouth, there. :) That's why I thought they were Pancakes, because that's how we make them here [thin, rather than thick.]

In Scotland they make them thick but the term I think is "drop scone" and for some reason, thick pancakes are called this in Ireland, too.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Recently I had...

a very thin crust pizza with grilled chicken, grilled eggplant, sundried tomatoes, goat cheese, and pesto sauce

Jolteon*

Super Boss Trainer
    Years
    Should be studying...found this thread :). I LOVE FOOD :D :D :D my favorite thing to do is eat, and my favorite restaurant is this local vietnamese place...my second favorite is chipotle. Always order the steak and chicken (double not half and half) with mild medium salsa and everything else...except the baked pork beans :(

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Spoiler:

SNAKEMEAT I want to eat this so bad it's snakemeat and it looks delicious and it's super healthy. I should just skin one my own.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    My diet has been terrible lately. McDonald's breakfast food every morning, then whatever my mom cooks at night, which is usually just something cheap and fast she has in the house. Sooo bad.

Years
    McDonald's for breakfast? D:
    How can you do this? I feel sick having it in the evening, never mind first thing in the morning. Bleg.

My eating is doing very well. I am eating nice and healthy. I have been cooking random stuff each night really. Last night, I cook a nice cod with potatos, brockerly, green beans, carrots and a fish sauce. OM NOM!​

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    My mom works there, but she does it overnight so she can only bring me breakfast food. So my normal breakfast now is 2 hash browns and 2 bacon egg and cheese sandwiches on biscuits. It's hard for me to understand people with sensitive stomachs tbh cause there's so few things I don't like and time of day means nothing to me in what I want to eat XD Once my boyfriend told me he didn't want to eat a sweet thing because it was too early in the morning. I was like "what...?"

Years
    Haha, I think it is sometimes to do with how someone has been brought up.

Personally, I just don't like the McD's breakfast at all. It just tastes like rubber. However, this is the UK one and not yours, so could be better.​

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    McDonald's for breakfast? D:
    How can you do this? I feel sick having it in the evening, never mind first thing in the morning. Bleg.​
    I don't mind McDonald's for burgers and fries. I don't make a habit of it (there is better stuff out there, particularly on the fries), but it tastes fine.

Their breakfast on the other hand tastes like cardboard XD I tried it once because I had a coupon and I am never doing that again.

Back