• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Giant Gap Between Levels?

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
  • I've been playing through Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen again (yes, both versions) and have noticed that the level gap from the Viridian City Gym Leader to the Elite 4 is huge. I have a habit of overleveling my Pokemon for each game. All of my Pokemon (see below) were at level 55 when I beat the Saffron Gym. All of a sudden, all my Pokemon are at level 59, and I'm underleveled! It is indeed very frustrating. I can't figure out how I managed to beat the league first time on Pokemon Yellow without using any healing items. Especially since you can't rematch trainers on it.

Anyone else find this?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • In Emerald, all the wild Pokemon are horrendously underlevel compared to mine. It makes training take a while. Incidentally, in GSC, the wild Pokemon are extremely underleveled. There's always some kind of level problem in the games, but for the FRLG one, rebattled a buttload of trainers and uber trained in Victory Road. They don't call it the Pokemon League for nothing.

Years
  • Yeah, I found all the Gym leaders easy, but when I got to the elite 4, I had to train a ton, And try over and over again. But I guess that's how it's supposed to be: hard to do.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Lvl 59 is really high for me, when I get up to Fushcia City, my starter is lvl 48 and my others are in their 30s, then I'm up to the Elite 4 with a lvl 53 Starter and early 40s for my other pokemon and I only have 1 HM slave

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • In Emerald, all the wild Pokemon are horrendously underlevel compared to mine. It makes training take a while. Incidentally, in GSC, the wild Pokemon are extremely underleveled. There's always some kind of level problem in the games, but for the FRLG one, rebattled a buttload of trainers and uber trained in Victory Road. They don't call it the Pokemon League for nothing.

Yeah, I kindof noticed that in emerald. Lets see, Steven has top Level 60, which is the strongest Pokemon, besides Rayquaza, because he's a legendary. Cynthia has a Level 66 Garchomp, a 6 level gap...

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
  • I've never had the level problem, my guys are usually the same level as the first E4's Pokemon and I do fine.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    Like stated above, it's so you'll play the game longer. They had to have something for you to do while waiting for D/P lol.

Years
  • I refuse to go in to the league without 60s across the board so the E4 and Champion are no problem and Ice beam does miracles against G-Chomp.

Pokehead

Pokedex 50% complete. 246 left
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing when I originally reached the R/B/Y E4. Thankfully though, way back then, I had 3 super-leveled pokemon (because I didn't know where to get HM 05 Flash, so it took me HOURS to get through rock tunnel, so my Ivysaur and Clefairy went from their 20s, I believe, to their mid 50s, so yeah, the gyms where a breeze for me. Then I trained a Lapras. You figure out the rest :P

Theonewhoisodd

Master Eevee Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2012
    I never really noticed this usually I have some legendaries and my starter is near level seventy or eighty but your right their is a huge gap.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2009
    Leafgreen was too easy. Colosseums just hard because...
    !WARNING!
    !SPOILER AHEAD!
    highlight the white text.

All of the Shadow Pokemon can use moves which your Shadows can't, and towards the end of the game, it takes into consideration the decision you make, i.e. you have a Fighting Pokemon out against Gardevoir so you switch out to Umbreon and the Gardevoir uses Thunderbolt. Bloody annoying in my opinion.

Divine~Deoxys

When i played LeafGreen, i thought, "wow!!bluddy strong!!", but now i know how to play through them easier (overlevelling, etc.), i think lg/fr are better than the others in that you don't feel like all the fuss after you beat the champ is for nothing, as it was actually a challenge to win.

Back