• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

just a guy
    Years

This one is really nice. I like the whole color phase used and the text shows out really well. The only thing I seem to be iffy about is the hand. The light covers it over too much to an extent in which it looks a bit fuzzy and deformed to the rest of him. Nonethless though, very well done.

Haruhi Suzumiya, how could I not like this one? Lighting and effects were done nicely to this tag. I like the paper background and the quality of the image overall. Although, the square shot of Haruhi's face on the back doesn't catch my attention much and could do without in my opinion.

For some reason the quality of this one doesn't seem to be as good a the first two. It is nice, I like the text use of coloring and lightning, but it isn't to my liking much. Though I can say it is nice because not all can work with real life renders too good as they can with anime or gaming renders.

.raiden, my comments to your three tags are in bold and found within the quote under each one. I've got to say your work has greatly improved since The Thunderous.

As for myself, this is a larger tag I worked on just yesterday night. I'm not sure who the two characters are xD, but I tried something differently from what I normally do. So please feel free to criticize your heart out.

Ezzo!

conejo.
    Years
    Very nice colors in my opinion.
    The whole tag tho imo needs better blending of the render, and the circle vector brushes on the left ruin it. The text also doesn't fit very well with the tag and the backdrops(?) on the characters seem odd. You got the flow done pretty well tho imo, the vector brushes behind the renders helped.

--------------------------------------------------------

^Rav and Harry told me to expand on this style, but I don't wanna rip Moose. ;;

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Very nice colors in my opinion.
    The whole tag tho imo needs better blending of the render, and the circle vector brushes on the left ruin it. The text also doesn't fit very well with the tag and the backdrops(?) on the characters seem odd. You got the flow done pretty well tho imo, the vector brushes behind the renders helped.

--------------------------------------------------------

^Rav and Harry told me to expand on this style, but I don't wanna rip Moose. ;;

Okay.
    It looks very well done, but I'm not sure I like how the font pops out more than the render does. As for the banner itself, it's really worked out. Perhaps there could have been more effects to it though. Overall, you've done well but there's just a tad more room for improvement [just my 2 cents].

As for my banners here, they're the same but the second one was actually a hue mistake in which I actually liked. I was trying to add a different effect and little did I know I accidently hued it.

1st:

2nd [Hue Mistake one]

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
    I'll rate the second one. The effects seem solid, and everything looks good except for your text. I really dislike outer-glow effect on text, and it seems to be covered by the sword and fire just a bit too much. Otherwise It's good.

Rate these please. =P

Last edited:
    Years
    I'll rate the second one. The effects seem solid, and everything looks good except for your text. I really dislike outer-glow effect on text, and it seems to be covered by the sword and fire just a bit too much. Otherwise It's good.

Rate these please. =P

I think you're overusing effects a bit, and I don't like the text very much in the second one. I like the flow of the second one as well.

I'd like you to pick anything you want from here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=195202

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    I'd like you to pick anything you want from here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=195202

I picked only 1 cause Im a lazy graphics rater
    Anyways I actualy really like the colors on this one but... the render is somewhat difficult to see some would call this too plain but some things look better plain :l
    Love the colors btw you might have wanted to give the render a sharper look or something for it to stand out. Anyways its good but it's difficult to see the render.
    7.9/10

Rate plz
    kthnxbye

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Mmmmmmmmmm.... :I

Not sure about those splatters....
    Nor the color of the background........
    Or the solid drop shadow....

First of all, I feel like there's this really weird mix of like, LJ-style background texture and weird blurry renders which is a no go IMO.
    Second, your focal feels too dark for the rest of the colors you utilized.
    Third, the splatters are on this funky overlay/color-burn-type setting and it's not adding much of anything but clutter.
    The pentooling is a yes, and I like that.
    But it just feels strangely flat and.... and it just doesn't appeal to me. D:

Not my kinda tag, sorry. :/

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    @the bitter end. : A little small for my tastes, but that really isn't much of an issue with it. The render's face seems overly bright to me, almost ghostly pale, which doesn't really seem right. Maybe just burn it a touch to see what it looks like? The text is decent enough, it doesn't kill the tag like most does (Especially mine xD). There's decent depth, and the little pen tooling looks nice. Overall, nicely done.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meh, first attempt at GFX in awhile. Looking at Dukey's gallery made me want to try again. Rate the failure plox xD

EDIT: Updated version

Last edited:

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years

Meh, first attempt at GFX in awhile. Looking at Dukey's gallery made me want to try again. Rate the failure plox xD

I'm flattered XD
    And this isn't as bad as you seem to think, I would like to see the Saturation upped a tad, +10ish, I dunno just guessing, also maybe adding a curves layer and making it a bit darker by doing so.

Y'know what someone rate this for me XD

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Jake first of all not a failure at all!
    Second, the colour version is a tonne better than the black and white, so I will be rating the colour one for now.
    To start, I wanna say the colours are really nice and soft and all help each other nicely. There are two things that I wanna criticise but the rest is all good, especially the use of negative space on the left and the juxtaposition to the full but not messy right.
    Depth is pretty good although I reckon you could have sharpened up the render a bit more to make it pop. I like the little bits over the top of the render but you could've done a bit more on the right, but looks cool as it is.
    The things that aren't too good are the lack of a clear flow. You have the flow going in two directions which isn't always bad, but yours kinda contrast to each other and don't work together. The right side is a little messy and brings the left down.
    Lastly, the little white soft brushes for lighting don't work too well. The work the best in colour with a good layer setting like lighten or something...

Ok Dukey beat me with his mini rate so now I gotta rate his too. XP
    BEAUTIFUL tag Dukey. Possibly your best.
    The first thing that seems wrong to me is that sort of lack of real depth, not graphic depth. The red clouds just sorta stop there, don't fade out and the background isn't blurred enough for me. Also those little sparks to the right are a bit sharp for my liking. I reckon you could sharpen up the render a smidgen.
    Otherwise, incredible colours, great use of effects and wonderful compo.

Now you get rate mine someone. I want constructive criticism peoples. I'd prefer you to tell me everything you hate about it and why as opposed to what you like. So bare that in mind.

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    @Dukey: I'd say so =P

@moments. : God, that period at your name kills all attempts at proper grammar xD. But anyways, if there is one thing I hate, it's that solid reddish bar on the left side. I'm not totally sure why, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I never liked using the bar to fill up the negative space much, and I'd actually just like to see a version without it. The splattery-smudgey effect is quite nice actually, and coloring is quite good as well. The little messiness here and there (Just on the face of your stock, imparticulary) maybe could be cleaned up a tad, but honestly it isn't that big of a deal to me.

EDIT: And thanks for that rate moments.. (Dammit, that stupid double period strikes again!) Originally the little wireframe I had (Which is almost impossible to see now with the pen tooling) was in total flow with the rest of teh tag, but I think the clipping mask I used was what really ended up killing the flow on the right. I might just take it out and post up a new version of it.

Yeah, let's have another turn ^_^

Last edited:

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    I've rated Jake's so I'll do moments' now.
    Like the tage though, as Jake said that red bar looks kinda wack, it just doesn't fit in with that kind of tag at all. Removing the whole red bar, and cropping the image so it ends where the red bar starts and maybe losing 20 pixels from the bottom?

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    I couldn't crop it 20 px from the bottom, it looked ew, so I took off 10px.
    As for the side, I think I did a little less than the width of the red bar, but anyways, better?

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
    @moments. - That, sir. Is awesome. I love the colors, but what Ilove the move about it is the depth. Good job, sir. ;D

Rate this horror, please:

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    @Chibi Robo - It would look a lot better without the white dup on his right. Everything looks so fluid then "clunk." that thing drops in. Other than that the tag is pretty boring, it could use more depth and that clone stamp you have right below the gun is quite distracting with that black/red. Maybe using colors for the clone stamp that wasn't black. Did I mention depth is gogo?

@the bitter end. - The first tag's stock blends way too much with the background. it took me like 10 years to figure out what it was. The text isn't doing anything for the tag either plus the stock is really over sharpened. The transition from black to grey in the background is throwing me off, it'd probably look better if it was all black although ultimately I would scrap this one.

The second one is eh. The stock is really iffy looking. It's washed out and way to sharp. The whole tag is pretty sharp. It's pretty flat on the whole, trying blurring some of the stuff on the edges and some in the background to create a sense of depth. Not really feeling the LOLBOKEHBLOB right in the middle of the tag and the text isn't doing anything either.

@Jake♫ - More contrasted version is ftw. Not fond of the two light sources you're trying to *subtly* create. It'd be nice if you blurred some of the stuff in the background to get more depth since it's kind of flat right now. The pink blob on the stock is distracting my eye a bit since it's on a dark piece of clothing. If you were going to keep it in color, gogo saturation +10-30, but if you're going to use it in black and white up that contrast, baby. Also, there's one light blob that's cut off on the middle-left side.

@Dukey - You know my thoughts on this tag. ._.

@moments. - I want to like it but I don't. The colors are pretty monochrome and you blurred the outside splatter so much my eye is actually drawn there. There's not any depth because there isn't anything there aside from what's in the foreground. I liked it better with the red/pink bar.

now my turn.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    Color Me Evil

I don't know who that is, but probably someone a lot of you do. Nice use of lighting on him and the render is good. The extra added bits jazz it up a lot but don't take away from the original image at all. I'd say a 90/100 because maybe it could do with some text saying who it is?

I don't know if I'm supposed to post this here but anyway:

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    Why does everyone that's a newb to graphics thinks that everything needs text? _^_
    A newb to graphics? I'm not, at least to pixel art, which I'm great at. I just think it needs something else since it has a lot of wasted space.
    Anyway, I don't need that other one rated anymore, so:

It was made on paint btw, and if you don't like the moon, I'm removing it anyway.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back