• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight Wolf

The Alpha Female
    Years
    @Sweet Speed: Very nice in my opnion, but I'm more of a beginner in Graphic Arts. ^-^ Though it took me a couple of seconds to read the text. It seems to blend with everything too well. It threw on some fire camoflauge. O_O

As said I am a beginner, but I watched a lot of YouTube Tutorials and explore GIMP a lot (yes, I use GIMP).

Meh, I had to personally cut the Mightyena out of a white background with the free-select tool so that's why it's kinda... well, meh. :P

Kayouri

Banned
    Years
    @Twilight Wolf: The border isn't really a nice touch. It's too messy. I recommend using one render. It lacks all of the basic stuff like depth, lighting and flow. I suggest you read CME's tutorial on that and the text is blending in a little too much. Sorry, not to be rude or anything.

Rate please.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Kayouri:
    I will rate the first one because I believe it is the better one you posted.
    The use of C4D's as a background and effects is great in this tag. Matches the flow of the render and looks great. The lighting is also placed in a great spot.
    The downfalls in the tag are the depth or lack thereof and the text. The C4D's in the background would look good if blurred a bit so the tag gets some much needed depth.
    The text idea was good and the placement was good, but that font and the lowered opacity really doesn't work too well..
    Cool tag though!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tried a new style which I am going to expand furthur.

Kayouri

Banned
    Years
    I really like the tag. Good depth and lighting. The sudden black on the sides really bug me and i don't know if it's just me but it looks a bit monotone although it is an excellent tag.

Better?

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
    Nice lighting, text effects are good, maybe could have some gradient maps, etc.
    Maybe hide the text a bit, its a bit distracting. And the render needs some of that good ol' blend lovin.

Rate em.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    @ Vivaa.
    As I said before, maybe a bit taller with more of the prince in it. The Background has a bit too much depth so lessen on the smudging there. I suppose using the scanlines as clipping masks might have worked well.
    Overall it's pretty good, but not that 'wow'.

--
    Rateth thy banner.

t w e n t y - t w o . : Hokay. I'd just like to start off by saying this banner is smex. Great use of effects, textures and light. And I guess it doesnt hurt to have a pretty good looking woman in their either. xD

But still, its always fun to find things to complain about, so here we go. One thing that is only SLIGHTLY bugging me is how your lady's arm is kinda separate from the face..... Kinda giving it a "Rayman" look if you will. I know its still kinda obvious that the arm is coming from the ladies body, but meh I like complaining.

Last two things are as follows: One it is over topazed. I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions in saying that you DID use topaz, but whatever you used to give it that effect (whether it may be smart sharpen, intricate blurring and sharpening techniques, or your own wierd "doo-hikie") it still is a bit too much. The other thing is the lady's arm stretched out like that takes away from the flow and focal. But you cant fix that much eh?

Looking back at my rate it looks like I completely trashed on the tag, but really I love it. You must understand that, I think its just way easy for me to find bad things than good. ( When you talk about good things you cant elaborate on why you like it. You just do.) Great job!

I suck at making tags now!:
    Curse you architectural design applications!! xD

EDIT: Oh yea and sorry how my rates are long and annoying. >.<

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    CT ::
    For a start I will say. Bring back the smudge!
    Anyways. It's pretty good. Nothing super special about it I guess, it just looks good.
    Maybe some stuff coming out from behind him as well. I dunno, I'm in the same situation as you were XD

Rate Comic Tragedy's Banner

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    22:
    The light bulb doesn't seem to emit much lighting considering how bright it is. Effects on the right of the face seems to ruin the way the sg flows.
    CT:
    Pretty nice simplistic style. But the text needs fixing. Clipping doesn't suit it.
    Do both of mine, CT's & 22's:

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    @22 - The lighting on this one is borked. You have light coming from absolutely everywhere and I'm assuming it's just supposed to come from the light bulb. The depth seems to be pretty good but overall it's really over sharpened. It's also pretty monotone so use some gradient maps to change the colors.

@Comic Tragedy - It is pretty plain and I feel like it's too close up on his face. The light textures are too much for this tag. I feel like it should be darker effects considering the background. The lights are overall just really distracting.

@Munna - I like V2 more, the effects on the right in V1 look out of place. I really like how the shapes look like smoke coming out of the gun. I like the text too, but it looks like it's cut off once it gets away from his torso. Other than that though, I like it a lot.

-------------------------------------------------------------

huzzah inverted stocks

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
    CME - I love it at the first look, but when you look at it a bit longer it gets a bit wierd, the bottom is pulled off very nicely, but the head sought of just stands there. For me the motion of the banner looks like its going out from the bottom, but the stock is looking to the right. Which confuses me ;S. I do like the idea though, I tried it a few weeks ago but mine was much more simple and boring.

I tried something different, I got the idea from a drawing I made in VisCom at school. (Graphics class)
    It's a bit boring but what the heck.

Xoo

bam, baby!
    Years
    It's a crud of a lot better than what I did when I first got GIMP. But try playing around with the layer opacity and stuff like that. And try putting some colors in there that are the same as/close to the colors of the render.

~7/10

Oh, yeah, can someone rate the banner in my sig?

Punk Rocker: Nice text sig. The effects are good, and I suppose you were going for that sorta orange feel. Normally I would complain about there is ONLY orange in the tag, but like I said earlier.... I don't know.

HyperDrive:Meh, it is kinda boring. Just a few vector images painted onto a background, then you placed your render.

I recommend reading a few tutorials. Good luck.

Yoriu:Its pretty good. The effects are ok, so is the lighting, placement, and blending. You should really work on text though. Though not many people are t h a t good at text. *cough* munna *cough*

----------------
    Please rate my tag, Yoriu's and Hyper's.

Likewise

Bye.
    Years
    Comic Tragedy- Well, I don't feel qualified to rate but....
    The lighting seems put in.....unnecessary places (for a lack of a better phrase) and it looks a bit plain, a few c4d's wouldn't hurt either.... (sorry for the bad rating)
    ======================================================
    Now for mine!

It's my fourth real banner, I used an abstract tutorial that I found on deviant art.
    (beleive it or not, I used a notebook texture O.o)

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    @ Comic Tragedy.
    Ooh Goody I can still rate this? Yummy :P
    Anyways, it's pretty awesome, I'd love to be able to smudge like this, and the lighting in places IS nessecary.
    There is nothing that is really wrong with this banner.

@ Punk Rocker
    It's simple, but good in a way. I'd like to see a bit more grungy stuff over on the left, even the faintest bit.
    It's not bad overall. But your other stuff is better.

@ Color Me Evil
    This is... pretty darn awesome. Something like that would be very hard too pull off, but it's worked well.
    The left is a little empty, and as I said for Punk Rocker, maybe some more, just the tiniest bit, like those parts of the splatter that don't really matter, maybe some of those over there? I dunno, it's hard to critic something you love.

.Phones
    4th Banner eh? I'll do it from that perspective then.
    The render is kinda erased on the hair, not a good look. The double image thing is kinda meh.
    The text is meh as well, verticle text doesn't usually work well. Clean it up a bit I guess.

---
    Phew. Okay here I go.
    Sexy banner fresh out of the file.

Conman

Knowledgeable Ignorance
    Years
    The colors are nice and warm, and the focal is pretty smooth. The thing is that, though the smudging is ok, it is pretty plain in my eyes. All it is is parallel smudging, light, and a nice stock. The particles are nice touch too. It could still really use a C4D or two, maybe even some brushes or spliced-in stocks. It just needs more in general. Oh yea, the lighting is kinda random like .Phones said, but it does make it look better in some ways.
    First and foremost, the quality is pretty poor to me, especially the render's. Now though it is your 4th tag, I'm gonna rate it with no mercy. That is the kind of man I used to be (anime reference). The overall tag is a bit rough and ridged. It would have looked better smooth like 22's, yet still abstract. The colors are very washed out. They need to be more vibrant, I'd suggest using Hue-Saturation: Saturation +10. The reflections/mirror images in the BG aren't really presented good, nor go with the composition of the tag. The lighting could be much better since it seems it is coming from everywhere. Finally the text is kinda hard to read...it could be the colors or the fact it vertical.
    The flow of the focal and BG C4Ds match up very nicely. The overall composition of the tag is good, but I wouldn't mind seeing some texture behind/around the C4Ds. Now on the colors, on of the downfalls of this tag IMO. It looks kinda monotone, not fully, but enough o be mentioned. It needs more color in it. Another downfall is that it has light sources scattered throughout the tag. It makes the tag way too bright. I'd say only 2, maybe 3 look good and add to the tag's feel. To be more specific, I'd keep the neck lighting and bottom lighting on the C4D part. The text looks fine, but since it is white the brightness in that area kinda makes it meh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just something I threw together because I needed to do a new tag eventually. I had been planing to make a Cool Kids tag anway. Also I only needed 1 more real life tag to have 5 ready for a new dA tag wall. So what do yall think?
    Be honest and include suggestions, I need to get back my norm...

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    Conman: Overall, I think it has a good composition. My little nitpicks are that it is a tad too bright, and it is just a little to monotone for my tastes. Overall, though, it is a pretty good tag.

Gah, lame latest from me, working with smudge. Two versions.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Jake:
    Hmmm, too plain. D: First thing I notice. The one without text is much better, because it's apparent that you have yet to learn any text integration techniques. xD Tip: Don't just slap it on. Tip: Don't put it just anywhere.

Text is pretty tricky, so I'd suggest reading some tutorials on proper integration. ;D Otherwise, the smudge-y work looks much better on the first version, as do the colors. I like the first better, but the text is just so bad that the second must win. D: It needs a little more pop and pizazz. Maybe a texture, some brushwork, I dunno. It's not bad though, so that's a thumbs up. xD

I'm so satisfied with this tag. :D But I'm pretty sure that a lot of people won't like it as much as I do. </3 I obsessed over munna's comment in my gallery about how my tags always look LQ, so I tried to make this one much smoother in terms of effects. Like, not too many grunge-y things and textures and stuff.

I will totally come back sometime and give ACTUAL rates. D: I'm just busy busy busy right now. x_X
    AND FORGIVE ME FOR NEVER BEING AROUND. I MISS YOU ALL. </3

Sonido

阿散井 恋次
    Years
    Jake:
    Hmmm, too plain. D: First thing I notice. The one without text is much better, because it's apparent that you have yet to learn any text integration techniques. xD Tip: Don't just slap it on. Tip: Don't put it just anywhere.

Text is pretty tricky, so I'd suggest reading some tutorials on proper integration. ;D Otherwise, the smudge-y work looks much better on the first version, as do the colors. I like the first better, but the text is just so bad that the second must win. D: It needs a little more pop and pizazz. Maybe a texture, some brushwork, I dunno. It's not bad though, so that's a thumbs up. xD

I'm so satisfied with this tag. :D But I'm pretty sure that a lot of people won't like it as much as I do. </3 I obsessed over munna's comment in my gallery about how my tags always look LQ, so I tried to make this one much smoother in terms of effects. Like, not too many grunge-y things and textures and stuff.

I will totally come back sometime and give ACTUAL rates. D: I'm just busy busy busy right now. x_X
    AND FORGIVE ME FOR NEVER BEING AROUND. I MISS YOU ALL. </3
    I miss you too even though I dont know you.

You're tag looks really good, however, the background colour is kind of teal/black. This makes it look out of the tag - kinda not to do with it, far away - and this doesn't create a flow of colours.

I like everything else though. The textures/c4ds? are really well integrated. It does look a bit cramped but, for me, that's the appeal. In the main part of the tag, the render's features and colours are well brought out and the colours use, in the main part, are well chosen.

The only other suggestion will be for you to insert some text somewhere; it would look so much better, for me, with text. Maybe a block style text would be suitable.

All in all though, you're probably the most talented graphics artist I've met. I would love to chat with you sometimes, you could probably teach me a lot about graphics and Photoshop.

-------------------------------
    This image is more of a wallpaper/graphic image, I made is using a screen shot taken for the racing game, live for speed.

I tried to insert Smudging, to create flow; Blurring, to make to point of focus easier to see; Lighting, I tried to integrate lighting in my graphic to create effect; Colouring, I tried to choose the perfect colours to match my graphic and Clipping Masks, using them to create a "cut off" effect.

Please rate me in each of the points used below and feel free to add any suggestions. Also, feel free to use this as a wallpaper. However, please do not edit this in any way.

Link

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back