• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
Years
  • What you posted is a texture. Not a nice looking one, but one regardless. And before you go off on a tangent on being different than everyone else, you should probably get a little a little more experienced. I like to make art too - I'm going to major in Graphic Design - but sometimes you have to give in to what's popular before deciding to be different.

----------------------------------

Got rid of the brown. Happy now?

Art is not defined. It's whatever I make it. :]
    I appreciate your critique, and I take them all to heart and use them to improve.

As for experience, I've had 5 years of it, and have actually made quite a bit of money, design and coding website, as well as creating banners and miscellaneous things. So please. :P I know all about what is popular, and how to create things that are like that, I just like to make things that are pleasing to the eye.

And yes, I think it looks alot better without that brown. :]

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    CME:
    Have the "light" at a different colour instead of a flattening brown.

EV:
    Should have had the road be the bottom layer. Have the floating factories float in a sky…
    I like the red near the green but the green itself kinda ruins it. So too does the yellow green in the road. Grungy style is abit too much and needs to be more controlled.

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
    Years
  • That was funny: Haha, thanks for the critique, I didn't actually mean it to be rated. Since it's not a complete piece, but yeah, I agree with everything you said.

(ishta:
    Well, work needs to be done, the edges are sharp, and I'm completely confused by the sig. Visually, it's not that shabby, but you destroyed it by totally cutting off any form of blending or flow. and repeating the same parts over and over. The colors are nice, and attractive.
    Text leaves alot to be desired.

Rate Ishta's or someone elses.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • @ishta - Repeating the same parts over and over gets a little boring but I guess that's what you were going for? If you really wanted artistic fail you could've put a rainbow gradient map over the whole thing. :B Whenever I think of pink and green I usually think of watermelon colors, not pink and... puke. Colors could use some work but the concept isn't bad.

--------------------------------

More rates prz. :B

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • @Gunners: The Mario banner you posted is nice, but I think that if you saturate it a bit more and take of some of the sharpening, then it would look much nicer. But that is just my opinion.

@Color Me Evil: The banner is great, the only things that I don't like are the texture (is it a texture??) at the top right hand corner covering up the characters face, and also the color of the text, maybe use the magenta color from the character's hair instead of that purple color.

Anyway, I just made this for a competition on another site...
    Tell me what you guys think:

https://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp177/tec3297/Image5.png

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • How is the texture I used covering up the stock's face...?

As for the wallpaper, it looks nice. The colors are great and I like the text box, but you could've subtracted from the box differently. Rather than planting white brushes on it, you could've erased the box using your lightning brushes. Easy as that. For the string pattern in the background, it's incredibly blurry and pixely. I assume you increased the size from the original. You shouldn't have. ]: It doesn't look so hot - try re-doing it or finding a larger, similar texture.

RATE PROOF!'S WALLPAPER

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • @proof
    The strings around him are okay but I really like the whole color scheme of it. The text is pretty cool, the font and differences in sizes make it interesting. The only thing I'm having a problem with is the guy, the light coming from above him makes it hard on the eyes and takes away from him, maybe lower that a little, afterall he is the focal of this whole thing. Nice job overall though.

Rate this plz

Dusclord

Ganon killer
    Years
  • Color Me Evil => I think you should have colored the text with the same pink than the one on the render, this one seems too dark. Good job anyway.

Proof! => The colors are kind of funky, those make the brighter zones (the hairs for instance) a bit too much saturated. The rest has been said (:

WriteThemeWrong => Nice c4D effect but it doesn't fit at all with the (very small) render, maybe you should take another one, bigger and more expressive 'cause this one is quite unusable because of its size and position.

I did this with one of my sigs I cut, since the text wasted it all...

Years

• The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Color Me Evil:
    Ehh... no, don't like this. First of all, it's way too crowded. I obviously know what I'm suppose to be looking at, but it doesn't really stick out as much as it should be sticking out. Maybe you should remove some of the abstract shapes in the background on the right. Secondly, the flow is totally screwed up. You can tell by the render (which is extremely low quality, by the way) which way this tag should flow. You went, like... the opposite way. :/ And that's only the right side; the left side sort of has nice flow, but the blue stripes and the flowers definitely clash, and they also help contribute to this "clutter" issue. Third is the text. What the hell were you thinking, CME? I've seen you pull off that style before, but you definitely borked it this time.

Overall, this tag is... er, not good. I think you should really re-evaluate your technique again; you're kind of losing that "edge", y'know?

WriteThemWrong:
    Read some tutorials. Seriously. There's definitely some tips and tricks you're missing out on. Try deviantART.

I'm not even going to bother pointing out what's wrong with this. Learn the basics, then come back. Even if you're not new to graphics, you'd definitely benifit from reading a few good tutorials.

Dusclord:
    Get rid of those squares next to the text. They're awful, and they take away from the flow. Also, the text could use a little work, too. It'd probably look better if it were a sans-serif font such as Trebuchet MS or Myriad Pro. I don't know, it's really comes down to taste. Flow is good, ignoring the squares. I like the way the scanlines are almost on the exact angle as Gengar's 'spikes'. One thing I'm not sure of is what the hell that... um, 'thunderbolt' thing on his face is. It's kind of distracting, but I like it at the same time. Maybe you should make it stick out a little less... lower the opacity, perhaps?

Oh, and one last thing: that border. It needs to go. I used to think transparent borders looked great at one point. But that was before I realized... well, they don't. Infact, they look horrible. :/ So yeah, I'd get rid of that.

Alright, my turn. Haven't posted in this thread for a while, and I don't think I've ever posted an LP to be rated. Anyway...

Alternate cover for Kanye West's "808s & Heartbreak" album. I didn't intend for it to be an album cover originally, but it kind of just... y'know, 'swayed' that way. Will be a WIP if I can find where I put the damn PSD. >:[

Spoiler:

Last edited:

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
    Years
  • Rockets: I like the concept alot, don't think it was executed too well though. The little designs, there are too many, they are too small, don't have a theme, and only seem to distract from the overall peice. This consists of mostly the left side. With these kinds of things, the art coming off, should almost feel like a part of Kanye, but here, it doesn't.
    The right side of his body is pretty good though. I like how you incorporated the text, and I LOVE the green spot. Not much of a fan of the position of the Album Text.

Basically, I would re-do the left side, it's just not working.
    The right side is pretty good. :]

Concept = Awesome.
    <3

I'd actually like a few more thoughts on this.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    EarthsVisitor: I see you've added a stroke to your text. While it's good that it doesn't stick out like crazy since you turned down the opacity, text effects like that can't be so random. The fonts kind of clash, and urgh, the color is funky. xD; I'm not a fan.

The biggest beef with this tag I've got is your .png. I mean, the left side looks like it's pixel art, but the left doesn't. And the whole thing is covered in noise. This kind of makes the entire thing look really low quality, and while I totally know how that is, I'm still going to preach it. xD; All the lines, the border and line behind the prince and those things in the corner, they're really distracting. I suggest... Uh, getting rid of all of them. D: Despite the various shortcomings of this tag however, I adore the sandy look that the tag has, and your light isn't half bad either. I think your best bet if you want to turn the sandy look in the back in the opposite direction of the flow of your tag is to make it look as if sand is blowing against him. Perhaps with another texture on top?

Rockets: I love it, for the most part. xD You know I'm a sucker for the vector stuff, and the text is great. The silhouette is recognizable, and basically, anything I don't mention is good to go:

- flowery brushes on the left? Small, irritating, and not... blooming enough. They feel kind of pansy for Kanye, and I think you should try replacing them with.... larger/more detailed, elaborate brushwork.
    - One of the brushes next to your spatter on Kanye's head is blurred, and it looks really, really weird. xD; If everything else is flat, don't add a blurred element out of nowhere. It makes for a wonky perspective. And the little squiggle behind "WEST" is also blurred. Sharpen them?
    - 808's Heartbreak needs to move. On top of "KANYE" perhaps? It looks really awkward where it is right now, kind of like munna's thirty-six, rather than the title of the album.

CME: Hate the text.

Love everything else.

That's pretty much my rate if you pull a tl;dr.

The text gradient thing feels kinda strange. It's too gradual and smooth for the rest of the tag, which is pretty loaded down. I think the text would look pretty nice right next to the girl's left arm/bracelet. Perhaps cut the "E" in "SPICE" off so that the text looks like it's peeking out from behind her bracelet? It'll be less distracting that way.

I adore. Adore. Adore. The .png on the right. It's like, heaven sent. D: It fit's really well, and adds a spruce of color- which is like, exactly what it's supposed to do! :O I love the flowery texture it has a much more "cutesy" look than the ones I used, which fits really well with the .png choice. I'm pretty sure you deviated in terms of the way I created a lightsource, and I totally understand that. (Because I was kind of sitting there like, "... How do I explain this fluke?") But I think you pulled it off pretty well. It looks a little too strong, like the filter effect I said to avoid, but you could probably take down the inner edges a little to make the transition a little more natural. (That probably doesn't make any sense either. Screw it. xD)

I dunno. I like it. xD

Years
  • @ishta - Repeating the same parts over and over gets a little boring but I guess that's what you were going for? If you really wanted artistic fail you could've put a rainbow gradient map over the whole thing. :B Whenever I think of pink and green I usually think of watermelon colors, not pink and... puke. Colors could use some work but the concept isn't bad.

Haha. It's supposed to Artistic Fall
    . But anyway, I get what you've said.
    It's supposed to be sorta choppy and sharp but yeah.

A new piece.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • @ EarthsVisitor: I love the piece, I think that it would have looked better with a cap of the prince from the game tho.

@(ishta]: Great job, but I think the the character in the middle is a bit small, maybe if he was a bit bigger and more prominent it would look much nicer. :)

Rate plz
    Click to enlarge

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • @proof
    There is just way too much going on with it. The stuff at the top and bottom, all the lines, the effect in the middle, and I don't like the whole blue ambiance.

Rate this plz

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • WriteThemWrong:
    First of all, the background being a C4D is way to simple and doesn't aid in the flow of the tag. The effects around the sprite are good, but as a whole, they don't really have a lot of oomph or appeal.
    The sprite is nowhere near blended in, and although it doesn't need much being a sprite, a little bit in some spots might look nicer..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My latest banner made using some different techniques as usual..

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • @noxious: I like it, the colors are nice, although I would have liked it better if the character's hair was more of a reddish color like the reds at the bottom of the banner. The swirling effects give it a really nice touch. Keep up the great work!

I thought I would get someone else's opinion on this one
    Click To Enlarge

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
  • Proof! - The colour is too bright I reckon, and the text doesn't go well with it. Plus it looks a bit too sharp. I think a blocky text would go well while maybe a soft blue instead of the aqua blue.

I haven't made a banner in ages so don't go wacky on me.

And i'd like these two rated if someone has time.
    Background 1
    Background 2

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
    Years
  • Proof! - The colour is too bright I reckon, and the text doesn't go well with it. Plus it looks a bit too sharp. I think a blocky text would go well while maybe a soft blue instead of the aqua blue.

I haven't made a banner in ages so don't go wacky on me.

And i'd like these two rated if someone has time.
    Background 1
    Background 2

I love the tag, and the wallpapers.
    The tag needs some work with the text, it's a big turn off.
    Actually, it was alot better, until I figured out that the thing in the middle was a girl holding a microphone. Which then makes the whole sig feel off, and feel empty on the sides.

I like the wallpapers, nothing "special" but they're good. I would get rid of the big smudgy blur on the top right corners though. It throws me off.

Rate Punk Rocker's stuff

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back