• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Great Video Game Music Challenge! [Over!]

pkmin3033

Let's get retro! Video game music wasn't always so flashy - back in the days before some of us were even born, video game music was little more than a collection of differently toned beeps...and it was amazing. So today, share with us your favourite track from those good old days of 8-bit!

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Day 21 - Your Favorite 8-Bit Track

Impossible to pick just one. I went with this one just because I had the game for the GB, and remember humming this theme all the time as a kid.

pkmin3033

Day 22 - A track you feel is unappreciated

Time to tread some potentially dangerous, highly controversial grounds. Everyone has their favourites, and certain themes often get lauded as the pinnacle of the game's soundtrack...but they are not all that there is to it. Often, there are equally fantastic - if not better - tracks to be heard that nobody ever talks about. Similarly, forgotten games can have amazing soundtrack that nobody ever seems to acknowledge. So, for today, share with us a track that you feel is unappreciated by the masses, despite its quality.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • A track you feel is unappreciated

HOLY.. I MISSED SO MUCH. anyway, i can think of a hundred games with underappreciated sountracks but I'll just share one anyway:

actually you know what, I'll just share something from Wolfenstein 3D, because i feel that game itself is underappreciated by those who claim they love Old school games. No one remembers the music of Wolfenstein 3D other than the menu theme and possibly the first map theme, so here i am sharing some good ole WOLF3D to start the day right and since I slept so much on the way back home from our out-of-town trip, I might as well spend the rest of midnight awake, and feeling aliiiiveeee!

A track you'd have played at your funeral

Remembrance. Reminiscence. And so the sad music played, playing the memories of the heroes who have fallen before the hands of evil, Handsome Jack, Crimson Lances, and Ultrasatan himself. Was this something i heard when i first experienced gut-wrenching heartbreak?

Or would this be the music that would play when i live to old age and die of natural causes? Yes it will be. People will remember the day that I invaded hell, told Ultrasatan to screw himself while shoving Handsome Jack's severed limbs into his throat and arsehole while his momma, the black primordial ooze that spawned the every essense of EVIL itself, will scream and cry like a B***h, and all that good stuff. Generations of young Jojos and Jannas will remember how their father of fathers fought his one-man war against hell, heaven, and beyond earth. (or i dunno what the f i'm talking about)

LoD's Sad Piano music is something that I really do feel... it deserves its title name.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

It's Monday! So let's keep things nice and simple, because god only knows nobody likes Monday. For today's challenge, post a final boss theme! Be mindful of spoilers if you're going to go into detail about it :3

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • A Final Boss Theme

This should come with some warning: spoilars tag though. But yeah

You all know this was coming right? And no, its not some DOOM music either ;)

Not only do i have a biased LOVE and HONOR view with MGRR's OST (unlike the certain 5th gen Legendary who would cringe and despair at the game's revengeful OST >;)))) ) but i really enjoy Senator's Armstrong's Final boss theme for a couple of reasons. Its a perfect way to settle the score between the murderprince Raiden and the mastermind behind all of the revengeance-cy plot. There are many theories and interpretations behind "It has to be this way" but I'll be sticking more on the original interpretation: Raiden and Armstrong somehow share the same worldviews of the Strong surviving and the weak being weak and helpless, but they do not share the same intentions. So what a way to settle the score, and Raiden's mission is to fight against a MAD US SENATOR.

Nanomachines son. But.. this isn't my theme song.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Day 23 - A Final Boss Theme

I'll keep it simple too. I love this this theme, and though its heard a few times throughout the game, it still plays for the final boss, so it is a final boss theme.

Funny thing, the first Lufia game actually spoils the ending to second game.

Bay

Years
  • Day 22 - A track you feel is unappreciated

So, there has been controversy how Bravely Second's music isn't up to par like the previous game (different composer this time around. While I think the Special Moves for Second is a bit lackluster and the asterisk theme isn't as heart pounding as Their Name Is, I still like this theme and the game's music overall too.

Day 23 - A Final Boss Theme

Child of Light a third time, why not? XD Anyways, this is my favorite from the soundtrack along with Sword of Mars. There's also a chior version that's just as awesome.

pkmin3033

And now for something completely different! We're all quite visual people, and for each of us different colours have different meanings when we think of them. Whilst red is commonly associated with anger and violence, it can also be associated with love courage, and a host of other emotions. It might make you think of a flag, or a particular moment in life. Different things, different people. So, for today's challenge, post a track from a video game that makes you think of the colour red - or a track that you might think of when you see something red, or even "see red" as it were - and tell us a bit about your choice.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • RED!

as if this thumbnail isn't Red enough

RIP AND TEAR! RIP AND TEAR THOSE GUTS!

FEELINGS OF INVINCIBILITY, ENDLESS RAMPAGE, AND UNADULTERATED RAGE! RIP AND TEAR UNTIL ITS DONE! COURAGE, SAVAGERY, RUTHLESS AGGRESSION, SLAUGHTER! I DONT NEED A GUN! GUNS ARE FOR WUSSES!

When i think of the color red, its all about Passion and Rage. Passion represents the uncontrolled love of what we are doing and the unhinged desire for victory, while Rage represents the expression of unhinged and unadulterated overwhelming hatred of defeat and failure. While Passion and Rage are two negative sides of the coin, both expressions of emotion represent strong and uncontrollable states of the living, breathing, and bleeding organism such as ourselves.

The Berserker powerup of Doom represents the Doom Marine (Doomguy)'s extremities while under its effects. Passion and Rage. Under the effects of the berserker powerup, the Doomguy becomes exceedingly passionate with his desire to destroy the demonic hordes and whoever else is hostile, while under the same powerup, the Doomguy is enveloped with rage. His unhinged rage enables him to brutally overwhelm his adversaries in such ruthlessly horrific manners that he himself becomes a much more frightening and evil force than the enemies he's facing. His feelings of invincibility and excessive strength while under the said powerup enables him to become the destructive "Hell Slayer" that he is.

Mick Gordon's composition shown above perfectly represents the namesake of the BGM piece, RIP AND TEAR! The excessively heavy bangs of drums, the overwhelmingly noisy guitar shreds, and the momentary pauses before the drums and guitar shreds are similar to the effects of that Berserker Pack. Loud. Heavy. Brutal. Noisy. Full of Rage and Passion.

Last edited:

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Day 24 - Color Challenge I: Red

When it comes to a video game soundtrack that makes me think of the color red, I have one in mind. The song I have in mind is Sovereign's Theme from Mass Effect. Why does that song make me think of the color red? Well there are certain reasons. One of them being
    Spoiler:

Bay

Years

I'M FINE.

Apollo Justice comes to mind. He's usually associated with red due to his hot-bloodied personality contrast to Phoenix and his design. Miles Edgeworth is often associated with red too, but I think the color fits Apollo better.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years

Flame shows no partiality and destroys both good and evil. I mean, it is the Elemental Lord of Fire so it's hard not to think of burning awesomeness when I listen to this theme.

pkmin3033

Quite a lot of video games will use proper songs as a part of their soundtrack; in the opening title sequence before the menu screen, in the ending credits, or occasionally at dramatic moments for added impact. So, for today's challenge, post your favourite video game song!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Day 25 - Your favourite song

I don't want to cheat and repost an entry that involves Demon Hunter and Killing Floor 2.. so I'll just spill out stuff from other things I love.

Game: League of Legends
    Title: Here Comes Vi
    Sung by: Nicki Taylor

Spoiler:

For a time, in League, Vi was my Bae. And it might still be is.

Last edited:
    Back