• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Men's Rights Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    If someone wants to focus on and raise awareness for the issues that men face then fine, as long as they realise that men are still in a position of privilege in society and that many of these issues are tied to negative gender roles that affect women too, and that the issues women face are quite frankly more frequent and severe.

Men's Rights as a movement has always been something that I can't take seriously though, because for the most part it seems to be born out of a knee jerk reaction to those darn feminists rather than an actual desire for change. Too many MRAs are grossly misogynistic man babies who can't handle the idea that they might be in a privileged position in society and none of their actions really have anything to do with promoting awareness.

If MRAs actually cared about making a difference in men's lives and not "fighting back" against feminism then I might take them seriously, but seeing them in action actually disgusts me. How can anybody support a movement that sends death threats to the creator of a pro-women hashtag, spams online sexual assault forms and has members who relate to and actually support people like Elliot Rodgers? It's gone past being a difference of opinion. If MRAs were actually concerned with promoting awareness about stuff like prostate cancer and negative gender roles and what have you instead of targeting feminism then I might actually be able to support them, but when the vast majority of them are whiny (and sometimes violent) man children the movement just becomes a complete farce and I will never support it.

Special treatment for minorites
    lmao you are the most ridiculous person.

Last edited:

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    By the looks of this thread, we have a long way to go before we have genuine equality. It's a bit disheartening to read, but it's nothing surprising, so I shouldn't be too disappointed.

It's all so damn political. All this hot air about SPECIFIC AREAS THAT ARE NOT OKAY rather than focusing on being all round reasonable in all regards, almost like we're using scapegoats for the genuine problem...

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Oh, us poor men. We never get a break from the constant stream of discrimination that we face in everyday life. I mean, every single world leader out there is a woman, and women also get paid much more than men. And then you have all these religions talking about the subjugation of men.

Oh, wait.

Look, I'm all for gender equality. Personally, as a man I wouldn't want to see men being treated as if they were beneath women, but it irks me just as much when I see women being treated as if they were beneath men. In my opinion, we are all equals, and gender shouldn't limit anyone from doing anything.

However, the Men's Rights movement is largely composed of childish, misogynistic neckbeards who do nothing but whine about the "friend zone" and how girls never want to go out with them. Also, they all seem to love to make hugely offensive remarks about rape and minimize the impact that it has on a woman's life. I'd actually support the movement if it actually brought up real issues and worked together with the feminist movement (and it could) to fight for equality.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    We're always cool, Ray. My thing is that there aren't any other interest groups pursuing men's issues. Every one of those issues that's listed on that link I gave is something I feel is important, and most people don't care enough to do anything at best and are actively hostile at worst. As many things are wrong with the men's right movement right now and despite how fractured and meandering it is, at least they give a damn about the issues men have to deal with and are trying to do something about it, even if their right hand is smacking their head and their left hand is punching themselves in the crotch (in other words, they're disorganized, fragmented, and often adversarial even to each other).

Sorry no, if you would actually do some research and read what feminism is about you'd know that it fights for EQUALITY and that means ALSO for men.
    In spirit, maybe. In practice, I have never seen someone who currently considers him or herself a feminist give anything more than lip service to any of the problems listed in the link I gave in the first post. And those are the generous ones; many are outright hostile to the idea that men have issues at all or that they're something we should be trying to fix.

The reason it's called feminism is because it focuses on the disadvantageous position of females in particular, like earning less than men on the same job (??? like wtf, you can't actually think that's okay), or getting the blame for being harassed/assaulted/raped etc. based on their clothes or behavior or sexual history. And what's wrong with empowering women in the classroom?
    I don't want to get into those things in this thread, there are other threads to talk about those issues and I've already offered my thoughts on them there.

MRA is absolutley horrible and I strongly suggest that you do some research. The only issue regarding it is that it exists.
    For what reason do you think that? I just see men's rights advocacy as the other side of the coin that is feminism, like Ray said: it's advocating for men's issues, but the end goal for both groups is fair treatment for everyone.

When I read "Men's Rights Movement", my brain interprets "Keeping Men's Privileges Over Women Movement". I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to defend some gender's rights specifically over the other's, when we all should push for equality.
    Nobody's focusing on anything to the exclusion of others, we're pursuing our own interests because nobody else will. As Yoshikkko said, feminism concentrates on women's issues. I've never seen any active feminists pursuing any of the issues I listed in the link in my first post. Ideally, men's rights advocacy would just concentrate on improving issues for men. The movement's still in its infancy and very disorganized, but at the core I think what they're saying is right.

But, if we are going to focus on somebody, the men's Right-O-Meter is on 90% while women have barely started to get out of the "openly and proudly discriminated against" stage.
    There are more than enough people in the world to be able to have numerous groups simultaneously pursuing fair treatment for different kinds of people. We need people pursuing men's issues because if we don't, no one else will and the abuses will only get worse. The existence of male advocates isn't to the detriment of other advocacy groups.

creating a movement to defend the already privileged gender is even wronger.
    Are you suggesting it's wrong to try and fix the problems in front of us just because others, elsewhere are suffering more? Is it acceptable that harm be done to someone just because it's not as harmful as other wrongs being perpetrated? Is it acceptable to sentence a man to life in prison for a crime he didn't commit because many women in the world can't vote?

Oh, us poor men. We never get a break from the constant stream of discrimination that we face in everyday life. I mean, every single world leader out there is a woman, and women also get paid much more than men. And then you have all these religions talking about the subjugation of men.

Oh, wait.
    As someone who is trying to push for issues that nobody wants to even acknowledge, one of the harder things I have to do is always be kind and tactful and take it in stride when people laugh at me just because I'm trying to raise awareness of issues that have driven many men (at least one whom I have known personally) to despair and, in some cases, even suicide (luckily this didn't happen with the guy I'm acquainted with). It's infuriating that people are so callous and derisive about these things when I have seen firsthand the kind of damage they do. It's painful.

I understand that there are others in the world who suffer even more than some of the folks I know do, but that doesn't make their suffering meaningless and something we should just ignore.

However, the Men's Rights movement is largely composed of childish, misogynistic neckbeards who do nothing but whine about the "friend zone" and how girls never want to go out with them.
    I'm sure those people exist, but while I do have a problem with the way some MRAs act, I haven't known a single one who falls into this description, and I am at least acquainted with around a dozen or so. Most of the ones I know are fathers who have been on the wrong side of the family court hammer. Some of them are very angry and go too far in what they say, but I don't know a one who as you describe.

Also, they all seem to love to make hugely offensive remarks about rape and minimize the impact that it has on a woman's life. I'd actually support the movement if it actually brought up real issues and worked together with the feminist movement (and it could) to fight for equality.
    I do know some MRAs who go too far in this kind of way. Not specifically what you mentioned, but just a general disdain for women, probably as a result of the bad experiences they've had with their spouses.

I did link several issues in the initial post that I think are important and that many MRAs fight to raise awareness about. I was hoping people would discuss their thoughts on those issues more than they did: which ones they think are relevant, what they think should be done to solve the ones that they feel are important, etc.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    As far as the issues, I'd like to take up one of them in particular - the issue of custody. I went to the link you posted and followed their links to studies about how the courts are biased, but it didn't convince me due to another study - this one about divorce statistics both in Massachusetts and nationally. While it is old, it matches the age of the study in the link roughly. The study itself is not easy to read, but the relevant statistics are pulled out by this site here:

Study 1: MASS
    2100 cases where fathers sought custody (100%)
    5 year duration

29% of fathers got primary custody
    65% of fathers got joint custody
    7% of mothers got primary custody

Study 2: MASS
    700 cases. In 57, (8.14%) father sought custody
    6 years

67% of fathers got primary custody
    23% of mothers got primary custody

Study 3: MASS
    500 cases. In 8% of these cases, father sought custody
    6 years

41% of fathers got sole custody
    38% of fathers got joint custody
    15% of mothers got sole custody

Study 4: Los Angeles
    63% of fathers who sought sole custody were successful

Study 5: US appellate custody cases
    51% of fathers who sought custody were successful (not clear from wording whether this includes just sole or sole/joint custody)

When we talk about custody, we can't just talk about shared custody without addressing how parents interact with the system - and for that matter, with the children. From this Pew study, mothers still spend twice as much time as fathers with children a day.

This isn't an indictment on fathers, though, as a large chunk of this in my opinion has to do with societal opinions on fatherhood. In that same study they found that more fathers than mothers felt like they weren't spending enough time with their children; while part of that can be attributed to the second shift of mothers spending time with children at night when fathers do not, part of this is also the attitudes towards fathers that want to spend time with their children at the expense of work - I don't have a comprehensive study for this one so it might be misinformed, but I've heard plenty of stories about men being judged or criticized because they chose to take paternity leave or have to leave work for the sake of the children.

So uh, this post was kind of all over the place and is already really long so I'll just end it here.

Sir Codin

Speaking of MRA's, here a feminist arguing after an MRA rally. This woman is literally the worst person ever and if she represents feminism, I want nothing to do with it. No really, her attitude really makes me want to vomit.

There's a reason men die sooner than women. They chose to so they don't have to take another minute of this.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    It's not fair to judge a movement on one person; I don't judge men's rights activism on the man who said child prostitutes should be prosecuted for "preying" on pedophiles. I don't judge men's rights activism on the comments from a mass murder based on woman-hating in 2009 - the comments about how the shooting of 12 women is a "tax" that they deserve for accepting men's drinks and dinners, how it is a literal crime when women refuse men sex, how 99% of women caused the mass shooting by being shallow, the comment where a man literally says "I applaud rape". Finding one person that's ridiculous and saying "this must be feminism, I can't stand behind this movement" dismisses men's rights activism just as much. In fact, it dismisses any movement and any group just as much, as there are extremists in any group.

It's sexist to find one woman that has views that you hate and make a sweeping statement about how men interact with women, blaming it on women, by the way.

Years
    Speaking of MRA's, here a feminist arguing after an MRA rally. This woman is literally the worst person ever and if she represents feminism, I want nothing to do with it. No really, her attitude really makes me want to vomit.

There's a reason men die sooner than women. They chose to so they don't have to take another minute of this.

ugh thats my university

i caught wind of them trying to prevent people from walking into a lecture hall because they disagreed with what the lecturer (a sociology professor who advocates for men's rights) had to say

ick. oh, and the student gov president was among them as well. i mean, you shouldn't be harassing people and preventing them from going where they want to go, can you? who has the right?

in any case that's campus feminism for you

Years
    Actually the term "feminism" has been bent by the second and third waves who claim to want equality and claim to care about male rights but then in practice only harp on about the problems women face and tell men we are sexist the minute we point out our own problems or point out a reason they may be wrong. These hypocritical "feminists" are what has deteriorated what was once a great movement and bent the definition of the term.

Don't tell me they hold little influence and don't tell me they don't exist. A lot of extremely vocal and extremely well-known feminists are like this and so are pretty much all of the feminists I have personally met.

The biggest issue around male rights I see, is that there aren't enough people aware of the problems men can face and there is nobody who seems to advocate for men. I'm the first to say that we should stop movements like the MRM or feminism and start focusing on human rights as whole regardless of gender, but I also think a big part of that is ending this strange notion that men are ridiculously privileged or have little to no problems facing them.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I like that you pointed out some of the disadvantages men face, and the true meaning of feminism. Sadly I feel the word "feminism" has been bent by both those against it, and by the extreme wing of the movement. I think that men think that feminism is for females only as often time they don't hear that they'll also benefit from it, nor take the time to research it up. I think that as feminists we must do a better job at teaching more men how they'll benefit from gender equality. Once we do that there'll be no need for an MRA group (or a WRA) as Feminism already covers it (it just has to show it more).
    Like I said in my response, everyone says that feminism will benefit men and solve men's problems, but I've yet to see any fighting for any of the issues that matter to me from a nontrivial number of moderate or not-so-moderate feminists. They're busy advocating for their own issues, it's their focus. We need men's advocates of some kind if only because nobody else is fighting for the issues men face.

As for the current state of men's advocacy, I think there's certainly a lot of room for improvement on all fronts. MRAs need to refocus on the core issues, clean up their image a bit if possible, and stop being so reactionary to other movements which are really pretty unrelated. A lot of MRAs spend too much effort pointing out all the problems with stuff that some of the more radical feminists are saying. I don't think that should be part of the movement. It's fine if they want to point out all of those problems, but I think it should be on an individual basis and not as a part of the men's rights movement. Male advocacy shouldn't be about pointing out the problems (valid or otherwise) with other movements that usually don't harm men, it should be about raising awareness of and solving the issues that face men. Now, if they're saying something openly violent or derogatory about men, that's another story, but so long as they stick to advocating for their own issues, I don't think that's something MRAs should be nitpicking about as a part of the movement.

Years
    I took a look at the link twocows gave in the first post even though I've only got a bad impression of the whole Men's Rights thing. Thought I should try to be as open-minded as I could. The points raised were these:

• Vilification
    • Child Custody Discrimination
    • Legal Discrimination
    • Education Discrimination
    • False accusations
    • Prevalence of Male Genital Mutilation
    • Recognition of Male Victims

Okay, so let's look at them.

Vilification
    The idea that men are vilified as the only group who commit rape, domestic violence, etc. It is true that anyone can be a victim or a perpetrator of violence. News media, politicians, and those types shouldn't ever say otherwise. However, most violence is done by men and I would not blame anyone for being wary around men they don't know because of that reason. I think one good solution would be for more depictions and examples in our media of men who denounce violence or discrimination against women and the associated justifications used against women.

Child Custody Discrimination
    I think Oryx handled this one pretty well. Not gonna add anything right now.

Legal Discrimination
    I'm all for equality under the law, just so long as the law is fair as well. If there is a big disparity I don't know what can be done about that except to create a more equal society in general so that people won't think of men as extra deserving of punishment and women as somehow less deserving.

Education Discrimination
    The argument here seems to be that there has been a lot to help and encourage women to succeed in education and that not much of the same for men. The link specifically uses the phrase "no longer necessary" which leads me to believe that the person who wrote that (and by extension the people who agree with it) think that we have somehow achieved equality in education. I have to disagree with this premise, though I don't want to cite a bunch of examples right now. I'll just say that there are plenty of studies and examples that show, for instance, that girls don't get called on in class as often as boys. So, yes, there aren't men-specific programs to boost education, but there are everybody-specific programs. The fact that women and girls often fall behind is why there are special extra things to help them.

False Accusations
    I don't believe there is an epidemic of false accusations. I think that's just a matter of some people cherry picking what news they watch or read. And the news is also to blame in a lot for putting cases into the public view for trial-by-public which the article seems not to like. So this seems like it would be win-win if legal proceedings weren't put into the news like they are.

Prevalence of Male Genital Mutilation
    Equating circumcision with genital mutilation is spurious. Even if you feel that circumcision is bad it's not on the same level of bad as female genital mutilation. Given the hype it has, you can probably just talk to a doctor if you don't want your baby boy circumcised and your wishes will be followed.

Recognition of Male Victims
    Here I think I agree completely. Men should be recognized as victims of assault, rape, etc. when they are so that they can have the same legal protections and receive whatever medical/psychological/etc. care they need.

So overall I feel like there are some things I can agree on, but I can't shake this feeling that a lot of people who agree with these ideas feel as if we are on an equal playing field. It seems like they're upset that there is not a lot of help being given to men while it's being given to women, as though everything else were equal. That just doesn't jive with me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Esper;8306875[B said:
    Prevalence of Male Genital Mutilation[/B]
    Equating circumcision with genital mutilation is spurious. Even if you feel that circumcision is bad it's not on the same level of bad as female genital mutilation. Given the hype it has, you can probably just talk to a doctor if you don't want your baby boy circumcised and your wishes will be followed.

As someone who is circumcised, I can guarantee you that there are some very long lasting effects to this unnecessary procedure (except in rare medically necessary instances). I have voiced to my birth mother my displeasure over her decision to have that done to me. None of my brothers are circumcised. Just me. It is a part of me that was ripped away (okay, cut) that I can never get back. And what made me so angry was that I had no chance to be a part of that decision. It was made for me. I'm just thankful that I was too young and don't remember the pain that I must have had to endure while the wound healed. Calling male circumcision genital mutilation is an accurate description. Because that is exactly what it is.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    As someone who is circumcised, I can guarantee you that there are some very long lasting effects to this unnecessary procedure (except in rare medically necessary instances). I have voiced to my birth mother my displeasure over her decision to have that done to me. None of my brothers are circumcised. Just me. It is a part of me that was ripped away (okay, cut) that I can never get back. And what made me so angry was that I had no chance to be a part of that decision. It was made for me. I'm just thankful that I was too young and don't remember the pain that I must have had to endure while the wound healed. Calling male circumcision genital mutilation is an accurate description. Because that is exactly what it is.

I don't think many older males will want to be circumcised either seeing how it's even more painful as you age than when you're young. It does have some health benefits though. I wouldn't choose that for any sons I may have in the future though.

Hitsushiro

someone
    Years
    If someone wants to focus on and raise awareness for the issues that men face then fine, as long as they realise that men are still in a position of privilege in society and that many of these issues are tied to negative gender roles that affect women too, and that the issues women face are quite frankly more frequent and severe.

Men's Rights as a movement has always been something that I can't take seriously though, because for the most part it seems to be born out of a knee jerk reaction to those darn feminists rather than an actual desire for change. Too many MRAs are grossly misogynistic man babies who can't handle the idea that they might be in a privileged position in society and none of their actions really have anything to do with promoting awareness.

If MRAs actually cared about making a difference in men's lives and not "fighting back" against feminism then I might take them seriously, but seeing them in action actually disgusts me. How can anybody support a movement that sends death threats to the creator of a pro-women hashtag, spams online sexual assault forms and has members who relate to and actually support people like Elliot Rodgers? It's gone past being a difference of opinion. If MRAs were actually concerned with promoting awareness about stuff like prostate cancer and negative gender roles and what have you instead of targeting feminism then I might actually be able to support them, but when the vast majority of them are whiny (and sometimes violent) man children the movement just becomes a complete farce and I will never support it.

Your description of the MRM can be to an extent accounted for the Feminist movement also. We have reached a stage where misandry is almost a subconsciously accepted idea in our society. The whole Feminist movement is widely misunderstood. For one, it stands for equality of rights and helping mistreated women. But then secondly, it is the wrong thing to do. What you mentioned about MRM can be reflected onto Feminism, but that would actually be condemned in society because man are the privileged people.

Also, to say that women are worse off is wrong. They do have huge issues that we need to deal with, but men have their own share of issues which should not be looked down upon. Unfortunately a portion of the western society chooses to ignore that.

This is a pretty good start on what male issues are:
    [unfortunately, I cannot post links as I have not made 15 posts yet. Sigh... take a look at the /r/mensrights subreddit if anyone is interested]

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    While I am all for the equal treatment of men, I prefer removing the stereotypes placed against them as opposed to this whole advocate thing (although I do agree with some of these points).

Since the topic seems to lean towards circumcision atm, I just wanna point out that I read two different resources (a modern one aimed towards infants and this older one - specifically #7) as well as an article listing reasons why you shouldn't (which seems to contradict the info given in the other articles in some instances) and I just wanna say that it doesn't seem that bad to me. It seems like there's a lot of health benefits and the only reason people petition against it is because it's painful and your baby can't give consent to it. That's just my view on it. I should probably do some more research on it but eh.

Years
    Health benefits seem kinda iffy. The risk of urinal tract infections is only serious enough for a small minority of people to get circumcision for medical reasons, and that's not really a pediatric problem. I'd say it's more so out of tradition.

for him.

I'm trash.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    I believe this is more of a double standard issue.

Men aren't usually seen as victims of sexual abuse, rape, psychological and psychical abuse if inflicted by a woman. More often than not, the man become the laughing stalk of the masses no matter what the gender if people find out that the man has been abused or raped in anyway. People don't take it seriously and it's harder for courts to convict women who rape men because the jury just won't believe it.

In the general populace, people will think that the man is too much of a "sissy" and that he deserves it or that he is overreacting. Well sadly a man that is subjected to rape and abuse by women isn't overreacting and isn't a "sissy."

It's just a double standard that exists within society due to gender roles and identity. Of course I feel like it should be changed and that people shouldn't think this way. Rape, is rape and abuse is abuse no matter who inflicts it. That's my two cents.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back