• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

aruupaa

Just an ordinary person
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2019
    Well I won't go for a long update this time because it is boring :D

Anyway, caught an Exeggcute (Ovum) with Headbutt which was taught to Flora the Jumpluff. While I was at Ectucreak, Leaf Stone girl called and I got a leaf stone :D Decided to let Luna the Gloom to learn Petal Dance, and evolve Ovum the Exeggcute instead. And got a Sun Stone from Bug Catching Contest but didn't evolve Sola the Gloom for the same reason. About everyone evolved before the fighting gym leader (expect the Gloom twins, of course). I was so lucky in this run that I even got an unneeded Thunder Stone :D I managed to get through story and get the last badge. Apparently the Waterfall only part of Mt Mortar is a paradise for grass types. Grinded before the League there. About to challenge the League now.

Team right now :
    Spoiler:

By the way, here is the screenshots from the Red version when I couldn't:
    Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    3rd Update, Water Challenge, Ruby:
    -set sail for Slateport in Briney's tiny boat
    -Made landfall on the shore near Slateport and fought my way up to town. Hoenn must be seriously messed up if 5 year olds are jumping you on the beach
    -Found a nice spot of sea in town to fish on. Pulled up a Tentacool on the first try (which was what I was hoping for). It has been dubbed Lord Jelly.
    -sailed all the way to Petalburg Woods so I could get the Exp.Share from Mr.Stone because Lord Jelly really needed that thing
    -went back to Slateport, then headed north to make my way to Mauville
    -stopped at the Trick House and cleared it; the Cut puzzle's easy
    -Arrived in Mauville City. lol, "city". It's as big as Oldale Town.
    -got the HM for Rock Smash and the Coin Case
    -Defeated Wally, who was blocking the door to the Gym. It's funny how he thinks he can take you on at this point in the game. Kid, I've been doing this since before you were born.
    -And then came the Gym, which was really easy because Marshtomp being part Ground is great. The gym was pretty much "Mudkipz used Mud Shot!" "The foe's [insert Pokemon here] fainted!" I'm starting to think that picking Water may have given me a bit of an advantage here in Ruby....
    -battled the trainers to the east of Mauville for Exp

Current Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Current Team:
    The Monotype Challenge
    Mudkipz
    The Monotype Challenge
    Trumpets
    The Monotype Challenge
    Lord Jelly

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Update on my Crystal Water Run.

Ran through the Kanto gym leaders rather easily, got to Red. And....Pikachu swept my team. This was predicted, as it was just a for science run, but it made one thing clearly evident. I need a Quagsire. So I caught one. Currently grinding it up to try to take another attempt at Red.

Spoiler:

Will update if I attempt Red tonight.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Red defeated! Crystal complete! 40 hyper potions and 10 revives later, with Feraligatr eating every one of Snorlax's body slams and snores, Red has fallen.

The Monotype Challenge

This is a screenshot of my team from right before Red, because I forgot to save, so this doesn't have the levels gained from the fight with Red, but nonetheless.

The Monotype Challenge

The level 81 Pikachu was taken down by the level 35 Quagsire. That is just satisfying to write lol. Venusaur came next and was dispatched slowly but surely by Starmie with Psychic, Giga Drain from it slowed down the process, so it took a few revives, but he eventually went down. In comes Espeon, Starmie soaks all of it's Psychics, and once its done, Surfs it to death. Snorlax gives me the hardest time, having to sit through 15 Body Slams and 15 Snores. Once he was done resting, Feraligatr just started going to town with Fury Cutter, Snorlax goes down. Blastoise comes in, and Feraligatr Fury Cuts him down to about 10% before dying. Starmie comes in and Psychics to kill it. Last, but not least, is Charizard. He provided a little more challenge than I thought he would, but that was more than likely just because of the extreme level difference. He went down from a few surfs from Starmie, and with that, it was over.

Starmie was DEFINATELY the MVP of this run once I got him, although I wouldn't have been able to take down Pikachu without Quagsire. Quagsire and Feraligatr share Second Star honors. Overall, a fun run.

With Randomized FireRed finished, and now Crystal, I move on to Randomized Emerald! The fun awaits! (I've also NEVER played a Gen 3 game before, so this will be an even more fun than normal experience.)

Last edited:

aruupaa

Just an ordinary person
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2019
    Finished Crystal Grass Run! Forgot to took picture of Red, though here is the proof he disappeared:
    The Monotype Challenge

And here is the last team:

Spoiler:

Decided to do Emerald and started it. Went harder than expected, blacked out twice now, once for Brawly and once for Electric Leader. Gonna battle Electric leader again now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    mmmmmkay... Update for my Poison Monotype X
    Sooo-- it took forever to get to the second gym (and get leveled up for it)
    I really have to admit i hate the pace that Pokemon X has for its "story" and especially all the slow reading for the battles --- it makes grinding even more annoying
    I don't remember which order this all went down (since it was basically all within the same route(s))
    I caught Oddish lvl 8, Croagunk lvl 14, Venipede lvl 10, Zubat lvl8 but i already had 4 pokemon so i boxed Oddish (after leveling him to 18....) (since i had 2 others with the exact type) and I boxed Beedrill because i know he gets kind of meh as the game goes on and his replacement type matchup has a way cooler movepool in the end portion of the game (venipede)
    Pokemon Lineup:

Spoiler:
    Gym Leader#2 battle log:
    Spoiler:

Whelp. I didn't get the badge this time So i need to go grind some more :/

Last edited:

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Forum User Name: Bewbs
    Pokémon Type: Poison
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game(s): Red

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    Alright... I think I don't need to grind more than the couple of levels I have because half my team evolved within 2 levels :)
    My Zubat is now a Golbat, Budew is now Roselia, and Venipede is now Whirlipede
    Which in Zubat's case almost doubled his stats overall making him quite a beast :) (didn't pay attention to the other's stat gains)
    Pokemon Lineup:
    Spoiler:
    Gym Leader Grant Battle Log
    Spoiler:

It wasn't really pretty but Roselia ended up making it all come together.
    Based on how much of a crap shoot this gym went i'm a little worried for the psychic gym and the snow gym, I'll have to start preparing some strats now while i'm working up to them.

Oh and i've ordered a new charger in the mail (expected to be here around the middle of September because i went uber cheap and bought one for $1.39 FREE SHIPPING - So i'll pick up my platinum and Blaze Black runs as soon as that comes in)

aruupaa

Just an ordinary person
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2019
    Emerald is not going well. Playing with grass types is so freaking hard in Gen 3!
    I have five badges now. Going to challenge the flying gym (I am weak.... again) Caught myself Mango the Tropius. Grinded him up to now and going to Fortree City. Here is the team:

Spoiler:

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Decided why not try a monotype for once, so I am doing an Emerald Grass run.

Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Picture Adventure:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Sam the Serious Grovyle
    Level 23
    ~ Miracle Seed ~
    Cut - Pursuit - Absorb - Screech

The Monotype Challenge

Paco the Relaxed Lombre
    Level 23
    ~ N/A ~
    Astonish - Absorb - Fake Out - Nature Power

The Monotype Challenge

Rocky the Hasty Breloom
    Level 23
    ~ Silk Scarf ~
    Headbutt - Mach Punch - Leech Seed - Stun Spore

The Monotype Challenge

Odd Bud the Lonely Gloom
    Level 21
    ~ N/A ~
    Absorb - Sweet Scent - Poison Powder - Sleep Powder​

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Announcement!

So, the first Poll was a bust because it came out to be an exact tie. I started a second poll, and now we have an answer! Via landslide victory 9-2, Exp Share is now allowed in Monotypes of all generations. I would ask that people refrain from abusing it, however, as it can lead to your team getting a little too far ahead if you're not careful. Turning it off periodically is highly recommended, although I really can't enforce something like that. Have fun playing your monotypes, everyone!

Raven Valt

Years
  • Update #2 of my Emerald Grass, Had to grind like crazy because Flannery kept kicking my ass.

Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Picture Adventure:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Sam the Serious Sceptile
    Level 36
    ~ Miracle Seed ~
    Cut - Rock Tomb - Leaf Blade - Screech

The Monotype Challenge

Paco the Relaxed Lombre
    Level 35
    ~ N/A ~
    Astonish - Rock Smash - Secret Power - Water Sport

The Monotype Challenge

Rocky the Hasty Breloom
    Level 35
    ~ Silk Scarf ~
    Headbutt - Mach Punch - Leech Seed - Bulk up

The Monotype Challenge

Odd Bud the Lonely Gloom
    Level 35
    ~ N/A ~
    Absorb - Acid - Moonlight - Sleep Powder​

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    Turns out the battery in my copy of Silver has died, so I'm going to change my Johto-game to Soulsilver.

Last edited:

Raven Valt

Years
  • Update #3 of my Emerald Grass, I now have a complete team and 6 gym badges :)

Badges:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Picture Adventure:
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge
    The Monotype Challenge

Team:
    The Monotype Challenge

Sam the Serious Sceptile
    Level 38
    ~ Miracle Seed ~
    Cut - Rock Tomb - Leaf Blade - Screech

The Monotype Challenge

Paco the Relaxed Lombre
    Level 39
    ~ Mystic Water ~
    Surf - Rock Smash - Secret Power - Ice Beam

The Monotype Challenge

Rocky the Hasty Breloom
    Level 37
    ~ Silk Scarf ~
    Headbutt - Sky Uppercut - Leech Seed - Bulk up

The Monotype Challenge

Odd Bud the Lonely Vileplume
    Level 38
    ~ Quick Claw ~
    Absorb - Sludge Bomb - Moonlight - Sleep Powder

The Monotype Challenge

Spike the Gentle Cacturne
    Level 38
    ~ BlackGlasses ~
    Faint Attack - Pin Missle - Growth - Leech Seed

The Monotype Challenge

Cabana the Rash Tropius
    Level 35
    ~ Exp.Share ~
    Fly - Stomp - Magical Leaf - Growth​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2024
    Update#3

I'm standing in front of the third gym leader (since i do a live battle log before each attempt) I've switched a few more pokemon out for new ones again (despite the fact i am getting annoyed with catching them up) I caught a Stunky (lvl21) and a Nidoran(boy) (lvl11) both on route 11. I think i'm nearing a complete set of coverage (as much as I can work with anyways)
    Pokemon Lineup:
    Spoiler:
    Live Record Gym Leader Battle log:
    Spoiler:

Crobat so far in every game for this Ulti Challenge has been worth every ounce of annoying training while he was still a zubat and usually caught at very low levels... In Fire Red I was very annoyed that my golbat wanted to evolve Upon evolving into golbat but i didn't have the national dex until after the challenge was over and that made it really annoying to use Golbat but he was still one of my better pokemon at the time.
    I'll probably have Gym 4 sometime today as well (we'll see)

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023
    Just started my Sapphire mono-fighting adventure! Here's a rundown:

- Chose Torchic as my starter
    - Beat May
    - Reached Petalburg City
    - Caught a Shroomish

My team so far:

Ken the Hasty Torchic Lv. 8
    Blaze
    - Scratch
    - Growl
    - Focus Energy

Steve the Bashful Shroomish Lv. 5
    Effect Spore
    - Absorb
    - Tackle

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    I think it's high time I start doing some of these. As a heads up, I'm planning to use a Steelix and Scizor, but as they evolve by trading I used the universal randomizer to make trade-evo's possible. I plan on getting one metal coat from Iron Island and the other one from using Thief on wild Magnemites (just to be sure that's alright before I start).
    Forum User Name: Buzz Buzz
    Pokémon Type: Steel
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game: Platinum

Blaki'

I wonder what's for dinner :3
    Years
  • Hey, it's been a while since I posted here ! So I decided to continue my Ultimate Normal Monotype Challenge :D

Forum User Name: Blaki'
    Pokémon Type: Normal
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Game: Leaf Green - Heartgold - Emerald - Platinum - White 2 - 6th gen will be done when I have a way to keep my savefile (shinies, lots of stuff)

Leaf Green was finished, here's the proof. I have a Blissey because of a Xmas event which allowed me to trade/hack in a pokemon of the right type in my team, and I decided to evolve my Chansey that way.

Now, Heartgold !

Log Book :
    Spoiler:

My Team :

The Monotype Challenge

Nazrin / Furret - Lvl 15 - Calm
    ~ Scratch
    ~ Defense Curl
    ~ Quick Attack
    ~ Fury Swipes

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2023