• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Motivation to Finish

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
  • Sometimes, though I've had it quite a few times now and then, I don't finish a Pokemon game. Sometimes I don't even make it halfway through, especially for games that I haven't touched in a long time, want to go back to, but end up just leaving it dangling there. How many of you have experienced this? Suddenly it feels that you don't feel there's any point in continuing the game, or you slowly lose interest till you forget about it altogether. For official games this has never happened on my first play through, but this often happens with ROM hacks and games which have been played through already. How many of you guys have experienced / are experiencing this? Discuss away! ^^

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • Maybe its solely because the replayability of Pokemon Games is mediocre for some. Even I struggle finishing something that Ive already finished before but I try to not overthink things to avoid not finishing a game. Sit down and enjoy the game is what I always say xD

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Pokemon is one of those games where the replayability is more about battling and doing post-game stuff like battle frontier and such. I don't like to restart a game because I feel like I lost so much effort in my save file and then become overwhelmed having to get everything again.

Years
  • Nope, this has never happened to me. I still enjoy every Pokémon and will never just drop one - I have every game and have completed them multiple times.

Maybe its solely because the replayability of Pokemon Games is mediocre for some.

...And this is why things like challenges exist :P Being hooked on them are what keeps me from not wanting to play them anymore.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • This happens to me sometimes in all kinds of different games. There are a couple that I have that I've never made it all the way through, because I'll get halfway, then get distracted and when I get back to it, I have no idea what's going on anymore. So then I restart it...and...well.

I've never had it happen my first time through on a Pokémon game, but I've had it happen when I'm playing through one for the millionth time. Playing with Pokémon that I've never really used much is one of the ways I keep it interesting. Challenges are good too, but I haven't done a lot of them.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Yeah, the replayability value is somewhat low. Despite the fact that challenges exists, I don't feel like continuing after a while unless I play with a friend to have that motivation to keep going, or else I feel that there's really no point in continuing after a while. It just bores me out, although this doesn't apply to all challenges or all the Pokemon games. It's just something that pops up every now and then.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Sometimes, though I've had it quite a few times now and then, I don't finish a Pokemon game. Sometimes I don't even make it halfway through, especially for games that I haven't touched in a long time, want to go back to, but end up just leaving it dangling there. How many of you have experienced this? Suddenly it feels that you don't feel there's any point in continuing the game, or you slowly lose interest till you forget about it altogether. For official games this has never happened on my first play through, but this often happens with ROM hacks and games which have been played through already. How many of you guys have experienced / are experiencing this? Discuss away! ^^

I feel this way, but mostly because I feel like the fun is gone. I enjoyed Pokémon back in the days when not everyone was friendly, and people didn't look like Barbie dolls. I feel like the originality is gone. I have replayed G/S/C so many times that when I was a kid I had three copies of each and I have re-played it again just for Pokémon Stadium 2. The attitude of the game and stuff is what makes it for me, not graphics or new Pokémon.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • I feel this way, but mostly because I feel like the fun is gone. I enjoyed Pokémon back in the days when not everyone was friendly, and people didn't look like Barbie dolls. I feel like the originality is gone. I have replayed G/S/C so many times that when I was a kid I had three copies of each and I have re-played it again just for Pokémon Stadium 2. The attitude of the game and stuff is what makes it for me, not graphics or new Pokémon.

Yes, that's why I turn to ROM hacks, some of them have a great storyline which is really what keeps me hooked and I'll eventually complete the game. Come to think of it, it's been quite a while since I've fully played through a Pokemon game.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I can't even begin to list how many games I have unfinished right now. I always get these urges to restart and usually make it halfway through the game when I'm really into it, then just suddenly drop it and forget about it. I have at least 2 games from each gen that I restarted in the past two or three years but haven't finished. :\

I've tried ROM hacks too and I was getting really into LiquidCrystal before my PSP decided that I didn't need any of my save files anymore and wiped them all clean. Never bothered to try again.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Things like this have happened to me in the past, but most of them weren't with Pokémon games.

Though, in terms of Pokémon, last time I wound up losing motivation to finish playing a game off this series was when running through Platinum for the first time. I've already got Diamond done a couple of times before, as well as Pearl, so going into the same story again soon after was sort of boring to me.

I stopped playing for a few weeks. When I started again, I sort of forgot what I last did, which killed all of my motivation to continue. Did finish Pokémon Platinum at some point, but that was months later.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I like to finish Pokemon games at least once, or at least until the Champion is defeated. Maybe I don't have to 100% a game, but it wouldn't really feel right if I abandoned a game altogether. If anything, I would just put it off to the side so I could come back to it later. Sometimes I abandon games, such as SoulSilver, once I have beat them a couple of times as some of them do get a bit boring after a couple of playthroughs.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • I like to finish Pokemon games at least once, or at least until the Champion is defeated. Maybe I don't have to 100% a game, but it wouldn't really feel right if I abandoned a game altogether. If anything, I would just put it off to the side so I could come back to it later. Sometimes I abandon games, such as SoulSilver, once I have beat them a couple of times as some of them do get a bit boring after a couple of playthroughs.

Yeah, it rally loses it's shine if you play it a few times in a short period of time, that's why I usually get games I love to site for a good while before coming back to them altogether.

That's where I differ. I can leave a game without any regrets at all, even though I'm not completely done with it or are halfway through. I have no qualms about reseting it and moving on to something new.

Years
  • While not terribly often, this is something that has happened to me with the games. One of the reasons why I've turned to things like Nuzlockes. Sometimes a little challenge is just enough of a push to make me want to keep playing.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • While not terribly often, this is something that has happened to me with the games. One of the reasons why I've turned to things like Nuzlockes. Sometimes a little challenge is just enough of a push to make me want to keep playing.

Yeah, while I'm a fan of other types of challenges, I don't like nuzlockes even though I've completed them for every game up to B2/W2. At least I have the satisfaction of trying it out and saying that I indeed did most of them, but nuzlockes make me even more likely to quit, because I'm a person who grows attached to their in game Pokemon fast, and losing them just dosen't give me that same motivation to keep playing till the end.

Years
  • Hmm. Well. I dont really know.

I am currently playing through a marathon, from Gen 1 to the newest gen, and I gotta say it wasn't the easiest thing. I hardly remember first and second gen (if I ever even played it, it'd be almost a decade ago), so that was easy, although I did run through the Crystal so I dont spoil Soulsilver too much. Firered was also not that hard to replay cos I played it a loong time ago. Emerald was a bit (just a bit!) frustrating. It is my favorite region, but I played sapphire, ruby and emerald on pc emulator SO MANY TIMES, I knew most of the story and places, plus there was Platinum I recently bought that was waiting for me, so I played it mostly for the sake of finishing the game getting a masterball and cloning the heck out of it was a motivation too lol.

As for the new games. Platinum was amazing, I went super slow with it and had no problem finishing it. I also probably would mind replaying it, the game was amazing.

Soulsilver is awesome, but a bit slow. I am playing it slowly and taking my time to enjoy the game fully. Also I am familiar with both regions and Pokemon, but it doesnt take away from the game. The only problem is the Team Rocket puzzle. Obviously main reason for this is that its a remake of Crystal. I love the story, Team Rocket, and entire Johto and Kanto region, but this part where you battle TR grunts in Radio tower and then in the underground is plain, 100 grunts with rattatas and zubats are just annoying. Not boring, dull, or offpissing, just annoying.
    Nevertheless, after this part I will certainly enjoy the rest of the game. Kanto and Johto with the new graphics are amazing.

Everything later is yet to be seen. I have Pokemon White ready and its going to be the first time I am playing a Gen 5 main series game :D

As for the other games.

I could replay Pokemon Ranger. The game is quick and awesome and really fun.
    Pokemon mystery dungeon....ugh. So Pokemon mystery dungeon, in my opinion, has by far the best story, but the idea of having to go there and grind all from the beginning is so repulsive. I could go through the story again EVERY SINGLE DAY, if it wasnt for that enormous amount of time you need just to grind your Pokemon and do all the trivial missions.

I will however get my hands on the PMDEO Sky and replay that. I really want all the extra stuff Darkness didn't have, plus Shaymin :D, I dont think it's be that of a hustle. :D

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Hmm. Well. I dont really know.

I am currently playing through a marathon, from Gen 1 to the newest gen, and I gotta say it wasn't the easiest thing. I hardly remember first and second gen (if I ever even played it, it'd be almost a decade ago), so that was easy, although I did run through the Crystal so I dont spoil Soulsilver too much. Firered was also not that hard to replay cos I played it a loong time ago. Emerald was a bit (just a bit!) frustrating. It is my favorite region, but I played sapphire, ruby and emerald on pc emulator SO MANY TIMES, I knew most of the story and places, plus there was Platinum I recently bought that was waiting for me, so I played it mostly for the sake of finishing the game getting a masterball and cloning the heck out of it was a motivation too lol.

As for the new games. Platinum was amazing, I went super slow with it and had no problem finishing it. I also probably would mind replaying it, the game was amazing.

Soulsilver is awesome, but a bit slow. I am playing it slowly and taking my time to enjoy the game fully. Also I am familiar with both regions and Pokemon, but it doesnt take away from the game. The only problem is the Team Rocket puzzle. Obviously main reason for this is that its a remake of Crystal. I love the story, Team Rocket, and entire Johto and Kanto region, but this part where you battle TR grunts in Radio tower and then in the underground is plain, 100 grunts with rattatas and zubats are just annoying. Not boring, dull, or offpissing, just annoying.
    Nevertheless, after this part I will certainly enjoy the rest of the game. Kanto and Johto with the new graphics are amazing.

Everything later is yet to be seen. I have Pokemon White ready and its going to be the first time I am playing a Gen 5 main series game :D

As for the other games.

I could replay Pokemon Ranger. The game is quick and awesome and really fun.
    Pokemon mystery dungeon....ugh. So Pokemon mystery dungeon, in my opinion, has by far the best story, but the idea of having to go there and grind all from the beginning is so repulsive. I could go through the story again EVERY SINGLE DAY, if it wasnt for that enormous amount of time you need just to grind your Pokemon and do all the trivial missions.

I will however get my hands on the PMDEO Sky and replay that. I really want all the extra stuff Darkness didn't have, plus Shaymin :D, I dont think it's be that of a hustle. :D

Wow, good luck with your marathon! I don't think I could even make it past the first gen if I tried my hardest, so the fact that you've come so far is an achievement in itself. How do you tell yourself to continue to keep playing? Dosen't it bore you after a while, not to mention the fact that you're playing them in succession? Pokemon, while being a wonderful franchise, isn't known for its creativity in terms of game mechanics and the like.

Years
  • All aboard the Every Version Train! Toot! Toot!
    Has been felt. This 'feels' led me to rebuy the odd older version.
    Have Black2, never reallyplay it.
    Have Soul Silver, never really play it.
    Have Y, play X instead.
    The others get played a few times a year, the darlings.

Years
  • Wow, good luck with your marathon! I don't think I could even make it past the first gen if I tried my hardest, so the fact that you've come so far is an achievement in itself. How do you tell yourself to continue to keep playing? Dosen't it bore you after a while, not to mention the fact that you're playing them in succession? Pokemon, while being a wonderful franchise, isn't known for its creativity in terms of game mechanics and the like.

Thanks!

Does it ever bore me? Absolutely not! lol
    I have waited for so long to finally get this started. It took me 6-12 months to get each game, I was always super excited. I mean, sure, the feeling of playing it now is not quite the same as it was when i first played my first Pokemon game (being Sapphire), but I am a Pokemon maniac ever since I was like 2, and the fact that I still stick to the franchise says enough.
    I can see where this "poor game mechanics" are coming from, but honestly, everything good aboput the games heavily overshadows all the bad stuff.
    Every now and then I get a bit tired of the games (by every now and then every 3-6 months) and I make a short pause (by short I really mean short, like a week at most)

But ofc, I am not replaying any off these games. Most games I included in the marathon I will be playing for the first time so yeah. I havent played half of the games there are :D

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Thanks!

Does it ever bore me? Absolutely not! lol
    I have waited for so long to finally get this started. It took me 6-12 months to get each game, I was always super excited. I mean, sure, the feeling of playing it now is not quite the same as it was when i first played my first Pokemon game (being Sapphire), but I am a Pokemon maniac ever since I was like 2, and the fact that I still stick to the franchise says enough.
    I can see where this "poor game mechanics" are coming from, but honestly, everything good aboput the games heavily overshadows all the bad stuff.
    Every now and then I get a bit tired of the games (by every now and then every 3-6 months) and I make a short pause (by short I really mean short, like a week at most)

But ofc, I am not replaying any off these games. Most games I included in the marathon I will be playing for the first time so yeah. I havent played half of the games there are :D

It's not about "poor" game mechanics. It's just the fact that the game mechanics and general storyline of each generation and game don't differ widely, so when you strip it down, it's technically more or less the same skeleton, so I can imagine there'll be some sort of repetition going on that would affect the gameplay experience, because as you've said you're playing them in succession. It's cool that you're able to play them one after another, props to you! ^^

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Several times I have work to do studies and other challenges in pokemon I go back and hit start and I got an old game on there. I rather go on a zuzlocke or something like the red paper clip challenge instead of play through the story again although I like to go back and challenge myself with the old games

Back