• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The New Games - What does this mean to the Metagame?

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    New Items aren't entirely out of the question. They added that Girtiana, however you spell it orb. And you can't trade that.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I really only see new/reintro'd items, moveset changes, and possibly new forms. For items, I'm supporting Fame Checker, Slowpoke Tails, and the return of the RageCandyBar! I think maybe maybe maybe Celebi could get a more Sp.Att-centric form, but other than that, what is really there?

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • I really doubt there will be any change in the metagame, as there really wasn't with FR or LG (If you guys can remember that far back. xD).

And I suppose the ability to catch said Pokemon easier will only matter in the trade section, as Pokemon availability doesn't really have an impact or our metagame much at all.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Catchable Ho-oh, Lugia In-Game:

Once again, similar to Celebi. Although you could catch both in Fire Red and Leaf Green, this just gives another chance to those who couldn't obtain the event items, not to mention possible new movesets.

Catchable Dogs In-Game:

Now THIS has got to be something to hope for. In Fire Red and Leaf Green, there was a 'glitch', where each Dog had a minimum of 4 IV's equal to 0. This meant competitive Dogs weren't obtainable in this way. Maybe we can finally see a decent HP Ice Raikou :O
    I'm pretty sure these two will already be in-game, because it was in the original Gold/Silver.

Years
  • I don't think the compatibility thing is much of an issue...let's not forget that they added plenty of new moves (along with new Pokémon) in the original GS, and then just restricted trade with the original RBY. They could easily add new moves, Pokémon, or items and just restrict them from being traded to DPPt.

Of the three, I think new items are most likely, and I really don't think they'll add any new Pokémon. As I recall, however, didn't they add the three starter-exclusive moves to FRLG (Hydro Cannon, Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant)? I don't think those were in R/S, so I do think there's a possibility that they might add a few new moves. If they do add new moves, though, I doubt it will be very many.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I don't think the compatibility thing is much of an issue...let's not forget that they added plenty of new moves (along with new Pokémon) in the original GS, and then just restricted trade with the original RBY. They could easily add new moves, Pokémon, or items and just restrict them from being traded to DPPt.

Of the three, I think new items are most likely, and I really don't think they'll add any new Pokémon. As I recall, however, didn't they add the three starter-exclusive moves to FRLG (Hydro Cannon, Blast Burn, Frenzy Plant)? I don't think those were in R/S, so I do think there's a possibility that they might add a few new moves. If they do add new moves, though, I doubt it will be very many.

Those moves were in Ruby and Sapphire. I had a Mew with Metronome, and those 3 odd moves kept on appearing, yet none of my Pokemon could learn them. I was puzzled, but realized what had happened once I saw them being tutored at Cape Brink in FR/LG. :)

I might be wrong putting it here, but I doubt it should go in S&M. Basically, this thread is to discuss what effect the new games will have on the Competitive Metagame. Here's some things we could discuss.

Catchable Celebi In-Game:

This would be great. Finally we can start SR'ing for better Celebi, who let's face it, isn't exactly easy to obtain, let alone obtain a competitive one.

This would be awesome, as not everyone who plays Pokemon has constant Wi-Fi accessible. Furthermore, all these "events" just get tiresome. Who is going to go from the West Coast all the way to New York/wherever events are held just to get a few bits of data represented by pixels that can get lost VERY EASILY? (No offense to any Pokemon, Pokemon games, Nintendo, or anyone else affiliated with the games)
    P.S. Nice plot involving the GS Ball would be good to resolve later on in the story!

Once again, similar to Celebi. Although you could catch both in Fire Red and Leaf Green, this just gives another chance to those who couldn't obtain the event items, not to mention possible new movesets.

Again, awesome if Nintendo did this (which I'm thinking they will, unless they do mascot exclusivity again... :(). Getting set up just to transfer Lugia or Ho-Oh from the GameCube games is just a hassle; this way will be MUCH easier in HG/SS :)

Catchable Dogs In-Game:

Now THIS has got to be something to hope for. In Fire Red and Leaf Green, there was a 'glitch', where each Dog had a minimum of 4 IV's equal to 0. This meant competitive Dogs weren't obtainable in this way. Maybe we can finally see a decent HP Ice Raikou :O

THERE WAS A GLITCH??! NO WAI! Anyway, probably one of the things I'm waiting for the most in HG/SS! Not many people know what it's like to restart FireRed and complete the game multiple times just to be able to trade the Dogs to an Emerald cartridge. *shudders*
    But seriously, even though the Dogs would be roamers, at least all of them are in-game at once! Too bad we can't Synchronize them. Oh well, I'll just keep SRing and save right before the game determines the stats and such (i.e., when you fix the "Network Machine?" on One Island in FR/LG, the Dog's info is set right after the machine is fixed, so you could save right before that point to repeat the calculation as needed.) No wonder my Dogs' IVs were horrible when I talked to the IV Man in Emerald... :\

Move Accuracy / Effects:

Will Accuracy of some moves change? Will effects be added for that little twist? With the release of Platinum we saw a decrease in the accuracy of Hypnosis, perhaps the producers believed it was too powerful? What other moves can we expect a similar fate to be placed upon?

Hmm...maybe. I'm hoping Hypnosis gets bumped up again between 75-80 accuracy. Maybe a decrease in Power Whip's power...? (Sorry, I do NOT want Power Whip to be the physical 120 Pwr/85 Accuracy Fire Blast "variant" that only few Pokemon can learn in the first place. :cer_pissed:

New Items:

We've also seen new items introduced with every new game to date. Can we expect more choice items? Berries? Will there be 'Orbs' similar to the Lustrous and Platinum Orbs of Palkia and Giratina?

Though it used to bug me that the way Giratina Origin Forme was made exclusive to Platinum was so blatant (Griseous Orb can't be traded to DP), I'm OK with it now. It would be awesome if Lugia and Ho-Oh each got exclusive items as well; maybe Rainbow Wing powers up Ho-Oh and Silver Wing powers up Lugia, aside from their use as "entry passes"? Even though I'm only getting one version of either HG or SS, I'd like such effects to be version dependent (i.e., Silver Wing only powers up Lugia in SoulSilver). :)
    I hope Berserk Gene and RageCandyBar make return appearances, though they should be restricted from DPPt due to possible programming issues! I really want to see if any Apricorn Balls are present this go-round, since they look like an interesting concept for extra Poke Balls! :D

New Forms of Pokemon:

We saw with the release of Platinum, Rotom gained some new forms to tangle with. Could this be the case again? Would any of these forms actually be competitive? Which pokemon do you believe should gain new forms?

Completely new forms can be saved for Generation 5. If there are any new forms, it could be regional differences (Arbok, Mantyke, Shellos/Gastrodon, Cherrim?) Any other forms would probably ruin the spirit of GSC Pokemon, I think.

New Pokemon:

Now this is REALLY unlikely. I'm posting this here just because there's a possibility, but don't expect it.

Borderline impossible, I guess. But just because Nintendo's followed a set pattern of revealing Generational Pokemon doesn't mean that the precedent pattern can't be broken. They could give us a "sneak-peek" Pokemon of Gen. 5 Pokemon that can't be traded to DPPt, since Gen. 4 is almost over with the 3 main games being released and the remakes coming at an opportune time)
    :)

Metagame **
    It's probably going to remain the same, unless there are drastic changes in egg moves, what moves certain Pokemon can learn, and which moves are available to tutors to teach Pokemon. (Sky Attacking Rayquaza in HG/SS FTW; I know it's not really useful for competitive Pokemon, but still!) :P
    Also, availability plays a very slight role in the metagame. Though Lugia and Ho-Oh can be useful in Ubers' battles, if the only way we could get them is the tedious GCN-GBA transfer, as well as playing through all the games needed, some people might not obtain them due to frustration or sheer difficulty of the daunting task. Thus, Lugia and Ho-Oh would be Pokemon you'd be less likely to see in battles.

~T_S

Last edited:

FalconJoker

Joking with the Devil
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    Catchable Celebi In-Game:

This would be great. Finally we can start SR'ing for better Celebi, who let's face it, isn't exactly easy to obtain, let alone obtain a competitive one.

Never play with or cared for Celebi so I can't really comment on that...

Once again, I don't play with either, though I have contemplated a Ho-oh.

Catchable Dogs In-Game:

This is something I'll be looking forward to. I love using Raikou currently.

Move Accuracy / Effects:

Will Accuracy of some moves change? Will effects be added for that little twist? With the release of Platinum we saw a decrease in the accuracy of Hypnosis, perhaps the producers believed it was too powerful? What other moves can we expect a similar fate to be placed upon?

Willing to bet spore gets an accuracy decrease. I've always felt sleeping should never be 100% accurate, but that's just me.

New Items:

We've also seen new items introduced with every new game to date. Can we expect more choice items? Berries? Will there be 'Orbs' similar to the Lustrous and Platinum Orbs of Palkia and Giratina?

I'd like to see more items that allow lower leveled Pokemon have a chance to compete at a higher level like you see in the show. IE. The Light Ball for Pikachu. Thick club for Cubone and Marowak. DeepSeaTooth for Clamperl, etc.

New Forms of Pokemon:

We saw with the release of Platinum, Rotom gained some new forms to tangle with. Could this be the case again? Would any of these forms actually be competitive? Which pokemon do you believe should gain new forms?

I'd like to see Rotom get the full spectrum. Dark/Ghost, Water/Ghost, Fighting/Ghost (a first?!) etc. Highly unlikely though.

New Pokemon:

Now this is REALLY unlikely. I'm posting this here just because there's a possibility, but don't expect it.

Wouldn't mind seeing a surprise 'new' Pokemon. Maybe an evolution chain or pre-evolution of a couple Pokemon (might be just me, but I've always wanted to be able to use the baby Kangaskhan :P). Though sadly, I do admit again this is probably highly unlikely.

Last edited:

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    If they had to introduce any items for the competitive battling field, then I would say new berries, or perhaps new stat boosting items.

d[-_-]b

HAH! You better have BURN HEAL
    Years
  • has to be a wifi celebii gs ball has to be there and get wifi stuff from a poke communication center

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    The only difference I'm looking foward to is hopefully being allowed to use the new Rotom Formes through WiFi battles with the GSDS games, seeing as it couldn't be done with DP vs. Pt.

Ashitaka

Spirit of Snorlax
    Years
  • Maybe they'll give the US some kind of cell phone promotion to get Celebi? LOL probably not, but they could, now pretty much everyone in the country has a cell phone.

I'm hoping they tweak a few moves. They force you to teach people Cut and Fly to play the game, it's time to make them 100% ACC, I mean really, come on. Defog is terrible, I hope to never see it again, and Rock Smash is weak as heck. They either need to make these TM moves good, or finally make you able to forget HM moves; really, it's time, there's no reason not to be able to forget HM moves, it's just silly and makes things harder and more frustrating, especially since the move deleter is in Blackthorn for goodness sake.

Years
  • How do you think Heart Gold and Soul Silver will affect competitive battling

How do you think reviving Gold and Silver will effect competitive battling. The new gold and silver games will
    bring back some forgotten pokes or maybe push some even
    further in eyes of competitive trainers what do you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

userpr

Quilava Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    If anything we might see some pokemon with decent stats getting slightly better movepools to make them more usable, that's probably all, so if anything we might start seeing more variety in the kinds of teams we see out there(mainly in terms of what pokemon are used). I could be wrong though.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • *affect, not effect.
    I digress...

I don't think it will change it much at all. Almost every Pokémon is available right now, including all of those that were conventionally available in G/S/C, do I don't think the tiers or movesets or anything else will be changed a ton. The only thing I think will change competitive battling is if some Pokémon get new evolutions.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    More people will be sporting Celebi, Ho oh, Lugia and the trio.

Back