• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

nguyende

Student
    Years
    the only shinies i've randomly encountered have been Krabby, Poochyena, and Rayquaza. in the case with Krabby, however, i did not have any Pokéballs stocked :\

and here is my petit list of shinies:

Mightyena (migrated from Emerald)
    Rayquaza (migrated from Emerald)
    Voltorb (GTS)
    Spinda (GTS)

Mightyena (Poochyena at the time) i'd encountered towards the beginning of my game, and and was an easy catch. Rayquaza i'd caught by throwing my Masterball, and now i'm having difficulties catching Lati :P

i've tried SR'ing for shinies, but i always end up quitting before coming across any. i have not yet tried my hand at chain'ing though. it sounds interesting, and perhaps i'll have better luck with it :laugh:

michele

☮ & ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    ....is there an actual POINT of shiny pokemon, other than them being shiny? :\

Spinni

Larvitar #1
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Canada
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I got a Shiny Drifloon in Diamond, but it was on this thing I have called a FireCard (sort of an R4 ripoff) and it deleted my data with the shiny Drifloon in it :'(

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Something I don't like about shinies is that the majority of Pokémon is either Pink or purple as a shiny. Pink is one of my least fav colours ...(Thats why I am so glas that I have my shiny zubat as that is green ^^)
    But shiny Crobat is pink :P
    I want a timid nature so I have my Timid synch Kadabra in the lead...but I heard synch doesn't always work when you are trying to SR a shiny legendary?
    It does work. But Synchronize only has a 50% chance of working, so you still have to be quite lucky.
    ....is there an actual POINT of shiny pokemon, other than them being shiny? :\
    You can trade them for stuff?
    I got a Shiny Drifloon in Diamond, but it was on this thing I have called a FireCard (sort of an R4 ripoff) and it deleted my data with the shiny Drifloon in it :'(
    Stop being a ripoff, and get a real game card.

Danielle The Great

Why be smooth?
    Years
    • MA
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    I hereby post in this thread.

*shot*

Anyways, here's how I got my shinies:

Weavile:
    *inhales*
    First, I was in the car, with my dad driving me to the supermarket. I was playing Pokemon Diamond on the way, and I haven't played since the Diamond Dust in January 2008. So I head west of Snowpoint City and go in the wild grass. I was walking around and wanted to catch Uxie, but on the way, I was like "Oh God a wild Pokemon. -_-" But then, it was a Sneasel. And I realized...
    IT WAS PINK WITH YELLOW FEATHERS. AND IT SPARKLED. SHINY OH
    I cried out in joy, and my dad's like "...what?" But I got distracted and didn't answer. I sent out Darkrai and used Dark Void, then chucked many Ultra Balls at it, and eventually it caught. I saved the game without immediately.
    Then, I posted a picture on my dA of my new Shiny Sneasel, and someone said they would trade me a Razor Claw for anything, so obviously I accepted, and she was nice enough to give me a shiny Oddish as well. Except it was cheated OH WELL. So I hung out with my friend, and we traded it and back, and that's how I got my shiny Weavile. *hugs*

Graveler:
    Okay, I was playing my Japanese version of Platinum and I encountered a Shiny Graveler. I thought my AR was in at first. I nearly ran away, then I realized my AR wasn't in (I lost it anyways). So I squealed again and chucked Ultra balls at it and it caught. Then I traded it and back and blah blah blah.

Zigzagzoon:
    Trade. End of story.

Lukum

MASTER OMEGA
    Years
    I have shiny Gayrados in crystal but its a set pokemon so not a big deal, a shiny magby in crystal w/ a 50/50 chance of geting 1, shiny marill in crystal w/ reg. odds, and a raticate in FR w/ reg odds! I HAVE 4!!!

oh and i have a shiny latias and registeel in cards!

Last edited:

-Lewis

Blaze
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2009
    Just got my first ever shiny :D
    It's an ugly drowzee though :( I'm gonna evolve it into Hypno.

ultimatediamond

Aura Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    ok
    iv been chaining for about 3 days now and have gotten a grand total of 11 shinies with the poke radar
    iv figured it out
    for anyone who has problems or difficulty with the pkeradar, im sure this will help you
    theres a rule that you arent supposed to go to any patch that appears on the edge of the grass area
    well, by chance i noticed that after roughly your 5th chain, going to any patch in a group that has any squares on the outside will end your chain
    it might mean a bit more resetting, but your chain wont break
    i got to 47 chaining cubones (and got two) and only stopped cos i was tired
    tell this to anyone you know with problems and im sure itll help

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Yes, the odds are better to hatch a shiny in DPPT (as compared to R/S and FR/LG), provided that you know what you are doing.

There are two ways to shiny breed.

Masuda Method: The game's producer encouraged using the GTS to collect foreign Pokemon, so this quirk is featured in DPPt. If you breed an international Pokemon with a native Pokemon, you have approximately a 1/2000 chance of producing a shiny Pokemon. For example, breed a Japanese Pokemon with an English one.

RNG Method: This is a very complex method based on abusing the Random Number Generator aka game's coding. There is an article on Smogon detailing the procedure. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
    Years
    My one and only PokeRadar shiny was a Baltoy. One day, I decide to chain in the route underneath Cycling Road. After about 5 wild Baltoys defeated, I see a shiny patch. I use an Ultra Ball, and save right away. It's probably the luckiest thing that has ever happened to me in my game :P

Pani

H e a r t G o l d ♥
    Years
    The only shiny I ever encountered was an Onyx. It was brown and I didn't really understand how rare shinies were to randomly come across, so I let it go.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014
    I have a shiny Milotic from an event, as well as 1-2 others that I need to migrate from my Ruby Version

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    I think about 2 nights ago I chained for shiny eevees and got 3 of them. I turned two of them into jolteons to see who would fair better, I obviously picked the one with hp grass. He shall be a huge help. I don't really know what to do with the other one.....I guess i'll let her sit in the pc box for now. as for the other shiny eevee he is an adamant male so that's kinda cool.

Myu2

Trainer: Foxx
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    I have 4 shinies.

Skarmory - PokeRadar (only a 4 chain!)
    Pidgey - Random battle
    Moltres and Gengar(was a Haunter) - Both unprovoked in the GTS. I deposited 2 pokemon expecting 2 normal ones back and got shinies! Who else has this happened to?

I'm currently hatching Charmander eggs via Masuda Method, I simply MUST have a shiny Charizard

Tyros

Professor Walnut: Shiny Expert
    Years
    I just one-shot a Bagon chain all the way up to 40. :3 I'd already done Bagon before, but this time, I needed to Synchronize some Jolly or Adamant ones for a client in my shop, so I have those Syncers with me. I love one-shotting chains. 8D Tonight, I'll be resetting for additional shinies, as the 40th one was a shiny. <3 They're so nifty when shiny.

- Tyros

Years
    Well my first ever was a purple Drowzee in Silver (Still have it on an old cartridge somewhere)

Recently I've go a yellow/brownish Machop, green Tentacool & a blue Nidoran (Male) All random encounters from FireRed transfered to Pearl

Back