• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Amby332

Resident of Lilycove City
    Years
    Wow you guys have tons of shinies! I have a shiny ninetales on my sapphire and a shiny nidoking on gold, but none on diamond. Although I did almost get a shiny sudowoodo but ran out of balls...

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2011
    I may be pretty bad at chaining, but I'm getting better. Recently, I got my longest chain thus far. It was chain of Chansey that I got to 39. I'll have to try again, oh well.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Will the Shiny Pichu given out at the movie be any more powerful stat wise and moveset wise than a standard Pichu? What about when it evolves into Raichu?.
    Shinies are no stronger than normal Pokemon. However, I believe that the event Pichu has special moves, such as Pain Split, which are unobtainable with normal Pichu. It will just be a Shiny Raichu when it evolves. It's a Japanese event.

Ack, I do occasionaly stalk this thread, but I haven't been "shiny hunting" in a while.. Recently, I have RNG abused a shiny Gligar and Finneon.. I'm too lazy to take pictures. Anyways, congrats on the new captures and good luck on the hunts.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2011
    I haven't actually started chaining in Platinum yet, but my longest chain is 65, when I was chaining Sentret in Diamond. And I got 5 shiny Sentret doing that. But I have caught 10 random shinies in Platinum. Which is very unlikely but good for me, especially as some of them have decent natures and decent IVs.

pokemonfreak47

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    Chaining Shinies

I have never really got the hang of chaining...my highest is 29.... oh and i've never caught a shiny...ever....

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I really randomly found a shiny magneton while training on the route west of sunyshore on platinum. I got so excited i threw my master ball at it

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    When ever I chain I dont get any luck.
    I chained to 40 and was resetting for a shiny.But the chained broked and I stoped chaining since its hard Dx

michele

☮ & ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    i don't understand the whole "chaining" thing and whatnot, so i have not caught a shiny yet. but i don't really care if i ever do catch one or not.

Years
    I have a total of four shines currently, but I didn't catch any of them. Three a friend gave me (Electrike[Evolved into Manectrike] Bronzor[ Evolved into Bronzong], Ponyta[ Evolved into rapidash]. And an Ev'd Weaville from a trade.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2009
    i hav 12 shiny pokemon (without cheats, glitches or hacking)

luxray
    tyranitar
    onix
    groudon (originally from emerald save infront of groudon the keep turning off and on till it goes shiny did that alot but it payed off)
    swellow
    dustox
    slowbro
    pinisir
    golduck
    alakazam
    solrock
    yanmega

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    Ponyta[ Evolved into rapidash].

Gah, I've been trying to get a shiny Ponyta. Shiny Rapidash looks so kewl! :3

I have a shiny Gyarados, shiny Turtwig, shiny Shinx, and a shiny Floatzel. The first three I trade different shinies for, and got Floatzel as a Buizel in a chain.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 29, 2009
    hey all, i dont come by this forum that often but i had to share my recent success with chaining.
    if anyone has any doubts, forget it. coz chaining really does work.

---==: USEFUL INFORMATION!!:==--

ur odds of running into a shiny at a chain of 40 is like 1/200. (most of us should know this already)
    i found that the average amount of Max Repels you go through when charging for a shiny (after youv reached a chain of 40)
    is approximately 30 Max Repels. (worth of charging ur radar and using it)

but dont get me wrong, 2 kadabra's i caught in a range of 2 mins (1 max repel). thats luck though

======================================================
    ive caught 9 shinies all up.

1 Shiny Pikachu (pokemon mansion) - Chained 4.
    (i was really lucky with this one but i had been chaining for a whole day reaching about 20 and then breaking and trying over and over again)

1 Shiny Scyther (Route 215) - Chained 40.
    (after about 1 day of chaining i finally got a chain of 40 scyther.) i charged my pokeradar and used it for about 15 more minutes and i ran into my shiny scyther.
    only to break my chain while trying to charge my pokeradar to catch more. :(

I went on to try chain Tauros (i like the shiny coloured tauros, looks funky).
    had no luck (chain kept breaking early) so i moved on to Abra. So i spent about half a day on Tauros and half a day on Abra.
    no luck with Abra either (chain kept breaking early).

then i thought, ill chain Kadabra. I HIT THE JACKPOT

my first Kadabra chain reached 40 (AND IT STILL HASNT BROKEN ( its now 47), my ds is on charge right next to me in sleep mode).
    after i got to a chain of 40 i stopped chaining and started ONLY using the pokeradar to find the right grass patch.

and ive caught 7 shiny Kadabra's since then.
    (over a period of about 2 hours after reaching a chain of 40)

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
    Sadly, the only shiny I´ve caught is a shiny Shinx however, I got a shiny Mightyena, a shiny Nidoking that I accidentally deleted and a shiny Latios from trades.

Lunatone

The Meteorite Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2009
    I've only come across two shinies, and I've been playing since Red/Blue! And they were both encountered (and caught!) on Pearl. Shiny Meditite and Shiny Wingull, neither of which I'm very fond of. I more than anything would love a shiny Dragon or Water type. Those are my favorites. ;D Although Arbok and Seviper have a special place in my heart too. And of course Lunatone. (And Suicune, easily the best Legendary.)

Leyt

Absolution
    Years
    Just obtained my first shiny ever in Pearl; a Machoke. I was training at the Victory Road entrance for the Elite Four, and I saw this guy pop up. I was in moderate disbelief at this occurrence, as I never had even seen a shiny in-game.

Catleia

That British girl. Yeah, her.
    Years
    I've played Pokemon games for about 10 or so years now and I've only ever seen one shiny. It was in Emerald and I had a Pokemon with False Swipe and loads of Ultra Balls when suddenly, walking around in the dark...
    It was a Shiny Vileplume.
    :D
    It was in Battle Pyramid.
    D:
    Couldn't catch it in Battle Pyramid and reluctantly had to run away. It haunts me to this day.

Back