• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

kaminer4545

SHAYMIN LOVER
Years
  • i only have one shiny, its a shiny mew, this 10 year old wanted to trade his shiny mew for my mr. mime, and i was like, "heck yeah, ill give you 50 of them"

Years
  • So I'm trying to RNG abuse a shiny just to see how this method works out. I'm using a friend's game because they want to learn about the method.

I'm following the Smogon guide down to the letter and I'm using a Hoenn-migrated Metagross and a japanese Ditto. I'm positive the the ID and SID are entered into RNG Reporter correctly, but I still don't get a shiny.

Is there any chance that the fact that the pokemon is migrated could adversely affect whether RNG abuse will work? I've also read that you have to flip the coin toss app 10 times prior to starting in order to "clear the seed". I don't know about that.

Help?

CrasH

Beasterling
    Years
  • I caught a shiny pink pacharisu! :)
    and I traded for a shiny bulbasaur.

I also came across a shiny starly but failed to catch it :(

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2009
    Pokemon becomes un-shiny?

Hey there guys... I'm a long-time shiny-lover, first-time poster.... I have a problem. I used the Masuda Method to hatch a Shiny Piplup, and then reset the game so I could transfer the egg to my Japanese Platinum version. When I did that, and the egg hatched there, the initial "Congratulations!" sprite showed a shiny Piplup, but when I went to look at the sprite, it was normal-coloured. I can't find anything like this happening and it concerns me greatly.

If this is not the proper place to post, please point me in the right direction ^^; I'm just very distraught.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • Hey there guys... I'm a long-time shiny-lover, first-time poster.... I have a problem. I used the Masuda Method to hatch a Shiny Piplup, and then reset the game so I could transfer the egg to my Japanese Platinum version. When I did that, and the egg hatched there, the initial "Congratulations!" sprite showed a shiny Piplup, but when I went to look at the sprite, it was normal-coloured. I can't find anything like this happening and it concerns me greatly.

If this is not the proper place to post, please point me in the right direction ^^; I'm just very distraught.

Well were you looking at the actual sprite, or the pokedex sprite? Because the pokedex one is just the regular sprite always, except I think when you first get a new entry with a shiny, which shows it as a shiny on there until you look at it again.

Sorry if this doesn't help, it's just the only thing I can think of. Also does it have that red star thing next to it's picture?

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2009
    I definitely looked at the actual Pokemon, not the 'dex. I've been playing since the 90s and this is the first time I've encountered this problem...

I have a video up on Youtube if you search "shiny pokemon becomes normal" but I'm new so I can't post a link yet.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Hey there guys... I'm a long-time shiny-lover, first-time poster.... I have a problem. I used the Masuda Method to hatch a Shiny Piplup, and then reset the game so I could transfer the egg to my Japanese Platinum version. When I did that, and the egg hatched there, the initial "Congratulations!" sprite showed a shiny Piplup, but when I went to look at the sprite, it was normal-coloured. I can't find anything like this happening and it concerns me greatly.

Shininess is mostly determined by your Trainer ID and your Secret ID (hidden value). These two numbers are unique to each cartridge.

If you hatch a shiny in one game, but trade it to another game, it will not be shiny anymore because the TID and SID are different.

In summary, you'll have to hatch Piplup in the game where you bred it, or else it will not hatch shiny.

Hope that helps.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2009
    Shininess is mostly determined by your Trainer ID and your Secret ID (hidden value). These two numbers are unique to each cartridge.

If you hatch a shiny in one game, but trade it to another game, it will not be shiny anymore because the TID and SID are different.

In summary, you'll have to hatch Piplup in the game where you bred it, or else it will not hatch shiny.

Hope that helps.

O^O;; I feared as much... so it will still appear shiny when it hatches? That's so... poopy. I have little use for a shiny Piplup in my other game... this is very troublesome. ^^;

Oh well. Thank you both for your help. I guess even old pros learn something new every day! Have a nice Thanksgiving, hope you liked the Pikachu float~ :D

Alpha Eevee
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2009
    Shinies obtained throught he RNG method are definitely legit.
    The RNG method is simply just exploiting the predictability of the games RNG and a players ability to manipulate that knowledge to their advantage.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • I keep hearing about this RNG method, and I still don't know what RNG means......

Anyone want to clear this up for me?

Thanks for the article GengarNightmare, I think i'll stick to the Masuka method though, less maths XD

Last edited:
    Years
  • I keep hearing about this RNG method, and I still don't know what RNG means......

Anyone want to clear this up for me?
    RNG = "Random Number Generator"

The RNG generates the stats of wild pokemon (or hatched pokemon, gift pokes, ect.). So "RNG Abuse" simply means toying with the RNG to get the pokemon you want, essentially making it not random. I'd explain it further, but I've never actually done it myself; I just know the basics.

But, here's a lengthy guide on RNG abuse. It's one of those things you kinda have to read up on to fully understand.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52180

Alpha Eevee
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2009
    nice. i've only manage to chain 26 shinx.
    i always end up running into some other pokemon. D:

edit:
    I was just reading back through this thread and noticed this-

Another question, once you get up to 40 and reset the radar, when you walk into a shiny patch is it possible to continue a chain of shinies and catch multiple ones of the same poke?

It's possible to continue the chain after catching a shiny; I've heard of someone catching over 100 shinies in the same chain :O

As far as continuing a chain after catching a shiny, yes you can.
    BUT
    it doesn't mean that every time you use the pokeradar a shiny will appear.
    Getting your chain up to 40 only raises the chance of finding a shiny. It doesn't guarantee that you will find one.
    I've got chains above 60 without finding a shiny. and after finding a shiny, have continued a chain for another 20 pokemon without finding another shiny.
    So, being able to do so, doesnt mean that its easy after finding your first.

As far as Wichu's statement...
    That is just ridiculous.

To clear things up,
    Getting your chain up to 40 only increases your chances of finding a shiny from 1 in 8192 (or .0001220703125%) to 1 in 50 (or 2%).
    It doesn't increase anymore after that point.

So, to get your chain to that point, you need to use at least 40 attacks. assuming you can OHKO the pokemon you are chaining every time with every attack your pokemon has. to chain 100 shinies, statistically you would need to encounter 5040 pokemon.
    I dont see anyone having enough PP to KO 4940 other pokemon or pokeballs and desire to catch the ones they cant KO. Thats also assuming that their own pokemon arent KO'd in the process.

Of course, resetting the pokeradar is possible until you find a shiny every time after 40, it would take an incredibly long time and a lot of repels and very unlikely.

[/RANT]

Last edited:

Nincada

Please be kind.
    Years
  • I'm dying to get my hands on a shiny metagross.

Currently I am using a shiny milotic and nincada on my team, and have a shiny relicanth and shedinja is my pc.

Back