• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I'm trying to get into chaining pokemon to catch shiny pokemon, but my problem is that my chain keeps breaking after I've gotten to a halfway point towards the goal of 40. Are there any tips I'm missing, or anything that could help me to keep the chain going? The highest chain I've managed to get is 29, and underneath that 25.

Using the masuda method, I've gotten a growlithe and that's it. I tried for a dratini, but I gave up after about 4 and a half boxes full of dratini. >.< Other than that, I've gotten a few shiny pokemon from trades, but my favorite is Squirtle (who I've yet to train), Porygon and of course Growlithe.

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Has anyone soft resetted in diamond to get a shiny turtwig? If you have how long did it take you to get it shiny?

Years
  • I have a couple of questions about shineys and if you could answer them, please vm or pm the answers. Thanks.

Say you want a shiney dialga... Once you get to the tower thing and meet dialga and battle it, could you turn off the game and then turn it back on and it clould be a shiney?

Same thing as the first question, but what about starters?

Could someone give me a NON confusing explanation of chaining?

Thank you

Unionhack

Yes Indeed
    Years
  • For chaining, it's extremely hard to explain. You'd need a detailed guide.

For the Dialga question, yes. It's possible to save before fighting it and then keep fighting until it's shiny. It will take an extremely long time and you'll need a lot of patience, but yes, it's possible. Same thing with the starters.

shot571

I now have two shiny pokemon. One being a Bidoof and the other ........ a bidoof >_>.

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    I just caught a Shiny Tentacruel! Mood: Excited

Level: 26
    Plot: When I was surfing on Route 220, I was surprised to see a shiny Tentacruel. So I got out my level 32 Shelgon, used headbutt twice, and caught it with an Ultra ball!
    What I will do with it: Train it to replace a different Tentacruel on a team.

I also, I have an event Pichu, and another shiny Pichu from trade.

Last edited:

Josep93

Pokemon Novice
    Years
  • My worst occasion was when I encountered a shiny Zigzagoon (lvl. 5), but I didn't stock up on pokeballs and all my pokemon were on lvl. 60 so I had to either defeat it or let it go... I ended up defeating it.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • All of the Shinies I have ever caught have been completely by accident. On Platinum I ran straight into a Staravia who ended up helping me defeat the E4, and in Pearl I'm using a Buizel as a HM slave...because I couldn't be arsed to catch another one lmfao. Shiny HM slaves ftw?

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2010
    My luck with shinies has been HORRID.
    Seriously...
    My very first (non-predetermined (first was the red Gyarados, technically)) shiny was a random encounter Raticate. Now I caught it, and transferred it to my Sapphire cartridge so I could start the Fire Red (game I caught it on) over again safely. But this was a couple of weeks before I was gonna move. In the midst of the move, something happened - I've no idea WHAT - and I haven't been able to find the darned thing since then. T_T;

But enough on that. Currently trying to chain for my favorite Pokemon in shiny form: Caterpie.~ I suck at it, though... but I refuse to give up!

Shiny Azumarill

Azumarill:3
    Years
  • i have 4 shinies:
    i have a shiny bagon
    shiny chinchou
    shiny aipom
    and shiny wailmer^^
    no lie either;)

i have 4 shinies:
    i have a shiny bagon
    shiny chinchou
    shiny aipom
    and shiny wailmer^^
    no lie either;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I found a total of 10 shiny Pokemon in Pearl and got 90 others in trades. The 10 that I found were:
    Magikarp
    Zubat
    Geodude
    Palkia
    Heatran
    Glameow
    Diglett
    Goldeen
    Magikarp (Another one while Ev training)
    Bidoof

Years
  • I only have one random encounter shiny Pokemon, a shiny Drowzee from Heartgold. I found her outside of Goldenrod City on Route 34, I believe. She is my first random encounter shiny and even though it wasn't what I expected, I still love her all the same. Plus, I found her the day after I had my wisdom teeth pulled so it definitely made me feel better. =]

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I've decided to give chaining a little break, maybe finally get some time into HeartGold again.
    The last shiny I came across was a Staravia in the Trophy Gardens. She didn't come randomly but instead, I chained for her and was found at the chain of 14.

Back