• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The "Play Against PC Members" Match Setup and Etiquette Thread!

Years
    Okay, about a month ago, I noticed that there was an influx of people to the TCG section who wanted to play online, but either didn't know about Redshark, or couldn't get it to run on their computer. So, I finally am creating this thread, now that I have the time and the motivation to do so.

Known Active TCG Section Members

EVENTS OCCURING

RULES

• All general PokeCommunity rules apply.
    • All Pokemon Trading Card Game section rules apply.
    • Follow the etiquette posted here if you use this thread to set up a match.

PROPER SETUP ETIQUETTE

1. Find an opponent, preferably through this thread.
    2. Determine whether you are going to play in the Unlimited, Modified, or Unlimited with fakes from PC formats.
    3. Establish how the game will be played. I suggest one of the following:
      • Redshark
      • VMs
      • PMs
      • Webcam
      • IMs
    4. Agree upon a third-person/party to check your decks to see if they fit the agreed-upon format. I suggest using another PC member to check your decks, ideally one who visits the TCG forum.
      • You must include the set the card is from! If you don't know the set, find a picture of it online and send a it to one of the TCG section regulars so they can identify it for you!

PROPER PLAY ETIQUETTE

1. STANDARD PLAYING RULES APPLY
      • THE ONLY RULE THAT CAN BE WAIVED IS THE MULLIGAN RULE, BUT ONLY IF BOTH PLAYERS AGREE TO WAIVE THE RULE
    2. Play with the deck as it's dealt to you! Don't fudge your turn if it doesn't benefit you!
      • That would be cheating, and cheating is unsportsmanlike and is NOT TOLERATED when you go to official events!
      • You also don't learn anything about the game or how well your deck plays if you cheat!
    3. Let your opponent know when and which Pokemon of yours has been knocked out.
    4. If your opponent asks to "see" your discard pile, list the cards for them.
    5. It is a MUST that you make your every play known, short of when you shuffle the cards in your hand around.
      • For cards going from your hand to your deck, simply stating how many cards you are shuffling back into your deck will suffice, unless the card says to show it to your opponent before shuffling it in.
    6. If there is a card that has a player discard a card at random, each card must be assigned a number for each card in that player's hand by that player, and the opposing player should use a random number generator with that range to randomly choose the card.
    7. If you use a Pokemon Power, you must ask your opponent if he or she will use Power Spray or the Power of the Mysterious Treasures Alakazam to counter it before moving on with your turn. NO EXCEPTIONS!

RedShark and Hamachi Download Guide

1. Download RedShark from here and install it.
    2. Download Hamachi from here.
    * Choose the Free Download option, and then select the "Free Version" download option on the next page.
    * Click the green Get Started button, agree to the Conditions of Use, and then click the Download Now button under the Unmanaged column.
    * Run the installer.

If you have additional etiquette suggestions or would like to be listed in the "Known Active TCG Section Members" section on the right side of this post, please post them here.

I will not add you unless you request to be put into the list.

Also, check out the "Events Occurring" list on the right side of this post for tournaments and the like!

Last edited:

FurretFTW!!1!

/me lieks Mightyena, too.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    lol email. "Power Spray?"

I'll be up for a modified format or MD-on game with no fakes over RedShark or any web-based chat. PM me to plan.

Maybe set up a tournament?

Years
    lol email. "Power Spray?"

I'll be up for a modified format or MD-on game with no fakes over RedShark or any web-based chat. PM me to plan.

Maybe set up a tournament?

Ooh! Forgot about Power Spray! *adds a rule about it*

And we should set a tournament up. We may have issues obtaining enough players, though. I'll add a tournament to the first post.

EDIT: FIRST TOURNAMENT SIGN-UP LIST IS IN THIS POST! FULL RULES TO COME LATER!

Modified Format Tournament Player List

• Thoughts
    • Donavannj (if need be)

Preliminary Rules List

• None of the cards in the "Banned Cards" list below can be used.
    • All other current OP rules apply. Save for the ones that are physically impossible to do over the internet.

Banned Cards

• Cards not currently legal in the Modified format
    • ALL FAKE CARDS!

Last edited:

Raikou Trainer

Competitive Pokemon TCG player
    Years
    Adding on to the Power Spray rule is Alakazam from Mysterious Treasures, since it has a similar Poke-Power.

I would definitely be interested in an Unlimited format tournament, but I think there should be a few cards that would have to be banned i.e. (Super) Energy Removal and Gust of Wind. This also means that I should really learn Redshark ASAP.

You can add me as an active TCG forum member, since I do make an effort to check this forum daily.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Gonna sticky this thread. :) It's a great idea.

FurretFTW!!1!

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Unlimited tournament? Basically, it's flipping a coin to see who goes first... Stay as close to modified format, 'kay?

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Will cards that have been officially banned by WotC be banned in the unlimited tournaments? This is the list:
    Sneasel NG
    Slowking NG
    Birthday Pikachu (_________'s Pikachu)
    Ancient Mew

I propose at least the first three be banned, as the sneasel is totally broken, the slowking is completely and utterly broken and misprinted, and there is no way to verify it is the player's birthday to use birthday pikachu's attack. The ancient mew shouldn't be a problem, as long as we agree on an official translation for reference.

Also, congrats Donavannj on the thread getting stickied ^^

Years
    Will cards that have been officially banned by WotC be banned in the unlimited tournaments? This is the list:
    Sneasel NG
    Slowking NG
    Birthday Pikachu (_________'s Pikachu)
    Ancient Mew

I propose at least the first three be banned, as the sneasel is totally broken, the slowking is completely and utterly broken and misprinted, and there is no way to verify it is the player's birthday to use birthday pikachu's attack. The ancient mew shouldn't be a problem, as long as we agree on an official translation for reference.

I'll add those first three after I get a gash on my finger sorted out.

EDIT: Added to the tournament's banned list!

Last edited:

FurretFTW!!1!

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    lol Sneasel isn't broken anymore, but Slowking is. Also, Birthday Pikachu doesn't matter much, because:
    a) 2 energy for coinflip damage isn't too strong
    b) This forum could verify birthdays pretty well

As close to modified as possible, because everything would be too easy to win otherwise.

Salvation

To be saved.
    Years
    Hey hey, just joining the tcg scene so don't mind me. I think I play modified so yeah :x. Add me in the tournament ^^

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Ok, sneasel isn't so broken anymore but I would still encourage the banning of birthday pikachu just for the sake of having an efficient tournament, without tedious issues like verifying birthdays detracting from the game.
    I agree with a modified format tournament, though. You have to have someone judging who is familiar with the rules and prior calls spanning the entire lifetime of the game, and I'm not saying there isn't someone like that here, but it's certainly not me. I think starting off modified and branching out would be the most fair, and would get this thing started more quickly.

FurretFTW!!1!

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I know the rulings on tons of cards from base set to neo, and the e/ex-on rulings are pretty straightforward. I could judge and give proper rulings for this tournament, so PM me with questions. The Compendium on PokeGym would also be a quicker reference guide, so that would be a good place to link to on this page, maybe.

By the way, when is this tournament gonna start? How many players do you want, and how long to set it up after that's over?

Years
    Well, like I said earlier, we only need 3 to actually get a tournament done. I would prefer multiples of 4, though, since that's easier to set up and would be over quicker since we wouldn't need a round-robin round to figure out byes fairly. I can set up brackets pretty easily on my own - it's kinda one of those weird hobbies of mine. If we get a nice multiple of 4, I would use a random number generator to assign first round bracket pairings, and it would be a double-elimination bracket, since we could get two Tier 1 decks facing off in the first round.

I'm willing to take on any number of players, but the sign-up cut-off will be Monday, July 12th at 11:59 PM Central Standard Time. Play can be started once the pairings are up. Any of the suggested play methods can be used.

I'm also looking for two or more people who are willing to help check decklists for legality, since I don't think it's fair to others if I were to check my own deck for legality.

Back