• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokémon you though would never be in your team...

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    Have you ever had that pokemon, that you though,
    I never guessed I'd use that Pokémon!
    Well, lol, I have. On my current Soulsilver run, I'm using a Ledian, and it's better than it looks.
    It's used alot more than I guessed it would be used.
    Normaly I don't spare a though to a lowly bug-type, but, on this run, I'm focusing on using Pokémon I don't normaly use.
    Have you ever thought the same?

Years
    Geodude is one of those Pokemon I've always disregarded, even when I had means of evolving it all the way into Golem. Every time I catch it in a Nuzlocke run of HeartGold or Soulsilver, it tanks every trainer, no matter what Pokemon they have, Geodude is a total bro.

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
    At first I was all opposed to pink fluffy and round pokemon. But my Blissey is an awesome healer. Max HP EVs, moves are Softboiled/Healing Wish/Stealth Rock/Hyper Beam. I mostly use it while training to save potions. (Yeah, like I really need to save my hundreds of potions...)

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2011
    Butterfree! Worked suprisingly well for me for the bottom end of i forget which version..

Darkgoalie

Psychic Professor
    Years
    Wormadam in Platinum, Didn't think that a Bug/Steel type would be so useful for taking(until i could get Scizor).

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
    I used to not even consider using Mareep, always thought it looked a bit iffy :p But now almost every SS playthrough I've done I've got to have a Mareep on my team :)

Years
    Geodude it is so helpful against so many of the gym leaders I got mine at level 2 and now its its a Gravelar at level 45

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Normally, I don't use Geodude, but I did use one in my Violet gym challenge and it dominated. However, I swapped it out for a Larvitar traded from Platinum when I reached Azalea.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Theres a LOT of Pokemon I never used and when I found TTGA challenge (The Ones That Got Away) it opened my eyes to a lot of strong Pokemon I never knew about before, and ones that sucked that I didnt think would ;.;. Like Lapras, such a great Pokemon! I thought it was useless, but Ice Beam just ownes XD. Sneasel, on the other hand.. Sucks in my opinion ;.;. Good Speed, but doesnt learn any strong Ice moves.. And I hated Geodude, but loved Gengar and Gallade.. Lol XD.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    i never used nido's of any kind, but i used them in a nuzlocke bc i figured as king/queen it could prolly tank. but they pwnd once they evolved

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    Makuhita. I always catch one once I get to Dewford but usually put in the PC but this time I kept it on my team and it helped a lot.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Well on SoulSilver especially, I caught a level 4 kangaskhan with the PokeWalker and I ended up using him for the rest of my playthrough. He was pretty great. I only never thought I'd use one because you normally get Kangas so late in the games, and they're so rare in the Safari Zone anyway.

Years
    Well on SoulSilver especially, I caught a level 4 kangaskhan with the PokeWalker and I ended up using him for the rest of my playthrough. He was pretty great. I only never thought I'd use one because you normally get Kangas so late in the games, and they're so rare in the Safari Zone anyway.

There's a bit of a typo in your message.

Kangaskhan should be referred to as a "her" as they are female only.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2012
    During my current Nuzlocke of HG I caught a Pidgey and Hoppip, two pokemon I never use. Alas, they have been great assets.

Moment of silence for Hoppip, who recently died right before the Cianwood Gym.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Pretty sure one can try out pokes that they never planned on using outside of HGSS, so hence I'll move this to PGC.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I never thought I'd use the Zubat family and then I did, and there's no going back. They are so much more powerful than they seem.

Years
    I've had this happen a lot. Example would be Zubat family, they are actually pretty good to have. (Like SR said above)

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    There aren't really any Pokemon that I have used on my team that I didn't expect to use because I always pre-plan my team no matter how hard I try. I think I want to do a playthrough where I catch every Pokemon on a route and knock them out as I go based on usability.

Back