• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The 'Pokemon Following You' Discussion Thread

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I will love, and abuse this new feature until I slowly rot away from existence. Imagine a world where a huge random monster follows you. :D

ckn

A Black Animator
    Years
    this is the most awesome feature ever i cant wait to have my charizard or salamance following me. wait... wouldnt it be cool of instead of going to the menu and then clicking pokemon and all of that stuff to fly, surf, cut, headbutt or whatever you could just ask the pokemon following you if it ha one of those move at its disposal?!?! dat would be pretty cool eh? :D

Years
    this is the most awesome feature ever i cant wait to have my charizard or salamance following me. wait... wouldnt it be cool of instead of going to the menu and then clicking pokemon and all of that stuff to fly, surf, cut, headbutt or whatever you could just ask the pokemon following you if it ha one of those move at its disposal?!?! dat would be pretty cool eh? :D

that would be sweeet!
    and if your pokemon thats out of its ball is the one with like rock smash, when you use it, you could move out the way and the pokemon could smash the rock.

This sounds cool. It would be fun if a Pokemon like Wailord or the legendaries would follow you around. It would be very wierd, yet funny at the same time.

its been confirmed that all 493 pokemon can follow you, so you'll be able to do this once the games are out, no doubt people will make videos on youtube.

Chris The Nerd

OMG a Cowterpie!!!
    Years
    I wonder... if ditto follows you, would it transform into the last pokémon you encountered, or possibly gold himself? also, do you thing they will make a separate overworld sprite for pokémon with different forms?, (unown, deoxys, ect.)

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I wonder... if ditto follows you, would it transform into the last pokémon you encountered, or possibly gold himself? also, do you thing they will make a separate overworld sprite for pokémon with different forms?, (unown, deoxys, ect.)

They probably will make different overworld sprites, because it just wouldn't look right otherwise.

And I love this feature, I'm going to have to try this with a Magikarp XD

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013

I'd presume Ditto wil be itself when it comes to following us. I doubt it'll transform to Gold as Ditto is based on transforming to other Pokémon and not people.

As for seperate forms, I'd expect that. Seeing as they've given the Notch Eared Pichu its own OW sprite, and the Pikachu-Colored Pichu its own OW sprite. Then, I'd expect other forms of Pokémon to be shown in their own OW sprite, such as the Rotom forms and all. However, as for a Shiny OW sprite following us, that is questionable as they may have only done it for the Pikachu-Colored Pichu, but you never know.

We can expect more on this later on I'm sure. Right now it is best to enjoy the feature, but as for keeping it optional I'm not sure. However, it does look like the starter follows you from the get go as soon as you choose it from Prof. Elm. All that leaves me with though, is whether or not Silver and the supporting role may have his/her starter, for the least, following them too? ...

Years
    I'd presume Ditto wil be itself when it comes to following us. I doubt it'll transform to Gold as Ditto is based on transforming to other Pokémon and not people.

As for seperate forms, I'd expect that. Seeing as they've given the Notch Eared Pichu its own OW sprite, and the Pikachu-Colored Pichu its own OW sprite. Then, I'd expect other forms of Pokémon to be shown in their own OW sprite, such as the Rotom forms and all. However, as for a Shiny OW sprite following us, that is questionable as they may have only done it for the Pikachu-Colored Pichu, but you never know.

We can expect more on this later on I'm sure. Right now it is best to enjoy the feature, but as for keeping it optional I'm not sure. However, it does look like the starter follows you from the get go as soon as you choose it from Prof. Elm. All tha leaves me with though, is whether or not Gold may have his starter, for the least, following him too? ...

did you mean silver? i think it would be bad-ass if silver's starter followed him around, just imagining him running upto me as i try to get into ilex forest with his croconaw (i choose cyndaquil 9/10 times) following after him :D.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    did you mean silver? i think it would be bad-ass if silver's starter followed him around, just imagining him running upto me as i try to get into ilex forest with his croconaw (i choose cyndaquil 9/10 times) following after him :D.

Sorry, I had Gold on my mind for some reason. However, I did fix my mistake and I did mean Silver and the supporting role. It would be interesting to see them have their starter following them as well, but we'll see how that idea turns out for the most part.

Years
    Sorry, I had Gold on my mind for some reason. However, I did fix my mistake and I did mean Silver and the supporting role. It would be interesting to see them have their starter following them as well, but we'll see how that idea turns out for the most part.

it'd be awesome to see him with his "starter" following him!
    a very good idea btw :)
    i think Lance should have his dragonite following him when you meet up with him at the lake of rage & mahogany town.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I hope they don't go overboard with this "following" Pokémon. Like having everyone have their Pokémon following them. It'll be just cool if it's just you, and as f l a s h said your Rival, and the supporting role. Other than that, please no.

Last edited:
    Years
    I hope they don't go overboard with this "following" Pokémon. Like having everyone ave thier Pokémon following them. It'll be just cool if it's just you, and as f l a s h said your Rival, and the supporting role. Other than that, please no.

i agree with you, but with the exceptions of Lance (i think his dragonite should be out kickin' ass) and Red (if he's included, in which case his pikachu should be next to him).

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    i agree with you, but with the exceptions of Lance (i think his dragonite should be out kickin' ass) and Red (if he's included, in which case his pikachu should be next to him).

I can see like "main" people in the plot having the following Pokémon, but not everyone. Like the Gym Leaders perhaps could have their main Pokémon beside them. Or not.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Water Pokemons that can't walk coulnd't follow you. I just think. it could follow you on the ocean. Also about the Legendary. I think they woulnd't also. It's too big ( Just exceptions from the Small Legendary Pokemons )... That's what my mind tells me. xD

~Fairytales.
    SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER. I MUST HAVE WAILORD FOLLOW ME. >:O

Being Wailord's number one fan, I must say I can't wait for the opportunity to see it smiling, swimming on dirt. :D

TheAliveTrain

I love *splashes* Magikarps
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2009
    SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER. I MUST HAVE WAILORD FOLLOW ME. >:O

Being Wailord's number one fan, I must say I can't wait for the opportunity to see it smiling, swimming on dirt. :D

And then unintentionally eating you whilst smiling due to its size (kidding :D)

This sounds kinda fun, and it is ok for me.
    but it may suck for people who don't want any Pokémon following them. Plus, if it is the first Pokémon, on training sessions it may be annoying having a pokemon you don't want to out.

Back