• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The PokeWalker Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2014
    Oh. Thanks man. That's a bad idea biut a good one too. It's good because the kids will get active, but all you have to do is shake the dang thing. But it's ad because it's kinda sad that our world has become so inactive that they're doin stuff like this to get us active.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
  • Oh. Thanks man. That's a bad idea biut a good one too. It's good because the kids will get active, but all you have to do is shake the dang thing. But it's ad because it's kinda sad that our world has become so inactive that they're doin stuff like this to get us active.

No problem :) I don't think I can stress this enough though... When they announced it, they did not say "this is a pedometer, (walk) and raise the Pokemon to level 100" They said something more like, this is the PokeWalker, which is used like a pedometer. When Shokotan announced it, one of them asked if they could raise the Pokemon to level 100 using it... to this she took a pause (which simply could be just dramatic effect, but i don't think so) and then said that it is a possibility to raise a Pokemon to level 100 without ever having it battle. With this said, there is also a possibility that you cannot just walk 1 million straight steps... Though it functions as a pedometer, that is probably not where we should focus... We have no idea how all the features fit together and it has not been confirmed that you can shake straight to 1 million. I just really want to make that clear :(

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Ummm....

Is it one of those running things?

Yes it is a pedometer! Lol

Honestly I think the whole concept is pointless but the original GSC had interactive features too.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Good idea but couldnt you just shake it? or some other way of cheating xD
    I just know people will find a way and then there'llbe lv.100 pokemon everyplace!!
    What i mean is it'll be much easier to train

Don't you mean outside Japan? Or in America?

:/
    Dude you didnt really contribute to what this forum is for!

Anyways i like the idea but can't you just cheat?
    I mean people will just start shaking it to level up their pokemon faster yyou know xD
    It'll be really easy to get lv.100's now -_-

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Okay so each step it counts is an experience point if I understand this correctly. I'm still baffled by how you're supposed to battle on a tiny thing like this, nor do I really care because I probably wouldn't be handling that thing in public. Looks like a cheap tomogatchy thing, which I haven't touched in like ten years. XD; My question is that what if you gain a level while walking and you've got it in your bag or something, and you check it a few hours later. First of all, you'd have lost all those steps that you took that could have counted for experience, assuming that the screen stops at the learn a new move screen (like in pokemon games), and would you even be able to replace an existing move or whatnot to learn a new move on that little thing?

Also how does it connect to your game? Friend Code? Does that mean that that little thing'll need the internet for your footsteps to count? This thing seems incredibly farfetch'd. -shot-

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yep, I find myself cheating with those things all the time to make it seem like I was extremely active! Lol! I dont think they care. I think it is more of a gift.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I as an 18 yr old will not be walking around with a Pokeball Pedometer on my side for the public to see, that is all Im saying.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
  • Okay so each step it counts is an experience point if I understand this correctly. I'm still baffled by how you're supposed to battle on a tiny thing like this, nor do I really care because I probably wouldn't be handling that thing in public. Looks like a cheap tomogatchy thing, which I haven't touched in like ten years. XD; My question is that what if you gain a level while walking and you've got it in your bag or something, and you check it a few hours later. First of all, you'd have lost all those steps that you took that could have counted for experience, assuming that the screen stops at the learn a new move screen (like in pokemon games), and would you even be able to replace an existing move or whatnot to learn a new move on that little thing?

Also how does it connect to your game? Friend Code? Does that mean that that little thing'll need the internet for your footsteps to count? This thing seems incredibly farfetch'd. -shot-

Omg actually something interesting to discuss ;_; thank you so much :D I agree with you. That seems a lot more like what is going to happen... It's unfortunate that if you leave it alone, and something happens where it stops counting, you could potentially get screwed :(

As far as how it links though, that is going to be the interesting part. It did not look like there was any room on it for a wire link, so the only other thing I can think of logically is wireless connection. The problem with that though is then wouldn't you be able to access other people's pokewalkers? Maybe you need to register your PokeWalker with the game or something like that? That is going to be interesting to figure out.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • Anyways i like the idea but can't you just cheat?
    I mean people will just start shaking it to level up their pokemon faster yyou know xD

It seems to me that it's kind of a remake of the Pokemon Pikachu things they used to have, with a couple of differences. From what I remember of those, you could leave them on top of the washer/dryer while they were on as a substitute for walking around. =P I could be wrong though, since I never actually had the opportunity to get one. ;-; Anyway, I'd assume they'd make it harder to cheat now that it affects levels and things, though how they'd do that I have no idea.

On-topic, I like the idea, but there's nothing that says they'll be available outside of Japan yet, so far as I know.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Good gravy you know things started going downhill when we start speculating on a piece of plastic which we know most of the features...
    ANyway yeah we know it plays minigames you can have mini battles its a pedometer and you can raise happiness and the level of your Pokemon by walking which I pressume 1 step=1 exp. What more would there be in it? Oh and you can catch Pokemon and gain items for your game.
    The PokeWalker Discussion thread.

Last edited:

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
    Years
  • Good idea but couldnt you just shake it? or some other way of cheating xD
    I just know people will find a way and then there'llbe lv.100 pokemon everyplace!!
    What i mean is it'll be much easier to train

Well, some Pokemon have 1,640,000(EXP) as the highest. I doubt any person would shake that over a million times, 600,000 i can see possible. But i don't think more then a few handful would shake that thing that many times, i mean your arm would probably get tired after the first couple hundreds. Besides, it would possibly take weeks to get to 1,000,000.

Anyway, i sorta like this idea, although i won't be getting it. Seems pretty lame if i say so myself.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Another thread merged here, since htis one already existed for speculating on the PokeWalk

Yay, more confirmation that it will come with HG/SS. The likihood that it will appear outside of Japan went up! Assuming it stays this way for other countries, that is.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • And the price bobandbill. It has the infrared sensor cart which means mass production of said carts means a heftier price to keep them going.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • And the price bobandbill. It has the infrared sensor cart which means mass production of said carts means a heftier price to keep them going.
    TBH, I'm hardly surprised that it has the sensor - I half-expected it. =/

How much this impacts on the price everywhere shall have to wait - but I wouldn't think HG/SS would be sold cheaply, by any means. At least the 'standard' price new DS games tend to get, really.

Last edited:

yaminokame

やみのかめ
    Years
  • The standard I think is around 4000 yen when this might be at the rumored 4800 yen price.

Actually almost every DS Pokemon game has come 4800 thusfar :( (all but 1 from what I can tell, and it was 3800) Ruby/Sapphire had that link with them, so the price was actually up from 4800 to 5040. With the wireless adapters, FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald also all go up to 4800 (w/o they are 3800 a piece) I see the worst case here being up from 4800 to over 5000 ;_;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back