• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Protagonists

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    If my original inclination is true and OR/AS are distant sequels, then we'll probably get original customize-able characters, with Brendan/May being NPCs.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    But what if they're the originals? You must admit their outfits were top as hell
    Sure, they had nice outfits. And I'm not saying that it isn't going to be Brendan and May. They very well could be the protags and we can customize them. That's what I really want, character customization (and with a zillion different clothing and accessory options). I usually like it better when I have the option to customize my character's look.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Sure, they had nice outfits. And I'm not saying that it isn't going to be Brendan and May. They very well could be the protags and we can customize them. That's what I really want, character customization (and with a zillion different clothing and accessory options). I usually like it better when I have the option to customize my character's look.

Fair enough, and I can imagine a whole wardrobe of new hats an bandanas for the two kids respectively :3

Years
    They are probably going to be remakes of the orginals, like FR/LG and HG/SS, but I can't deny the possibility that Gamefreak is going to throw us a curveball and make it a sequel, like B2/W2, though that was because of the way B/W was set up with the version exclusive areas, Black City, and White Forest, so they needed to do it like that. Back on topic, I definitely want to have the protags be Brendan and May.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I really want May and Brendan to come back; I was caught off-guard when Lyra replaced Crystal in HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Years
    Praying for May and Brendan because they're both two of my all-time favourite protagonists - I have a feeling customization will be involved though.

They may even keep Brendan and change May slightly similar to what they did in HGSS but we'll see :)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    If it's a remake then it'll be Brendan and May.

It might have character customization like X and Y did, so you start off looking like Brendan or May then have the chance to change what you look like.

If it's new games then it'll be new protagonists you can definitely customize.

I would like to see them return if it's new games, perhaps as the Champion?

XY character customization definitely needs to be in, with the option to look like Ruby/Sapphire Brendan and May or Emerald Brendan and May.

Just going to throw this in and say that I really want them to look something like this *O*
    The Protagonists

I was just about to post this image; that redesign of May's outfit looks so pretty and sweet and hot and cute all at the same time! :3 I always imagined her in a bluish outfit since that's what her Pokemon Special/Pokemon Adventures manga counterpart seems to wear...? Her fanny pack looks huge, though. XD On the other hand, I hope May isn't redesigned too much; she (alongside Dawn) has one of the more solidified character designs (particularly because of the Pokemon anime), even compared to Red and Gold/Ethan.

The redesign of Brendan looks way too overdone, IMO. :< Brendan's original designs were both amazing (in both Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald, including May's outfits), so I honestly wouldn't mind their return.

Except the hat. Ugh, DAT "HAT"! Um, yeah, even though Ken Sugimori confirmed that the "white mass" atop Brendan's head is a knit cap, I refuse to believe it as such and in my own headcanon/fanon, it is Brendan's HAIR, now and always! Regarding the "white mass": as a hat, it's one of (if not the) the stupidest/goofiest hats I've ever seen; as hair, it's some of the coolest hair that I've ever seen a kid rock - the difference of interpretation is that great, at least in my opinion. Additionally, "white hair" helps to make Brendan a bit more visually distinct from all of the other player characters, of who everyone just has to have brown/black hair, for some reason (it also complements Brendan's mostly-black outfit). If I call the "white mass" hair, I'd probably mistake Brendan for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum's Lucas! The (official, likely from Game Freak) artist that drew this picture had the right idea; it looks so much better as actual hair!

The Protagonists

So, yeah, white hair and a mostly-black outfit help to differentiate Brendan from all of the other player character dudes, so if he's returning, I hope that the "white mass" is retconned as his hair.. Otherwise...I'll just keep calling it his hair (one wonders if they'll make it blatantly obvious as hair this time around.. ;-;).

I really want May and Brendan to come back; I was caught off-guard when Lyra replaced Crystal in HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Yeah; even if OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire uses the same plot as the original Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, Game Freak can pull a "Lyra" at any moment and just replace Brendan and/or May; nothing's really stopping them (except for maybe fan complaints). I'm hoping that Brendan (who is quite a bit more obscure than May, at least generally) and May return, though..

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I have a feeling we'll be seeing the return of Brendan and May. Can't possibly imagining them slapping any other faces on there.

That's what they did with HGSS, right?

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
    Years
    Personally, I wouldn't mind the protagonists being Brendan/May, but I would like to have the ability to customize my trainer again. That made X & Y feel so much more personal.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    According to Omaga Rudy & Alpha Sapphire's trailer -

Since The trailer talk about a Spectacular new world so the protagonist might be new too .
    May & Rosa is by far the cutest ! I wonder we will be ever cuter girl then her.
    She might appear in Anime as a rival .

It also says "Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire are a fresh take on Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire, which launched in 2003 and were fan-favourite hits on the Game Boy Advance system. "

Which indicates to me it's not going to be a different protagonist and we will be playing as Brendan and May. They could have new designs though considering they did that with Gold/Ethan and Crys/Lyra.

I think we will also hopefully get player customization , though if their new designs (if they get new designs) are good I might not even change my clothes.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I have a feeling that they'll use new protagonists rather than Brendan and May, because I simply can't imagine them being pale & blonde or dark skinned like Calem and Serena, especially when character customization is involved.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Even if it's Brendan and May, they'll be redesigned somewhat like Gold and Kris were. Ethan retained most of Gold's outfit, though, while Kris was basically replaced by Lyra (which I didn't mind as I like Lyra more... Yeah, I'm a hipster).

Since customization is a thing now, I hope it makes it into the game.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    XY character customization definitely needs to be in, with the option to look like Ruby/Sapphire Brendan and May or Emerald Brendan and May.

I was just about to post this image; that redesign of May's outfit looks so pretty and sweet and hot and cute all at the same time! :3 I always imagined her in a bluish outfit since that's what her Pokemon Special/Pokemon Adventures manga counterpart seems to wear...? Her fanny pack looks huge, though. XD On the other hand, I hope May isn't redesigned too much; she (alongside Dawn) has one of the more solidified character designs (particularly because of the Pokemon anime), even compared to Red and Gold/Ethan.

The redesign of Brendan looks way too overdone, IMO. :< Brendan's original designs were both amazing (in both Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald, including May's outfits), so I honestly wouldn't mind their return.

Except the hat. Ugh, DAT "HAT"! Um, yeah, even though Ken Sugimori confirmed that the "white mass" atop Brendan's head is a knit cap, I refuse to believe it as such and in my own headcanon/fanon, it is Brendan's HAIR, now and always! Regarding the "white mass": as a hat, it's one of (if not the) the stupidest/goofiest hats I've ever seen; as hair, it's some of the coolest hair that I've ever seen a kid rock - the difference of interpretation is that great, at least in my opinion. Additionally, "white hair" helps to make Brendan a bit more visually distinct from all of the other player characters, of who everyone just has to have brown/black hair, for some reason (it also complements Brendan's mostly-black outfit). If I call the "white mass" hair, I'd probably mistake Brendan for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum's Lucas! The (official, likely from Game Freak) artist that drew this picture had the right idea; it looks so much better as actual hair!

The Protagonists

So, yeah, white hair and a mostly-black outfit help to differentiate Brendan from all of the other player character dudes, so if he's returning, I hope that the "white mass" is retconned as his hair.. Otherwise...I'll just keep calling it his hair (one wonders if they'll make it blatantly obvious as hair this time around.. ;-;).

Yeah; even if OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire uses the same plot as the original Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, Game Freak can pull a "Lyra" at any moment and just replace Brendan and/or May; nothing's really stopping them (except for maybe fan complaints). I'm hoping that Brendan (who is quite a bit more obscure than May, at least generally) and May return, though..
    Hey if they keep Brendan then perhaps they'll allow us to dye his hair white. I sure hope they don't pull a Lyra on him or May.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Hey if they keep Brendan then perhaps they'll allow us to dye his hair white. I sure hope they don't pull a Lyra on him or May.
    I think that was done because Krys was introduced in Crystal, the third game of the generation, and it wouldn't have made sense to bring her back considering her name and origin. idk, trying to think like GameFreak has never worked for me before. If Brendan or May are removed I'm petitioning

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I think that was done because Krys was introduced in Crystal, the third game of the generation, and it wouldn't have made sense to bring her back considering her name and origin. idk, trying to think like GameFreak has never worked for me before. If Brendan or May are removed I'm petitioning
    Same here. They should keep them, or at least have characters who look similar...that way we'll just name them after them xD.

Years
    If they are remakes, then I think it will definitely be Brendan and May. Maybe with added character customization though? That would be sweet.
    If they are trying for a sequel or something, I guess it would be different characters.
    We will just have to see, I can't wait!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    AuroraBeam said:
    If they are remakes, then I think it will definitely be Brendan and May. Maybe with added character customization though? That would be sweet.
    If they are trying for a sequel or something, I guess it would be different characters.
    We will just have to see, I can't wait!

Definitely! I was thinking that customizable hats and bags and bandanas for both characters would be really rad. hmm or like different styles of Go-Goggles for the desert, maybe new sneakers or something. I don't think it should be as in-depth as X/Y, BUT that definitely was a snazzy feature and I could see it being implemented as well. I know I'll probably keep Brendan's default clothing because it's so freaking wicked, unless it gets changed, which I imagine it will.

Years
    Definitely! I was thinking that customizable hats and bags and bandanas for both characters would be really rad. hmm or like different styles of Go-Goggles for the desert, maybe new sneakers or something. I don't think it should be as in-depth as X/Y, BUT that definitely was a snazzy feature and I could see it being implemented as well. I know I'll probably keep Brendan's default clothing because it's so freaking wicked, unless it gets changed, which I imagine it will.

I'm hoping for at least some customization! Even if it's outfit color changes and a different hat. Just something! ^__^ I really liked finally being able to make my character unique from everyone else's.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I'm hoping for at least some customization! Even if it's outfit color changes and a different hat. Just something! ^__^ I really liked finally being able to make my character unique from everyone else's.
    mhmm, though now that I think about it I think I want more customization than XY if it's available because going through the accumulative list on Serebii, there wasn't THAT many items to choose from. :(

Back