• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Protagonists

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I doubt we'll get character customization since it wasn't in the original game. Right now I'm wondering if they'll replace and add a new character like they did for the other remakes.

Added Leaf for FR/LG only, removed Krystal and added Lyra. Wonder if they'll replace Brendan this time since May was in the Anime. Maybe add a new male side protagonist or something or even get rid of Wally and give us a real side rival since the opposite gender is kinda just there and not really competing with us.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    I want Brenden and May, however, I want an update to X and Y that includes the new character models and customization options so that the ORAS protagonists don't look like Calem/Serena when battling over. X/Y could even get the ORAS customization options available to their protagonists through the update!

Brenden and May, I miss you!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    According to Omaga Rudy & Alpha Sapphire's trailer -

Since The trailer talk about a Spectacular new world so the protagonist might be new too .
    May & Rosa is by far the cutest ! I wonder we will be ever cuter girl then her.
    She might appear in Anime as a rival .

Dramatic new story? If it's a remake, that's false advertising, since RSE's story was anything but dramatic. :P

I've posted in the other thread that I think they'll be Brendan and May with redesigns. I'm 100% sure they won't replace May, the anime fans would rage.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2019
    XY character customization definitely needs to be in, with the option to look like Ruby/Sapphire Brendan and May or Emerald Brendan and May.

I was just about to post this image; that redesign of May's outfit looks so pretty and sweet and hot and cute all at the same time! :3 I always imagined her in a bluish outfit since that's what her Pokemon Special/Pokemon Adventures manga counterpart seems to wear...? Her fanny pack looks huge, though. XD On the other hand, I hope May isn't redesigned too much; she (alongside Dawn) has one of the more solidified character designs (particularly because of the Pokemon anime), even compared to Red and Gold/Ethan.

The redesign of Brendan looks way too overdone, IMO. :< Brendan's original designs were both amazing (in both Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald, including May's outfits), so I honestly wouldn't mind their return.

Except the hat. Ugh, DAT "HAT"! Um, yeah, even though Ken Sugimori confirmed that the "white mass" atop Brendan's head is a knit cap, I refuse to believe it as such and in my own headcanon/fanon, it is Brendan's HAIR, now and always! Regarding the "white mass": as a hat, it's one of (if not the) the stupidest/goofiest hats I've ever seen; as hair, it's some of the coolest hair that I've ever seen a kid rock - the difference of interpretation is that great, at least in my opinion. Additionally, "white hair" helps to make Brendan a bit more visually distinct from all of the other player characters, of who everyone just has to have brown/black hair, for some reason (it also complements Brendan's mostly-black outfit). If I call the "white mass" hair, I'd probably mistake Brendan for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum's Lucas! The (official, likely from Game Freak) artist that drew this picture had the right idea; it looks so much better as actual hair!

The Protagonists

So, yeah, white hair and a mostly-black outfit help to differentiate Brendan from all of the other player character dudes, so if he's returning, I hope that the "white mass" is retconned as his hair.. Otherwise...I'll just keep calling it his hair (one wonders if they'll make it blatantly obvious as hair this time around.. ;-;).

Yeah; even if OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire uses the same plot as the original Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, Game Freak can pull a "Lyra" at any moment and just replace Brendan and/or May; nothing's really stopping them (except for maybe fan complaints). I'm hoping that Brendan (who is quite a bit more obscure than May, at least generally) and May return, though..

Haha well I for once am In love with Breandans redesign that this artist did. If something like this comes into the game I will be speding 3hours deciding wheneever to play as May or as Brendan.

But anyhow I do agree with you that X/Y customizaton is a MUST. But for some reason I am a bit sad since the 3d version will probablly look a bit diffrent then how the sprites would look. I mean don't get me wrong i'm all in for the customization and 3d. It's just going to lose a bit of the charm that it had back then (or in Black/white (2) for example the spirtes looked amazing).

I just feel like the 3d characters somehow manage to get a bit of the "animal crossing" look in themselves and I do not necesarlly like that.

Anyhow I am on the hype truck to little root town anyway!

Djinnception

There's a Snake in my boots!
    Years
    I'm just happy to see a remake, would be thrilled with a new story, new map, new characters. I played Ruby/Sapphire so much I can remember most of the story to this day. New is always exciting for me when it comes to Pokemon.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I don't know whether the old Brendan and May would make a return, but I'm hoping they will. It's not only because they were the classic icons of RSE, because the customisation available in X/Y makes it a bit weird. Maybe they could be our 'bases', like how we can change up Calem and Serena to make them look completely different. That would be cool.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I doubt we'll get character customization since it wasn't in the original game. Right now I'm wondering if they'll replace and add a new character like they did for the other remakes.
    I assure you the fact it wasn't available before won't prevent it from being introduced. Remakes always bring new features so that's no excuse to disclude customization.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    Seeing as May is my favourite Pokemon protagonist, I hope to goodness that they keep both May and Brendan. The games wouldn't feel like Hoenn without those two! ;____;

I do wonder though, if they'll keep their outfits for change them or not.

Added Leaf for FR/LG only, removed Krystal and added Lyra. Wonder if they'll replace Brendan this time since May was in the Anime. Maybe add a new male side protagonist or something or even get rid of Wally and give us a real side rival since the opposite gender is kinda just there and not really competing with us.

I understand why they added Leaf because in the originals you could only be a boy. x3
    But for gen 2, I'm not sure why they ditched Krystal. I hope they don't do that to May or Brendan D:

Last edited by a moderator:

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
    I'd say very likely Brendan/May, since this is actually a remake and not a sequel :( It's been confirmed these games are more remakes, the whole "new world" thing is (more than likely) just some advertisement bs being pushed by the Pokemon Company.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I'd say very likely Brendan/May, since this is actually a remake and not a sequel :( It's been confirmed these games are more remakes, the whole "new world" thing is (more than likely) just some advertisement bs being pushed by the Pokemon Company.

I'm kinda cautious on their wording now. They're advertising a brand new game. They have to advertise it well somehow right? Judging by the words they've used on what changes (megas, forms, something else?) are planned for the legendaries ""never before seen Pokémon"", their wording could mean anything at this point. It could very well be just overhyped and exaggerated.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Seeing as May is my favourite Pokemon protagonist, I hope to goodness that they keep both May and Brendan. The games wouldn't feel like Hoenn without those two! ;____;

I do wonder though, if they'll keep their outfits for change them or not.

I hope they give them new outfits. If we can customize them than I hope they include remakes of the originals for us to buy down the road.

I really hope they give them more of a personality this time around. May and Brendan were by far the most forgettable protagonists/rivals so I'd love for a push in that department, especially in regards to teams. I mean, why didn't they show up in Victory Road with a fully evolved starter?! Wally sure took the glory away.

Just.. so long as we don't get another Kris -> Lyra thing again. I'd much rather they use and expand on the existing characters than bring in new ones.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
    Since these are remakes I bloody hope at least May stays, she's by far my favourite female protagonist. I think it would definitely be better if GF retained the customisation feature from XY too, though somehow I have a gut feeling they won't... I dunno why :s

Years
    I really hope they give them more of a personality this time around. May and Brendan were by far the most forgettable protagonists/rivals so I'd love for a push in that department, especially in regards to teams. I mean, why didn't they show up in Victory Road with a fully evolved starter?! Wally sure took the glory away.

Just.. so long as we don't get another Kris -> Lyra thing again. I'd much rather they use and expand on the existing characters than bring in new ones.

Yeah. I was disappointed that they didn't evolve their Pokemon all the way. I still liked them a little better than Serena/Calem but they were nearly as boring.

Years

Yeah. I was disappointed that they didn't evolve their Pokemon all the way. I still liked them a little better than Serena/Calem but they were nearly as boring.

I do agree with you two. Brendan and May were kinda bland given they never fully evolved their Pokemon, particularly the starter. It was too obvious Wally stole the spotlight from them so I want the rivals put equally this time around.

Years
    Hopefully they'll try to better themselves, and post game instead of giving up they decide to continue battling and challenge the player to a battle where they Mega Evolve their starter.

Years
    I'm thinking now that they'll have May and Brendan in their RS gear, and then because customization has become a 6th Gen feature, that their Emerald outfits will be unlockables or something :)

Back