• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Return of Pokemon Riding?

blue

gucci
Years
  • I like the idea of Pokemon riding, though I'd like to see it more expanded if it were to return. In X/Y it was a cool feature but it felt limited to being only in certain areas for a short amount of time only to cross a short distance. As other people have suggested it would be awesome to have some sort of competition that used this feature.

Years
  • I probably don't expect riding to return, especially now that the full-sized overworld sprites is going to make it harder to do without doing stress. Plus with the vehicles shown I feel like that's going to be the new riding gimmick.

EpicMewtwo

Trainer
    Years
  • I'd actually really like to see this feature return, I really enjoyed it. I do think it should be restricted to certain areas, but I would love it if they allowed you to ride your own Pokemon. Now THAT, would be cool.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • Like others, I don't expect it due to console limitations. If it was on a home console and not a handheld, maybe. That said, I think it'd be possible to have a specific list of Pokemon able to be ridden in certain routes. A handful of Pokemon being ridden on a handful of routes is much more plausible than having to render 800 Pokemon (most of which wouldn't make sense) everywhere. Each Pokemon could even a different riding ability such as different speeds, jumping, etc.

Years
  • Over the ledge

Do you think we'll be able to finally ride Skiddo over ledges all over the game in Sun and Moon, or you do think that might not ever be a thing that happens?

It seemed like pokemon had just been testing the waters in the last games. Giving us the ability to ride them over ledges but only in select parts of the game. Ooh, that made me a little ticked, not much mind you, but ticked none the less.

I wanted a mount pokemon for all over the game.

Ooh! Do you think we should get other mounts? Like from the pool of existing Pokemon?

What Pokemon would you want as a mount?

6UEHOiY.jpg

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Pretty sure we'll be able to mount pokemon in Alola :) but in a select part. Considering if there's another island, the player might need to climb up to the top of the mountain or volcano considering its Hawaii and the player rides a special fire pokemon? Ooo maybe a new pokemon we're able to ride on!
    Also in the previous games we were allow to see Lapras and Sharpedo's over world sprites if we'd surfed on them, hopefully they continue the idea of being able to see our Pokemon while we're surfing! Maybe only exclusive to water-type pokemon due to having to make so many sprites. But I would love to see my character to ride on top of it's pokemon it's flying on, for example, on my Togekiss or a Dodrio which don't have any wings xD

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It's possible, maybe not everywhere but certainly at specific places. X/Y made it so you could ride Mamoswine through the snow, Rhyhorn to scale the cliff and then Skiddo to just run around that small area. I'd like to see them expand this further because it is a really cool feature that could work well with many different Pokemon.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    CmSBQt0WIAAzlFm.jpg

This is confirmed to be returning! Woo!

Cool. I wonder if we'll be able to do it anywhere now or if it'll just be in designated spots again. You can't really tell from a screenshot.

I hope we can ride on Drampa. That would be so awesome.

Sirfetch’d

I was really hoping that riding Pokemon would make a comeback! Glad to see that it is :) However, I do hope that this time around we have the option to ride more than a couple of Pokemon and that is has a smoother feel overall. When riding the Rhyhorn in XY, it felt very clunky at times. Maybe this time around it will have a better feel to it.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm not expecting this to be implemented any more extensively than it was in XY. Because if you could ride any Pokémon (within reason) anywhere (within reason), I don't see why Pokémon following you couldn't return, either. But as it stands, that doesn't seem to be a priority for these games, so for the time being I expect this to be executed in the same vein as XY. I only hope the controls are better this time around, at least.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Interesting to see Pokemon riding return. I hope we can ride our own Pokemon this time, and please have some more rideable Pokemon like Arcanine, Rapidash, Tauros, and Zebstrika.

ChiKouu

Froslass Trainer
    Years
  • I really hope that, at the very least, we can use our own Pokemon to get through the areas we need to ride a Pokemon on. Something like "Hey you need this specific Pokemon to get through, but if you don't have one on you we have some you can rent". Sure that would just be some dialogue (and at most four different models) but it would still be YOUR Pokemon you're riding on, and that would mean a lot to me

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I get to ride on a Stoutland! HECK YES!

This was one of my favorite features in XY other that character customization, and I'm glad to see the both of those return. Riding on the Pokemon and not some generic sprite I think is awesome, and I'm hoping this somewhat eliminates the constant use of HM's. I hope soaring returns as well.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • Yes, I was more Pokemon that can be interacted with!

Just seeing Pokemon in the overworld playing a purpose, no matter how small, in the games really excites me for some reason. It makes the world feel way more dynamic than ever so I hope this gets expanded upon a lot. X&Y were a good starting point, but then it was basically lost in ORAS (I get why since they were remakes, but they did add Spiritomb and a few surf Pokemon, so they easily could've added more, plus have the ones are XY return), hopefully there will be a lot of Pokemon that can be ridden and interacted with in S&M.

Years
  • I think we'll see a few more Pokemon become ride-able, like Rapidash, Arcanine etc and the feature itself improved so we won't have a Rhydon situation again. Hopefully riding won't be limited to certain spots but I think the area will just be expanded upon instead of us being able to ride Pokemon throughout the whole region - although that would be so cool I think it won't happen at this time.

I'm really happy this feature is returning and if Game Freak do it right then it could be a really enjoyable part of SM.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • Yes, I'm so glad this feature has returned! I really loved riding on a Mamoswine in my Pokemon X (I'm sry Rhyhorn xD). I hope this time we will be able to ride them longer. And I hope there are more Pokémon besides Scoutland we can ride on. We have many other possibilities.

Back