• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years

I never really was a fan of that Pokemon, but most people like it because it looks "smug", aka where Smugleaf came from. They like the concept of a snake with limbs that thinks it's better than everyone else. :(

Tepig, really, I thought would have been the most popular because it was most adorable when I first saw it.

Exactly what I thought. =/ Except when I first saw Tepig, I didn't like it all that much, but it easily (and quickly x3) became one of my favorites. :3
    Snivy is just becoming a bit annoying with how popular it is. X_X

iRyu

Why is he smiling? The Father?
    Years
    I picked Oshawott, but named him Pegasus.
    I'm not a big fan of Snivy, smugleaf would've been epic.
    Tepig? I don't understand that or Oshawott...

When I first saw the starters when they were released in Japan, I thought i would pick the grass starter, despite me always picking the fire starter, but I saw Oshawott's final evolution before the game's release and was determined to have it.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    All three of their fully evolved forms just bother me.
    They're just so....weird.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

Exactly what I thought. =/ Except when I first saw Tepig, I didn't like it all that much, but it easily (and quickly x3) became one of my favorites. :3
    Snivy is just becoming a bit annoying with how popular it is. X_X

Tepig is the best and most cute first evo starter. I just like Jalorda the best overall XD When I get Tepig, I shall never evolve it. It is a little piglett that defines the word 'cute'.

Years

Tepig is the best and most cute first evo starter. I just like Jalorda the best overall XD When I get Tepig, I shall never evolve it. It is a little piglett that defines the word 'cute'.

When I first saw Tepig's evolutions, I HATED Chaoboo, so I wasn't going to evolve my Tepig, but now it's grown on me, so I'll only evolve it once. Enbuoh is just so damn bulky and ugly. T_T

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I love the names, especially Oshawott, because they are unique AND because they are names of Pokemon. Let me explain my reasoning. Oshawott is an otter-ish Pokemon, but it's not an otter, it's a Pokemon; so why does its name necessarily have to make sense? If it was named "Water Otter" or something like that than it wouldn't be a Pokemon, it would be an otter. Imagine if you were in the Pokemon world and have no animals, only Pokemon. When Snivy was discovered it was named Snivy, not necessarily named after a snake, because snakes don't exist in their world. Do you get my point or am I confusing you with my random rambling? lol :P

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I love the names, especially Oshawott, because they are unique AND because they are names of Pokemon. Let me explain my reasoning. Oshawott is an otter-ish Pokemon, but it's not an otter, it's a Pokemon; so why does its name necessarily have to make sense? If it was named "Water Otter" or something like that than it wouldn't be a Pokemon, it would be an otter. Imagine if you were in the Pokemon world and have no animals, only Pokemon. When Snivy was discovered it was named Snivy, not necessarily named after a snake, because snakes don't exist in their world. Do you get my point or am I confusing you with my random rambling? lol :P

You, sir, just made a genius point!
    It makes perfect sense!
    We should put that to thought more often.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I get that post! But still, I dislike the sound of "Snivy". XD; Though theoretically, if we were in the Pokemon world, Snivy wouldn't be discovered now for those who lived in Isshu/Unova, rather, it would have already existed for years and apart of society, which doesn't really add to it, but hey. XD

Thinking about it, too, there were a lot worse name choices, too, which would've sounded even stranger to us, so I guess I'm slowly becoming more used to these ones. Except Tepig, which I keep typoing as Tipeg. lol. :(

King Gumball

Years

I dont like the sound of the name though. Oshwotta sounds much better. Oshawott is to disjointed and are two totally different sounds put together, that were never meant to become one (Osha+Wott) Where as if you jumble the letters and form Oshwotta it matches nicely and sounds nice too. Oshawott=Most Fail pokemon name. :/ That is a name I know I will not get used to.

EDIT: How do they get " Seviper, a snake pokemon etc." then when snakes and other animals dont exist ;P *kicked*

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

I dont like the sound of the name though. Oshwotta sounds much better. Oshawott is to disjointed and are two totally different sounds put together, that were never meant to become one (Osha+Wott) Where as if you jumble the letters and form Oshwotta it matches nicely and sounds nice too. Oshawott=Most Fail pokemon name. :/ That is a name I know I will not get used to.

EDIT: How do they get " Seviper, a snake pokemon etc." then when snakes and other animals dont exist ;P *kicked*

Oshawotta sounds even better! :D

Did my research.

Snivy = Snively, Ohio
    Tepig = Tepic, Mexico
    Oshawott = Oshawa, Canada

Take that.

How do Ohio, Mexico and Canada relate to New York or America in general, though? They might not have even noticed that the names are similar to actual places until afterwards, since all the names do have actual connections that aren't necessarily places. XD;

King Gumball

Years
    Did my research.

Snivy = Snively, Ohio
    Tepig = Tepic, Mexico
    Oshawott = Oshawa, Canada

Take that.

Quite a coincidence. But I dounbt they would name thm after those places. What would be the point exactly.
    Forever
    Oshawotta sounds even better! :D

Oshawotta... Oshwotta. Yeah I think Oshawotta. Or maybe Oshuwotta. IDK. Anything would be better than Oshawott. So friggin disjointed.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    True.
    Simply putting the letter A at the end of the name would make it sound more clear to the mouth.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ohio = Lots of grass and stuff.

Mexico = If I recall, Mexico is a hot place. So it fits well with Pokabu.

Canada = Explains itself with Mijumaru.

Mhmmm but how does that relate to the games themselves, rather than the typings? Other than the typings relating to the locations, there really is no reason as to why the names are similar, plus, Snivy was pretty obvious as Snake Ivy, which is exactly what Tsutaaja meant anyway. D:

And yus, Oshawotta ftw!

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years

Quite a coincidence. But I dounbt they would name thm after those places. What would be the point exactly.

Oshawotta... Oshwotta. Yeah I think Oshawotta. Or maybe Oshuwotta. IDK. Anything would be better than Oshawott. So friggin disjointed.

hmm... Osha w00t still is the best nickname for it!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back