• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • The only one I like is the grass starter, but I won't choose it because I hate doubling up on types and Cherrim is the only grass type for me. n_n So unfortunately, it's out.

As for the fire type, I think it'll be the one I choose merely by process of elimination (I'll get to water after this). It's cute but it doesn't quite click with me. Still, I did kind of have a predisposition to fire since I tend to choose fire types on the odd-numbered gens and water on the even. So I guess I get to continue that pattern but honestly, I won't be surprised at all if I ditch for a different fire type, depending on what's available. D:

And the water type... ugh. Its design needs to be way simpler or else the other starters need to match it in complexity. There's just too much going on with it. It looks like a cross between Piplup, Bidoof, Pachirisu, and Marshtomp. :| It just weirds me out. It barely feels like a Pokémon to me, let alone a starter. Maybe it'll grow on me but for now I just really, really dislike it.

._. To be honest, I think this is the most disappointing set of starters yet. I'm hoping their evolutions pique my interest because otherwise this is the very first time I've really had no preference.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    I hardly ever go with the fire starter, for my first playthrough I ALWAYS choose the water so I'm going with Mijumaru. Can't wait to see what he has in store for us:D

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    It's A Shell!!

I just relalised that the thing on Mijumaru's chest is supposed to be a sea-shell!

Did anyone else not get this straight away?

Either way I don't think it looks that good... :s

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I definitely like Pokabu most. He's very cute indeed, and besides I always choose Fire. Tsutaja is ok I guess, a bit similar to Grovyle though as people have said. And Mijumaru is cute, but a bit overcomplicated - particularly with the shell, and the neck pattern, and the fact that he has too many different colours.

Obviously I can't tell for sure before I see final evolutions, but I'd rate their basic forms as follows:

Tsutaja: 6/10
    Pokabu: 8/10
    Mijumaru: 6/10

I think on the whole the Hoenn starters were the weakest. I also think the Fire starters have got weaker with every new generation, but it looks at the moment that Generation V will stop this trend.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I looked at all the starters from Generation 1-5 and for some reason the new ones stand out from the rest. They just seem to have more detail then the others, and I think that's what makes them special.
    Edit: Thanks for the Poll, Patchisou!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Added a poll to the thread for people to choose which starter they're choosing!

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2012
    i love pokabu + the grass starter , but the water one is a little wierd , i hope its other stages are better <3

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I'm surprised, people started with Tsutaaja, but as time went by, people started to like Pokabu the most, this, however, does not change my feeling about Tsutaaja, but i'm happy that people are picking Pokabu, because it was seeming like he was getting the least amount of love, even less then Mijumaru.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    The grass one. It looks flamboyant and rather smug and that kind of attracts me to it. It gets my vote.

The fire one just made me cringe slightly. I've wanted to start off with a fire starter for once (not counting FireRed) and not either of the other two types, but I just don't like the design.

And as for the water one, I don't particularly like it either, but it's better than the fire one.

umbreon_4_life

aka Commander Mars
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2012
    I sooo call Tsutaaja! I think it's the cutest one! And besides, I've barely ever chosen the grass type. I like Pokabu, almost as much, but I still think Tsutaaja is the best! And as for Mijumaru... Eh, I don't really like it. =( No offense to those who do.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • It's an otter? I thought it was a bear... I also thought the snake was a dinosaur. The pig is the only thing I got right...

Besides Bulbasaur, all of the grass starters were regular animals until their last stage. At their last stage they were Dinosaurs.

It all comes down to what they evolve into, their moves and their typing. Based solely off of looks I am going to be using Pokabu!

Last edited:

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    Gotta go with Tsutaaja, it definitely looks the best, and (except for Chikorita, horrible starter choice and just not as appealing to me overall) have always been partial to grass. I think Mijumaru should probably be a water/ice type... and Pokabu is cute, but it doesn't seem to fit to me... it's not like the other fire starters, I actually think it would have done better as grass. Plus, the fanart of Tsutaaja's line is just epic win :D! Grass/Dragon type, anyone? I sure hope that's how Nintendo goes with it...

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Names of the Starters

So far I have heard Smugleaf for Tsutaaja and Wotter for Mijumaru.

Apparently Poku means warmth and Bu is the sound a pig makes in Japan. So something along the lines of a synonym for warm plus a synonym for oink.

Reflux

Reflux
    Years
  • Gen 5 starters are just something the creators sneezed out. they fail. I will be dumping them as soon as i get second poke in game >_>

Markus_of_Hoenn

Grass-Type Lover
    Years
  • Tsutaaja without a doubt. The new starters, at first, I thought were the worst yet. But now that I started considering them, I think they're the second best gen of starters. (Hoenn claims first, all of their starters were amazing, especially Treeko ^^) So I'll remain loyal to my passion for Grass-Type. I'm excited to see their evolutionary froms. Whoever made that fan art os Tsutaaja evolving into that Grass/Dragon-Type Is amazing! I've wanted a Grass/Drangon-Type for so long and that just looks amazing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    Tsutaja!
    Definately my favourite lookin' Grass type starter ;D
    I 'kind of' liked Treecko but Tsutaja is far better!
    The other two are pretty lame but so are most starters.
    Chimchar/Infernape is still my favourite starter of all time, for now!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back