• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
  • I seriously hope that it won't gain a dragon typing upon evolution. After bad experiences with Torterra, I'd prefer my grass starters to not be 4x weak to Ice...

Also, the name "Smugleaf" is too overused imo. I'd much prefer something like Hisseed or seemander.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I want a Grass/Dragon. *Stares*
    And he's awesomenessly AWESOME~!
    And, I dislike the name Smugleaf, let's leave it as Tsutaja, till then ^^;;

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Isn't Tsutaja an unconfirmed name? Essentially any name is appropiate right now.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • I don't like Smugleaf mostly because I learned it's becoming a forced meme. I hate memes that aren't good enough to spawn on their own.

As for the Pokemon itself, it's the best of the starters, doesn't look half-bad, but I hope it doesn't gain Dragon typing.

Years
  • It's a tough choice between Mijumaru and Tsutaaja but I think i'll go with the snake,it's funny,I never chosen grass starters before because I don't usually like grass.

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    i never got a trecko, which upsets me.
    i want another go with this gen's grass! go grass reptile things!!

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • *looks at Grass type* Meh, alright I guess.

*looks at Fre type* Wow, pretty good actually.

*looks at Water type* Wat. The. ****??

That water type is officially the worst looking starter I have ever seen in my entire life. How the hell do you go from the awesomeness of Squirtle, the coolness of Totodile, the okayness of Mudkip and the decency of Piplup, to this complete garbage?

The other two are okay though.

Edit: Actually, it depends on the final evolution for me. The fire type could end up being some fat slimy turd pig, and the water type could end up being an awesome Walrus thingy.

Just saw that fanart thing for the grass type. If the evolution chain is as good as that, I'll start off with that one, absolutely no doubt about it. A grass Dragon would be win. The only stupid thing about that is that fire type attacks will only be normal effective. They let you start off with grass, water and fire for a reason.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Pokabu looks kinda cool. I really hope it turns out as a fire/dark Pokemon! But Mijumaru looks kinda cool, too... And since it looks like an otter that makes it even cooler... But I'll choose Pokabu 'cause he's cute and plus the fact he might be a fire/dark. He'll 'prolly end up fire/ground, though...

Davav

Pokemon Master Trainer
    Years
  • I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

I a'm gonna choose Tsutaaja because it's head looks like that one from cydaquil and
    I love jotho starters!

Just........FANTASTIC!

Infernaped!

Rocket Grunt 'Ray'
    Years
  • I think for the first time in almost all of the games I've played I'll be going witht he grass pokemon (Tsutarja) on this one.. snakes are pretty awesome anyway..

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    I'm gonna get all three of them [=
    that's what I do since Gen I--getting all starters.
    I love the Grass starter, she looks seductive, lovin' those eyes!! xD
    The Fire one is okay, but when I first see the Water starter.. I was like WT*!? :(
    Hopefully they'll all look awesome and strong when they evolve...

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Why doesn't anyone like Mijumaru? Out of the three, I thought it was the best designed, and I don't see why people don't recognize it as an otter. Pokabu is okay, and I like the design of Tsutaaja, but if I didn't read it was supposed to be a snake I wouldn't have guessed it. I have noticed that as the generations progress, the starters have focused more and more on cuteness as a design feature, but as long as the evos still look strong I won't mind it that much.

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
    Years
  • Mijumaru. <3 So cute, and it reminds me of Piplup. xD But is the Grass Pokemon US name Smugleaf? Or did u make it up? o.O

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Mijumaru. <3 So cute, and it reminds me of Piplup. xD But is the Grass Pokemon US name Smugleaf? Or did u make it up? o.O

The official US name hasn't been announced, people are just calling it that.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I guess I should re-post my names here:

Tsutaja: Sneavi - (Snake - leaf - ivy) originally Leavi (Leaf -ivy) Bu tjust now, I decided to add "Sn" for "snake" as that's what it is. Also "Snea" is like "Sneaky":)

Pokabu: Flarig - (Flare - flame - pig)

Mijuramu: Tosea - (Otter - sea)

Hope you like them :)

☆DiaIsDia☆

.:Cradle Shock:.
    Years
  • I'll be choosing Mijumaru. Simply because water pokemon DOMINATE! =D xD The when I get the other version, Pokabu. Then the third version, Tsutaaja.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Mijumaru. <3 So cute, and it reminds me of Piplup. xD But is the Grass Pokemon US name Smugleaf? Or did u make it up? o.O

People just use that to reference it. I think Mijumaru's reference name is Wotter, and Pokabu's is Pignition or Pignite, I think. Maybe, anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back