• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Pokabu is by far the cutest starter ever created...and if he evolves into something appropriately cool enough (nothing short of a large razorback with a flaming body and oversized tusks) he will be the first fire-type that I have chosen since Cyndaquil. :D

Otherwise, I will default to my traditional affinity to the grass-type starter, and Tsutaaja looks as if it can evolve into something that will make Venusaur, Sceptile, and Torterra proud to be its predecessors. (Meganium omitted because it's not cool like the rest of them. XD)

Mijumaru...it's not bad, it's just that I'm not a big fan of water-types that don't have "Tenta" or "Quag" in their name...

...how the hell do people think he looks like Piplup though? I see a tiny bear, not a tiny penguin. =/
    the water starter is an otter...you can see this better in it's evo...
    I like Tsutaja the best, it's based on skinks (this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skink ) snakes/lizards oh and Ivy :) I like it because it reminds me of a Hoenn starter (treeko) and I love anything that reminds me of Hoenn :)

Last edited:

Years
  • Personally, I think all three of the starters will at least have an awesome evolution in their own way, just like in Generation III. For me, in that gen, I could easily choose between any of the starters because each of them looked just as cool as the next.

Some of us may underestimate the starters now, but wait until we actually see their final evolutions in detail, then we might actually change our minds.
    You stated another reason for my love of Hoenn's starters :D. The second form of majimaru leads me to believe it will have a cool samurai like form :)

Years
  • Smugleaf all the way.

Its expression is just...absolutely PRICELESS, and it reminds me of Treecko, one of my all-time favorite Pokemon. I'm definitely starting with him. (Oh, and I'm also probably going to nickname it "Smugleaf" just for kicks. Lol.)

:t254: Sceptile0111 :t254:

BlueShuckle

School Boy
    Years
  • It's definitely between Tsutaaja and Pokabu for me.
    I usually always pick the fire Pokemon, but this grass snake looks like it could turn out beastly.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
  • the water starter is an otter...you can see this better in it's evo...
    I like Tsutaja the best, it's based on skinks (this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skink ) snakes/lizards oh and Ivy :) I like it because it reminds me of a Hoenn starter (treeko) and I love anything that reminds me of Hoenn :)

hmm i found it more to resemble The Green Vine Snake
    Spoiler:

i actually didn't think of Treecko when i saw it
    i thought it looked better =P Treecko was my least favorite grass type starter to start with =\ and i always pick grass type starters so.. i dunno =)

Years
  • hmm i found it more to resemble The Green Vine Snake
    Spoiler:

i actually didn't think of Treecko when i saw it
    i thought it looked better =P Treecko was my least favorite grass type starter to start with =\ and i always pick grass type starters so.. i dunno =)
    Wow that really looks like Tsutaja, the resemblance between Tsutaja and the skink are the legs actually :P

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Tsutaaja sucks. I really hate it.

I was going to pick Pokabu, but some fan art of his evolutions as a flaming boar turned me off to it. However, I'll probably use it in my secondary game.

That leaves Mijumaru. I thought it was really great, and since my opinion has Pokabu has went down, I'm using it in my primary game.

I always get both versions, and I don't like reusing starters, so I'm hoping there won't be a third version. I do not want to have to use
    Tsutaaja!

Years
  • Tsutaaja sucks. I really hate it.

I was going to pick Pokabu, but some fan art of his evolutions as a flaming boar turned me off to it. However, I'll probably use it in my secondary game.

That leaves Mijumaru. I thought it was really great, and since my opinion has Pokabu has went down, I'm using it in my primary game.

I always get both versions, and I don't like reusing starters, so I'm hoping there won't be a third version. I do not want to have to use
    Tsutaaja!
    Why do you hate Tsutaja? I just want to know don't worry I won't attack you for you opinion :).

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
  • oh i just thought of Tsutaaja's limbs as like Vine/Ivy and Not actual Legs... i dunno
    heehee i actually Love Tsutaaja xDDD
    for every Lover for something theres a Hater i guess =P Yin/Yang XDDDD

Anyway, i usually don't tend to Reuse a Starter Either
    so on Black i'll choose Tsutaaja
    and on White either Pokabu or Mijumaru depends on what i'm feeling at the time i start it
    3rd version whatever else i didn't pick and i might even trade over another starter and not evolve it =)

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    No it won't, not as fast as Tsutaaja since it is a snake, but sea otters aren't that slow, and w/ it being a fighter type then it would have to have speed on its side.

Starters (from fastest to slowest): Tsutaaja - Mijumaru - Pokabu

Pigs aren't as fast as snakes and otters. Mijumaru may be able to match Tsutaaja on speed it's final evo is a super sleek fighter :cool:

i was just going on past evidence that all the water starters have been really slow even the supposed physical sweeper feraligatr

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • We need a faster water starter. Charizard was the fastest in gen 1, Typhlosion was in gen 2, Sceptile was in gen 3 for sure, and Infernape for gen 4. So fire has had the most in speed. I see Tsutaaja being fastest this gen.

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    We need a faster water starter. Charizard was the fastest in gen 1, Typhlosion was in gen 2, Sceptile was in gen 3 for sure, and Infernape for gen 4. So fire has had the most in speed. I see Tsutaaja being fastest this gen.

exactly im sick of slow water starters feraligatrs speed stat kind of ruined its potential to sweep i think although at least empoleon had agility

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Feraligatr has Dragon Dance for speed though. Swampert has been the slowest of the water ones I think

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Feraligatr has Dragon Dance for speed though. Swampert has been the slowest of the water ones I think

oh ya thats true dragon dance does help it out. swampert is slow alright but then again its water/ground i havent seen once fast pokemon with that type combination

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back