• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • You mean like this? :)

Having seen this interpretation of the Pokabu3 sprite I'm pretty much looking forward to using him. I do like the appearance of Pokabu3, [S-HIGHLIGHT]I just kinda wish a) it didn't look so much like Rhyperior, b) its gold swirly details weren't exactly the same as Infernape's weird wristguards, and c) it wasn't Fire/Fighting.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Spoiler:

since no one's posted Blazorback's sprite yet:

The Starter Discussion Thread

Bonus points for including his stats. He does unfortunately look like a slower Infernape with higher HP. >_>

Thanks for posting Enbuoo's sprite for preview, Timbjerr, and thanks for linking to the fanart, Sammuthegreat.

The above fanart by Sieberwolf of DeviantArt has finally improved my outlook regarding Pokabu :cer_boogie: (IMO, anyone on the fence about choosing Pokabu as his/her starter should view the above fanart as well :)). The sprite looks better than the leaked version somehow, but I'll need to see it person as well as Pignition's (Enbuoo) Sugimori artwork.

As for the highlighted text above, I agree. The similarity to Rhyperior is a bit of a let-down, but I think both Rhyperior and Pignition will be able to shine in their own way. Thankfully, the swirls don't look crappy as some swirls can look, and actually evoke a "Chinese" theme for me.
    But the reusing of the Fire/Fighting combo is currently BW's biggest let-down for me. I sincerely want to hear from Game Freak in an interview exactly why they chose to implement Fire/Fighting combo for the starter's final evo for three Generations in a row.

Additionally, I wanted Pignition to be fully quadrupedal... However, its apparent bulkiness offsets some of the disappointment I have for its bipedalism...

The biggest disappointment, however, is Mijumaru's final evo :(:cer_cry::cer_no::cer_confused::cer_cry:, currently known by its Japanese name of Daikenki (which is also fun to say as the previous 2 stage's names were :)). Sugimori artwork or an anime appearance are likely the main factors that will help to rectify my negative opinion of it so far. That is the one Pokemon, out of all of the Generations so far, that could pass for an actual Fakemon. I knew Ken Sugimori and his team had trouble on its design, but it looks like they were capable of a much better appearance than that... Daikenki looks like an awkward, bulky fighter at first glance, and I don't know how to see "samurai" in its design. I'm trying not to spoil the rest of the Gen V Pokemon for now, since I'm already mad for them leaking earlier than they were supposed to be revealed.

As for English nomenclature, my hopes for Pokabu's line are: Porkabu > Emboar > Pignition

For Tsutarja: Smugleaf > ?????????? > Smuglord?

For Mijumaru: Wotter > Aquotter? > ??????????

Nicknaming Pokabu as Razorback will seem odd now due to the designs of its evo, but I'll work with it. I'm hoping it learns the move Punishment down the line...

Mijumaru will probably get nicknamed Daikenki by me...

I was going to nickname Tsutarja Poison Ivy, but I'm sort of undecided. I really wish that its evo, currently known as Jaroda, had been typed Grass/Dragon, because the Grass-type tends to be so frail on its own... It should at the least be able to learn some Dragon-type moves...

(On a side-note, does anyone else think BW is obsessed with hexagons in the menus and such? I keep on seeing them in a lot of the screenshots. IMO, simple rectangles and squares would have sufficed...)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Porkchop is starting to grow on me. I may nickname mine Man Bear Pig. (South Park, anybody? :D) although i still love Lord Smugleaf ( Peace be upon his grassy appendages)

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Pokabus line is the saddest day in fire type history, just no, its even worse than the beta/fan art we saw, id take the anteater over Pokabu any day.

Mijumaru still cant stand it, but once it evolves i love it, & its final evo is the new gyarados to me,badassery in motion <3

but we all know Smuglord is my man, hes on my team, & he will always be a dragon type to me,cuz hes got the dragon-ness to him
    i hope it can get Dragon Pulse, cuz i know ill definitely teach it that :)

rockets>u

The Champion of on-and-off
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    Personally, I don't like the way they look or their stats, especially the grass one's stats.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • lol I know you weren't being serious. I wasn't being serious either. xD

I HAVE FAILED AT READING YOUR NONSERIOUSNESS ABOUT MY NONSERIOUSNESS. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? IS THIS POKESPARTA? (PokeSparta should totally be the next region; we based one on NYC, now let's go base one off Greece, with tons and tons and tons of Water types 'cause of all them Greek islands).

Back on topic:

You know, I've been thinking. Maybe Boarbeque is part Fighting because he would have gotten the short end of the stick otherwise. Think about it - both Smuglord and Wotterfun have good defenses, and no Stealth Rock weakness. In the metagame/competitive battling, Stealth Rock is EVERYWHERE, and were it not for its Fighting typing, Boarbeque would be LE FAIL at being tanky because a tank weak to Stealth Rock isn't very tanky at all. Mind you, with 110 HP and 65 in both defenses he's still not that bulky (the combination of that HP and those defenses is akin to having 80/80/80 defense-wise across the board), but at least this way he can take a hit, and is balanced more or less. I mean, let's face it, Stealth Rock is the bane of stuff weak to it; Charizard, an otherwise EXCELLENT Pokemon, is bogged down big time by the hell that is Stealth Rock the minute he goes into battle and them rocks be floatin' about. :\

As for Wotterfun, let's face it, an Ice typing would be awful for the guy (look what it did to Cloyster! I repeat: LOOK WHAT ICE TYPING DID TO AN OTHERWISE AMAZING DEFENSIVE POKEMON LIKE CLOYSTER!) and he'd be weak to Porky's fighting moves. That being said there's no reason why he couldn't have been Water/Fighting... a samurai wotter? How can that not be Water/Fighting? XD Seriously GF...

Finally, I wanted Smuglord to be Grass/Flying, but then its stats would have meant nothing with that horribilis ice weak. :C And I knew it was never gonna be Grass/Dragon, so that's not an option. And what else could it be? Grass/Poison? Gains a fighting resistance, but loses its Ground one, so booo. And so in the end, our beloved Smuglord was destined to be pure Grass all along. But it's not all bad news:

Pure Grass or not, he's still lord of all things leafy and smug. :D

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

• I HAVE FAILED AT READING YOUR NONSERIOUSNESS ABOUT MY NONSERIOUSNESS. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? IS THIS POKESPARTA? (PokeSparta should totally be the next region; we based one on NYC, now let's go base one off Greece, with tons and tons and tons of Water types 'cause of all them Greek islands).

Back on topic:
    [S-HIGHLIGHT]
    You know, I've been thinking. Maybe Boarbeque is part Fighting because he would have gotten the short end of the stick otherwise. Think about it - both Smuglord and Wotterfun have good defenses, and no Stealth Rock weakness. In the metagame/competitive battling, Stealth Rock is EVERYWHERE, and were it not for its Fighting typing, Boarbeque would be LE FAIL at being tanky because a tank weak to Stealth Rock isn't very tanky at all. Mind you, with 110 HP and 65 in both defenses he's still not that bulky (the combination of that HP and those defenses is akin to having 80/80/80 defense-wise across the board), but at least this way he can take a hit, and is balanced more or less. I mean, let's face it, Stealth Rock is the bane of stuff weak to it; Charizard, an otherwise EXCELLENT Pokemon, is bogged down big time by the hell that is Stealth Rock the minute he goes into battle and them rocks be floatin' about. :\[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

As for Wotterfun, let's face it, an Ice typing would be awful for the guy (look what it did to Cloyster! I repeat: LOOK WHAT ICE TYPING DID TO AN OTHERWISE AMAZING DEFENSIVE POKEMON LIKE CLOYSTER!) and he'd be weak to Porky's fighting moves. That being said there's no reason why he couldn't have been Water/Fighting... a samurai wotter? How can that not be Water/Fighting? XD Seriously GF...

Finally, I wanted Smuglord to be Grass/Flying, but then its stats would have meant nothing with that horribilis ice weak. :C And I knew it was never gonna be Grass/Dragon, so that's not an option. And what else could it be? Grass/Poison? Gains a fighting resistance, but loses its Ground one, so booo. And so in the end, our beloved Smuglord was destined to be pure Grass all along. But it's not all bad news:

Pure Grass or not, he's still lord of all things leafy and smug. :D

Well, I guess Pignition/Enbuoo's typing is justified partially, for the resistance to Stealth Rock. I'd still like him to be Fire/Dark, though. And a mere 65 value in its Defense and Special Defense? And it's supposed to be bulky?! *disappointed*

I agree, Daikenki should've been either Water/Fighting or Water/Steel (preferably the former to avoid repetition from the last Gen's Water starter). The beneficial resistances and the reference to a "Samurai" help to support these type combos...

While Grass/Dragon doesn't seem plausible for a starter, I still think it could help Tsutarja somehow. Maybe limit Smuglord's/Jaroda's stats somehow so that it isn't broken or overpowered, yet still a very viable choice for battle.

rockets>u

The Champion of on-and-off
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    What roles do you guys think they will have in competitive battles?

Enbuoo might hit hard but he is too slow and his defenses are too weak, I can't see him being a better choice than Infernape.

what is Jaroda going to do? *shrugs*

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • XD If Smuglord was Grass/Dragon and got its tail (don't got hands lol) on either Power Whip and/or Outrage and/or Leaf Storm and/or Draco Meteor... yeeeaaahhh. Sure, it's only got 75 in each offense, but slap a choice on the mofo or else make him swords dance his royal butt away, and the thing would own hardcore. :>

But you're right, 65 in each defense is hardly bulky. But defensively pure Fire is worse than Fire/Fighting, I think; Flying and Psychic are not as devastating as Rock moves are, and Fire's already weak to two common types of attack (ground and water).

Also, y'all folks using Everstones to prevent your starters from evolving... you ARE aware of the fact that everyone and their grandma in this gen has monstruous offense? Even the dog, the pigeon and the monkeys, which are supposed to be early game Pokemon, all have attack well above 95. I don't really care if people evolve their starters or not, but I'm curious as to what y'all plan to do when little Tsutaaja/Pokabu/Mijumaru faces all the fully-evolved pokemonsters in the game and their huge attack stats. :>

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • And exactly why would you make Pokabu hold Everstone in order to prevent it from attaining the following level of EPICNESS? :D (Just asking...)

The Starter Discussion Thread

Higher defenses would've been much more appreciated for Enbuoo/Pignition... :\

Last edited:

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • DAMN YOU BLAZERBACK FANS! STOP POSTING ABOUT PIGGY. I love boars/pigs irl and now I'm having second thoughts.

HELP ME BE STRONG, SMUGLORD. I MUST NOT PICK THE PIGGY. THAT'S A GRYFFIN-DOR / HUFF-LE-PUFF STARTER. I MUST NOT DISHONOUR SLYTHER-WIN HOUSE.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff. >_<

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back