• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Obelisk

Toad Sage
Years
  • Im gonna say my favorite would be the Mijumaru line. I love the first two and how they are based on otters. Even though Daikenki kind of strays away from the line it looks badass.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • OK, Jaroda got more awesome. Its face as Tsutarja conveys the "U Mad?" message, Janoby loses some of the smugness and seems to hint that it's lightening up, but Jaroda just stares at you, conveying the message "YOU EVEN DARE TO ENTERTAIN THE MERE NOTION OF CHALLENGING ME, PETTY FOE?" Epic. :rambo:

Daikenki...has partially been redeemed. I love how he bares his fangs. But the white mustache still seems very out of place. The shell on his head still looks awkward, like they took an oddly-shaped shell, put on spikes, and called it a day. :( I would have loved if there was a Sugimori artwork that used the color scheme of Daikenki's shiny variant, only incorporating the tan/yellow shell colors from Daikenki's normal coloration instead, not the shiny's pink shells.

Enbuoo/Emboar sort of got cooler. Everything below its fire beard looks cool. However, the fire beard looks like it was lazily drawn, and the mouth is way too long that Enbuoo conveys a terrible sense of goofiness instead of the menacing threat that its sprite seemed to portray. :(

The fire beard on this artwork of Enbuoo is more what I had in mind (drawn by Xous54 of DeviantArt). It looks a bit more defined, as do the black eyebrows and semi-spiked tail:

enbuoh_by_xous54-d30kx3m.png

And LOL at this quote from Smogon pertaining to Enbuoo's usefulness/awesomeness in battle :cer_laugh::
    Your post good sir shows just how Awesome the fire starter is :)
    I like pokabu now better with the official Sugimori art work too along with the other two :)

Years
  • The starters just got much more epic.

Spoiler:

Meeeh, maybe it's just me, but this didn't make me like the evolutions all that much... Chaobuu looks a bit more cute, but I still hate Enuboo to death. Dx It's mouth is too long, its eyes are now red (wow, sudden eye color change? =/), and it still looks TOO much like Rhyperior and Magmortar combined. I think I'm warming up to Chaobuu now (even if its body looks Humpty Dumpty-like xD), but I'll NEVER evolve it into that...hideous thing. :s

Futachimaru looks freakin' adorable, and all samurai-like. :3
    But Daikenki looks.... pretty fat. We've all been over the 'it looks nothing like its predecessors' thing. And I'm sticking by that. It's ugly, and I just... hate it. D:

But Janobii and Jaroda... they're so elegant and pretty. :0
    Jaroda looks like a snake queen or something, and I actually really like those black lines that sit on top of Janobii's eyes. They look like eyelashes...:P Also makes it look very feminine. :>

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Your post good sir shows just how Awesome the fire starter is :)
    I like pokabu now better with the official Sugimori art work too along with the other two :)

Thanks! I can't wait to decimate opponents with Enbuoo in battle. :)

Meeeh, maybe it's just me, but this didn't make me like the evolutions all that much... Chaobuu looks a bit more cute, but I still hate Enuboo to death. Dx [S-HIGHLIGHT]It's mouth is too long, its eyes are now red (wow, sudden eye color change? =/)[/S-HIGHLIGHT], and it still looks TOO much like Rhyperior and Magmortar combined. I think I'm warming up to Chaobuu now (even if its body looks Humpty Dumpty-like xD), but I'll NEVER evolve it into that...hideous thing. :s

Futachimaru looks freakin' adorable, and all samurai-like. :3
    But Daikenki looks.... pretty fat. We've all been over the 'it looks nothing like its predecessors' thing. And I'm sticking by that. It's ugly, and I just... hate it. D:

But Janobii and Jaroda... they're so elegant and pretty. :0
    Jaroda looks like a snake queen or something, and I actually really like those black lines that sit on top of Janobii's eyes. They look like eyelashes...:P Also makes it look very feminine. :>

Huh...the eyes look red to me if you zoom into the sprite of Enbuoo.
    Spr_5b_500.png

I agree about the mouth thing, though...way too long. IMO, Chaobuu looks the worst of the line. It's decent, but I think it could've been better. Enbuoo, however, looks like a ferocious boar that would wipe the floor with most Pokemon. :D

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • ...I don't quite like Emboar as much now that I've seen its Sugi art, but still like it.

I'm deffo using Jaroda and Daikenki, though. Epic, epic, epic all the way. <3

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Thanks! I can't wait to decimate opponents with Enbuoo in battle. :)

Huh...the eyes look red to me if you zoom into the sprite of Enbuoo.
    Spr_5b_500.png

I agree about the mouth thing, though...way too long. IMO, Chaobuu looks the worst of the line. It's decent, but I think it could've been better. Enbuoo, however, looks like a ferocious boar that would wipe the floor with most Pokemon. :D

Maybe it's mouth is long so it can eat massive things seeing as it is a pig.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Maybe it's mouth is long so it can eat massive things seeing as it is a pig.

Hmm...you may be right. But still, it looks very awkward/goofy on Enbuoo/Enboar's face! The sprite made it sort of look like the flames obscured it, to the point where it wouldn't interfere with the design.
    And I kind of imagined Enbuoo/Emboar spending more time pulverizing opponents than satisfying its apparently voracious appetite... :\ I'd expect the 'massive food consumption' thing more from Chaobuu, followed by Pokabu. Enbuoo seems a bit refined to partake in that sort of thing...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    With the new Sugimori artwork, I actually think that Daikenki is adorable. XD;; There's something about its mouth which is so... aww <3

Emboar does look better in the artwork fenyx posted, however, it looks better than any of us really imagined in the first place anyway - it looks hell strong.

Tsutaaja's fnal evolution, on the other hand... doesn't amuse me. The colours are still off and the pose is strange, defs a fan of the other two.

WAIT! Tstuaaja's pose reminds me of Bart Simpson. o_O

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Emboar grew on me like crazy after seeing all the different moves it learnt I used it on Black and it was a monster. Giving the thing boiling water and wild bolt will turn him into a machine that can handle anything. IMO he is pretty good but not as good as Daikenki.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • After seeing the fully evolved Isshu starters' artwork, I must say that I like Daikenki's best. I like how Jaroda doesn't look like it's simply standing on the ground. However, Emboar's artwork is okay, other than the really wide mouth.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2011
    Emboar look so ugly. I mean srsly ugly. I'm happy I didnt choose him as my starter. And after you really think about it, it doesnt have an advantage over the gyms as much as one wouldve thought.

Mijumaru looks cute, Futachimaru looks awesome and adorably, Daikenki is pretty huge actually. It stille looks nice though, cute,strong, samurai like. They could have made it a bit thinner though. Hrm, I guess they'll have to do that in the anime. I chose Mijumaru as my starter, and it hasnt failed me.

Tsutarja, on the other hand, looks pretty ugly at first, but morphs into a beatiful snake. Jaroda looks just awesome, kickass! Srsly.

Design wise, I would say:

1st form- Pokabu>Mijumaru>Tsutarja
    2nd form- Futachimaru>Janobii>Chaobuu
    3rd form- Jaroda>/=Daikenki >>>>>>>>Emboar.

Gymwise:

Gym 1- No starter has an advantage
    Gym 2- If you have Chaobuu by now, it has an advantage, although negligible since its slow and gets the weak arm thrust. Futachimaru's shell blade does more damage and is consistent. Janobii would be much faster and therefore able to do more damage overall.

Gym 3- Chaobuu can rip apart two pokemon in this gym. Will have some trouble with ishizumai. Futachimaru can take down ishizumai and possibly hoigga. Is weak to hahakurimo. Janobii sucks here.

Gym 4- Futachimaru is weak to all 3 pokemon. Janobii and Chaobuu are weak to the two Emonga. Zeburaika can kick Janobii using nitro charge and Chaobuu is so slow it'll just roll over and die. Mght be able to do some residual damage though. All the starters suck in this gym.

Gym 5- Chaobuu has an offenxive advantage over two pokemon, but is weak to all the 3 pokemon attacks. Janobii, althoughit can take down two pokemon, it is somewhat frail.It'll have problems wih doryuuzu. Futachimaru cant take down warubiru and doryuuzu with water pulse powered by its high special attack, and gamagaru takes two shots to get KO'd. Problem for futachimaru is, Doryuuzu is faster.

Gym 6- Janobii and Chaobuu get their asses handed to them. nuff said. Futachimaru can do neutral,useful damage.

Gym 7- Chaobuu rocks here. Futachimaru, if it knows revenge, can take down the pokemon here. As usual, Tsutarja is weak here.

Gym 8- All three are weak to dragons. THing is, Daikenki still gets lots of power from its special powered surf and it can relearn megahorn and use it for useful neutral damage. Emboar kinda strugles. yes, it can learn hammer arm, useful attack, but makes it slower. I dont think that's a problem since emboar starts slow anyways. Jaroda, on the other hand, struggles with grass moves. You might want to teach it return if you're ever gonna do some damage.

Elite four-

Psychic- Daikenki has megahorn to deal supereffective damage. Emboar has trouble here. Jaroda can deal neutral damage to most. Kokoromori may take it down.

Dark- Daikenki with megahorn does well again. It can do well even with revenge. Emboar with Hammer arm is useful here. Jaroda does neutral amage except to kirkizan.

Ghost- Daikenki can hit two of the ghost with supereffective moves, one of them for neutral damage, and the last one for less damage. Emboar struggles against all of them. Jaroda can take down two of them, one for neutral damage and one does supereffective damage against it.

Fighting- All starters do neutral useful damage.

N- Daikenki can take down two pokemon(White), does neutral damage to three pokemon. Jaroda can take down one pokemon and most of the others take it down. Emboar is useful against three pokemon, only if you have taught it hammer arm.

Geechisu- Emboar generally does better than the other two since its fighting type, therefore it needs hammer arm badly. Daikenki can neutral damage most of them and can use megahorn on sazandora. Jaroda once again has difficulties.

Note- I havent battled the elite 4 yet. Am using roster details from serebii and also a walkthrough to know the pokemon.

Years
  • My opinion of Daikenki improved greatly after I saw its Sugumori artwork. I still plan on using Jaroda to start with in White, but I might just pick Miju in Black now.

tbh, the clear Sugumori artwork really helped all the starters out.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
  • mmmm.. Daikenki definitely has the better Sugi Art v.v
    I'm disappointed that Jaroda got such a Weak Position in it's art =\ it's Sprite Position is better v.v
    Embuuo looks rather beastly o3o

72pokemonmaniac27

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I am DEFINATLY going to start with mijumaru. He's just awesome, and in my opinion has the coolest evolutions. I think that pokabu's evalution turns out to be a quite odd creature, i cant even say i considered it haha. Tsutaaja also has cool evolutions but, they're not really my style. I prefer a awesome pokemon, [usually water or fire (starter wise)] that can do some damage, and makes a good addition to my team.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Before I wasn't too sure I liked Jaroda all that much and I thought it didn't match the line, but it still has the smug/arrogant position, little flap hands, and fits the snake title appearance. Jaroda's sprite work has a better side to me than its artwork and although it has a Milotic pose, most of the B/W Pokémon have a reference to the older ones. I don't mind this as there are quite a few of them I like and GameFreak is pretty known to have some of the past in the new generations. n_n; Out of the three starter's evolution line for this generation, Jaroda was the only one I really disliked the most. Now it's grown on to me, as well as a lot of the other Pokémon I didn't fond too much.

I also decided I would be picking Mijumaru when the English Release comes around. It's so adorable and "gentle natured" I couldn't resist. x3;

Tony Stark

Mr. Stark
    Years
  • Seeing the official artwork has really changed my perceptions of the three. I think I'll settle on Pokabu for now, then I'll choose Mijumaru in the other version that I don't buy, probably Black.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back