• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flan

has the bird flu.
Years
    • Age 27
    • NYC
    • Seen Oct 15, 2017
    I must be in the minority to like Enbuoh (Tepig's final evo), lol. I thought it was kickass, similar to Hihidaruma. Or maybe I have unique taste. :P

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Snivy's Special Attack is just as bad as its Attack (both are at base 45). The only good things about Snivy and its evolved forms are their good Speed and good support movepool.

I think he meant in-game, not competitive. So in-game it has got good stats to play through.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I like them all and need help choosing!

Well, if it's any help, Snivy/Tsutaaja is the more popular one, so if you're a person that tends to pick the popular starter, then Snivy would be the right choice. Apparently it's pretty good in speed, from reading the previous posts and has a lot of moves which you can get STAB from (iirc from what someone said ages ago lol), so that's something!

Tepig/Pokabu is not as favoured, mainly because of the final evolution's design. However, the final evolution has a few negatives, such as being slow, but to me, there are more positives, such as a diverse learnable TM moveset, for example, with it being able to learn even a water type attack. So if you like movesets to cover all your bases, well... Pokabu would probably suit you.

Oshawott/Mijumaru originally wasn't as favoured due to its design but is slowly becoming more popular. Although it isn't fighting type as expected, there are still a few positives I can think of. Like for example, Futachimaru, its second evo, has an awesome design. Overall, I haven't really paid much attention to it, but I'm pretty sure it can learn at least four HMs, so that can be handy, I guess.

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Jalorda has potential to get a lot of use thanks to its dream world ability no?

King Gumball

Years
  • Well, my bad then. In-game, Snivy/Janovy/Jalorda having base 45/60/75 Attack and Special Attack is still bad, IMO.

True, but Jalorda is a defensive pokemon 95/95 for defense and SpDef, and with a base of 113 speed it has the upper hand in majority of battles.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • Tsutaja is my favorite starter of all time! I am trying to get used to the new name though; I would have like to see Smugleaf :(

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
  • I need help picking mine. I'm definitely not going with Tepig, because Emboar's 65 special defense, defense, and speed make me cringe. Also Plus there are great fire Pokémon like Shandela and Ulgamoth to make up for it.

Jalorda on the other hand, with its 95 Defense and Special Defense is pretty attractive, though having 75 for Attack and Special Attack is kind of a turn-off. Still, with 113 speed, it's comforting knowing it'll at least be hitting first. His moveset makes me wary though.

I'm slightly favoring Daikenki. It has better HP, Attack, and Special Attack than Jalorda, better Defense, Special Defense, Special Attack, and Speed than Emboar, and unlike Emboar with its four weaknesses or Jalorda with its five, Daikenki only has two. With Oshawott, I'd probably SR until I got a nature that adds to attack, since his moveset suggests more physical attacks than special, even though his SA stat is higher.

In the end, I'm between Snivy and Oshawott, leaning slightly to Oshawott.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Question, why does Wikipedia say Oshawott is the least favorite of the three starters? sounds more like personal opinion...

And how i nthe world could you say Tepig is better? I'm not sure if it was because of the memes or what, but Oshawott will always be my favorite.

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
  • Question, why does Wikipedia say Oshawott is the least favorite of the three starters? sounds more like personal opinion...

And how i nthe world could you say Tepig is better? I'm not sure if it was because of the memes or what, but Oshawott will always be my favorite.

Type loyalty. Most of the people who will start with Tepig likely started with Charmander, Cyndaquil, Torchic, and/or Chimchar in past generations. Same thing with a lot of people picking Snivy and Oshawott. A lot of people will look beyond Tepig's poor stats because of it.

Charizard203

Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2019
    Well losing it's leg is like how the Bible said in Genesis, You will now have to crawl on your belly...
    So yeah I did kind of like it how that happened, plus snakes do have legs, their just so small you can't see them or use them properly.

Logan_AT

Often Lost in Thought
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    I like my fire-type pokemon, but Tepig isn't calling to me and that he's another fire-fighting starter isn't helping his appeal. Right now I'm leaning towards Oshawott (otters ftw!), but I'm also considering Snivy might be a good change of pace as I've rarely trained grass type pokemon, let alone started with one. I'm divided between them at the moment and I can't decide.

....Yeah, why is Oshawott considered the least liked of the three starters? I don't get it either.

King Gumball

Years
  • I like my fire-type pokemon, but Tepig isn't calling to me and that he's another fire-fighting starter isn't helping his appeal. Right now I'm leaning towards Oshawott (otters ftw!), but I'm also considering Snivy might be a good change of pace as I've rarely trained grass type pokemon, let alone started with one. I'm divided between them at the moment and I can't decide.

....Yeah, why is Oshawott considered the least liked of the three starters? I don't get it either.

Because of its hideous, turn off name given to it when it is so cute and deserves something better. And it's final evo's design atrocious. It is the final evo that turns people away mainly :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back