• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The term "black hole" is racist...

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    Okay, seriously?

Perhaps Hallmark could've perhaps thought of a better cute joke on the card to advoid this, but,

really?

Everything that has the world "black" in it isn't racist.

Sooner or later, we'll be hearing about "Yellow Flowers" being offensive to Asians.

I'M CALLING YOU OUT, POKEMON WHITE.
    YOU OFFEND ME.

Misenterpretation will ruins everything;
    I understand that bigoted people exist, but not everything in the world is going to get you. People are being over-sensitive and extremist.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    OK, I have actually heard the recording and it sounded like "black holes".

Then I listened to people talking about what they thought it sounded like and only then did I hear it as "black *******".

It's due to a part of the human mind that hears or sees things more easily once they have been pointed to you. People can only hear the racism if people who have decided that it is racist have pointed out the racism to them. It's a silly overreaction to a harmless, space-themed greetings card.

The NAACP just go out of their way to declare things as racism. Too bad they don't notice their own name - 'coloured people'? Really?

The card had been out for three(?) years previously and never found any bother. And now, the NAACP picked up on it and suddenly it's racist. Groups who do things like that are not, in any way, helping bridge the divide between races. By declaring everything in sight than can be construed as racist, racist is just being racist yourself.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Not another person screaming racism... There should be a fine for this sort of thing at this point...

/FACEDESK
    /FACEDESK
    /FACEDESK

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    What I hate is when a prominent group such as the NAACP would actually go public with this crap.
    They're in a high position of influence too, and it kills me to think that many out there actually believe this as the black majority opinion ~________~;;;;;;

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    *rolls eyes*
    That's taking things too far. A black hole is called "black" because no light escapes from it, thus creating the "colour" that represents absolute absense of colour, black.

It's like calling a "brownie" a racist thing because "black" people, aren't "black", they're a (dark) shade of brown. : <

Meh, I actually like the thought behind the card.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    No. Really. I facepalmed halfway through, people are too sensitive nowadays. > ___>;; Soon, they'll complain about chicken breasts being a legal food because a kid got horny while eating it.

Good one on the chicken. xD
    I wouldn't call this sensitivity, I'd call it immaturity. These people just wanted attention for some reason. They probably got bored. :P

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I don't get why they are so pissed off, there are no such things as "black" people anyway. There are many shades of brown skin made by pigments, but not actual black. A black hole is black, because it absorbs all light.

But really, their going to let a freakin Hallmark card offend them this much? Is anyone so hurt by it that it affects their life in some horrible way? It sounds to me like they are a group of people that sits around waiting for things to be offended by.....

Years
    Am I just completely misreading the original post or is it nothing to do with the fact it's about black holes and it's been taken off because it sounds like another word...?

Years
    Am I just completely misreading the original post or is it nothing to do with the fact it's about black holes and it's been taken off because it sounds like another word...?
    You are correct. However the NAACP did not back down when they were provided with a transcript.

Years
    1. im black

2. this is just 1 of those things i'd notice while in a Hallmark store 1 day(god knows y i'd even b there) & i'd probably tell a pal, we'd laugh, then i'd go home. no Fox news story...

3. i lol'd @ it. XD

I don't get why they are so pissed off, there are no such things as "black" people anyway. There are many shades of brown skin made by pigments, but not actual black.

i must disagree, u c i live in the south & i hav seen ppl who r BLACK. probably cuz they stayed in the sun 2 long, or some melanin disorder or something, but they r indeed black. but yea they probably took things outta proportion.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Uhhh....I thought it was currently racist to say "coloured", not "black"??

It keeps changing so much, I get confused and irritated.

Here's a rhyme, that I can't remember quite right...

"Baa, baa, black sheep, Have you any wool?
    Yes sir, yes sir, Three bags full.
    One for my master, One for my dame,
    And one for the little boy Who lives down the lane."

If you get offended get over it. It's just "black sheep" instead of "white sheep" because (I think) it's British, or if not, European, and most sheep around here are white, so it makes it more memorable to say a colour different than the norm.

Oh, and I saw a thread claiming it's racist that there aren't many people in pokemon who are dark-skinned. It's not, it's based on Japan, where they're all fairer skinned.

The whole racism thing is out of proportion, nobody claims it's racist if somebody says "I don't like you coz you're white", do they?
    It's a bit like saying men can't get sexually harassed "because we're all sex-obsessed monsters" - topic brought up on Family Guy, which I thought was very clever of them.

Oh, and back on the original topic:

IS SPACE RACIST? It's a vacuum, and if you haven't noticed coz you're in a city, go to the countryside at night. look up. Space is generally black with white bits called starts and odd-coloured bits called Mars, Venus and Jupiter hovering about in it. Somebody is probably going to complain about it. That's when we know that all sanity has left the world. It's a bit like when that woman sued McDonalds because there was no warning that her steaming, warm tea would be hot.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Firstly can all of you knuckleheads lay off my news network. Secondly I am getting sick asnd tired of you insensitive racist white folk constantly putting the NAACP down. The term is clearly racist and this whole scenario probably has Dr King turning in his grave. You are all as bad as Nixon, I swear down.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    It's humorous to me to know that most people these days still believe that words are bad... almost as if they were inherently bad. That the specific sounds coming from our mouth in the order to create a word was somehow evil in and of itself.

It's the context, people.

As for the black hole thing, it's ridiculous to the point of being insulting that this is even an issue. You never see white people complaining when a paranormal investigation team mentions "white noise", which is also synonymous to listening to a good polka or waltz.

But besides that, bigotry in this country is incredibly one-sided, I feel. Somehow the word "cracker" hasn't gained the notoriety of the infamous N-word. Why? Is it any less "bad" or insulting to say, given the correct context?

I'm against racism on all counts, but I feel its foolish that popular norm seems to dictate the various degrees of "bad". A racist remark is a racist remark, no matter what race you or the other person is, or what word you say, regardless of degree.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    Here's a rhyme, that I can't remember quite right...

"Baa, baa, black sheep, Have you any wool?
    Yes sir, yes sir, Three bags full.
    One for my master, One for my dame,
    And one for the little boy Who lives down the lane."

If you get offended get over it. It's just "black sheep" instead of "white sheep" because (I think) it's British, or if not, European, and most sheep around here are white, so it makes it more memorable to say a colour different than the norm.

Nuh-uh. You have to say 'rainbow sheep' now. >.<''
    Like you can't say blackboard anymore, and yet whiteboard is fine.

I think people mainly listen to this political correctness crap because they're scared of angering the minorities, but really, everyone has to learn to be more mature about this. It's just like, if some black people were being racist towards white people, I highly doubt it would be taken as seriously as white people being racist to black people.

This entire affair is stupid and unreasonable, and if anything, the NAACP are being more racist towards themselves by creating the entire kerfuffle.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I have three words to describe the outcry this caused:
    Only.
    In.
    America.

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhm.
    Fox crap.

If it's black, it's black.
    We're not going to call black pens something different. Srsly.

You can view anything as racist, sexist, elitist, or homophobic these days.

To me, all said in this post. It's really true that we can view anything as racist nowadays. I don't know why people still use the 'black' word. Even pokémon 'black' will generate a lot of controversy when they come to usa and europe and the name doesn't change. You'll see. This racist things make me sick, really.

Back