• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalesnik

My mom thinks I'm cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2008
    If I may ask a question....

Does "Fakemon" refer to the use of playoffs of Nintendo Pokèmon (Mewthree, Pikablu) or does it refer to made-up Pokèmon (like those that I spend several hours designing)?

'Cause I'll probably be mad if no one likes my made-up ones...

I really like fakemon, it's gives the hack a more orignal feeling, but only if they're desgined really well. And you see, that's where the problem is: Designing pokemon (and desgining them well) is a really difficult task, even Nintendo has a lot of trouble with it.

I generally am NOT a fan of D/P pokemon, i mean dialga and palkia? wtf? I wanted to throw up when I first saw them. But anyways, it seems to me that the thru out the pokemon games, they seem to get worse and worse at making them. (i still consider the orignal 150 to be the best desgins ever) It seems like nintendo has hired some 5 years old to be thier pokemon desginers now.

So what I'm really trying to say is that if Nintendo has a hard time making new ones, (with all thier experience, resources, paid professional designers) think how hard it's gonna be for the average hacker to make a complete new set of fakemon. (no offence intended)

Years
    its not that hard.
    for a normal person who finds interest in pokemon and knows the game, it wont be a problem to create an idea for a fake, i mean description, attacks and such.
    but the sprite is another thing, but if your are a decent spriter u can make a sprite as good as allmost nintedo's sprites so it wont be hard at all to make fakemons.
    i know cause im a spriter, at least i was and not a bad one. =)

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    What I don't like to see is not even smelling the maps. For example, Pokemon Quartz was the first hack completed, but Baro only changes 6 or 7 tiles in a map and edited the Pokemon. I know then weren't so many tools, but c'mon...
    He didn't even edit the connections...

Last edited:

Gold Tom

Krazier Than You
    Years
    I don't like it when hack creators say, 'Please don't blame me or critisize, it's only a beta.' Isn't that kinda the point of betas, so you can get feedback and critisism?

Hardy Har Har

Oh dear, oh my...
    Years
    what i dont want to see in a hack

In a hack, I don't want to see the following:
    1. When saving the game, instead of "Would you like to save the game" appearing in the text box, "You wanna save yo s***" appears. I don't want to see that message, it only offends others who hate vulgar/censored words in others' hacks.
    2. Too much use of Fakemon. Most people love the original Pokemon sprites than using fakes. (Using D/P sprites are okay, so D/P Pokemon are not fakes)
    3. Tile errors.
    4. Encountering a high-leveled legendary on an early stage of the game, like Kanto's Route 1. Who wants to see a Lv. 80 Giratina, for example, on Route 1?

bruom

Wee! Holidays! I'll get a Wii!
    Years
    the thing i mostly hate, that i cant support is fake pokemon. those odd creatures make real pokemon look stupid, also the normal ones are really cool, why to change 'em?

but thats not the only thing i hate in hacks. i hate

-when the legendaries can be found with no plot or story, like finding them in wild
    -when the world map is the same of the original game, even if the region itself is other
    -when you can predic what will happen in the story -or-a boring story
    -when you have to use cheats to complete the game
    -when there are "killing" glitches that can be fixied but arent
    -when the story is absurd or bizarre, like: the world was destroyed and now you live in the moon and have to find a way of going to the sun beat groudon (???)
    -when it plays with serious real life things like racism or religion

ah... thats it...

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2012
    I dont want to see anymore hacks with a well put together storyline, with horrible mapping -_-

Jamiras843

Dee-dee-dee
    Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2013
    I hate fakemon. Period. I also hate fusions. I hate Bad grammar (though i fall prey to this often), bad spelling, uber strong legendary starters, and all around bad hacks. I'm no genius when it comes to scripting or hex editing but with the number of tools available people should be able to come up with a good hack.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Ι dont like to see any pokemon in a pokemon hack! Nah kiddin um I really hate it when the story sucks but the graphics are great!

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    hmm I hate when there is a hack full of swears. Ok so few swears casualli here or there cool but hacks like welcome ******* to ****vile town my ****in mother named me ****face....SO STUPID...uhm hacks with no bacbone (like no real story just another kid with a computer) ...hackers who just want everyone to do their hack for them (like a million of them in the scrapbox) hacks that use lv2 & 3 evolutions as starters (unless the pokemon was just given a baby or evolution i.e Roselia) uhm I love originality so any hack with a well planned story that all ties together im hapopy with

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
    Years
    hmm I hate when there is a hack full of swears. Ok so few swears casualli here or there cool but hacks like welcome ******* to ****vile town my ****in mother named me ****face....SO STUPID...uhm hacks with no bacbone (like no real story just another kid with a computer) ...hackers who just want everyone to do their hack for them (like a million of them in the scrapbox) hacks that use lv2 & 3 evolutions as starters (unless the pokemon was just given a baby or evolution i.e Roselia) uhm I love originality so any hack with a well planned story that all ties together im hapopy with

I agree, QM

What annoys me is hacks that have no evidence of decent scripting, which doesn't appeal to me..a hack without scripts is like a dog without fleas!
    Recently I've started hating D/P tiles in hacks too, they're so overused

FinalEclipse

Learning to be a Tile Artist
    Years
    i hate when some author say they will include something new in the next release of their hack but when you play it the new feature is not included (How lame!!)

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
    Years
    Just something to all you fake haters out there: A hack needs Fakemon to be good in my book. Without them, it's just another boring adventure, no matter how the Pokemon are arranged, or how good the scripting is...
    So I guess I would say my 'ultimate turnoff' is a hack without Fakemon.
    Mixes don't count.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Just something to all you fake haters out there: A hack needs Fakemon to be good in my book. Without them, it's just another boring adventure, no matter how the Pokemon are arranged, or how good the scripting is...
    So I guess I would say my 'ultimate turnoff' is a hack without Fakemon.
    Mixes don't count.

Yeah, I would really agree with you. Look at Baro's Pokemon Marble. It's like a whole new adventure with new pokemon. But look at some other hacks...fakemon just spoil the game. So I'm, kind of fifty fifty with this.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I have quite a few things to moan about ;)
    Warning: Long post

-Loads of remakes of the same games. One or two is alright and if you add quite a few new things grabbing the intrest of the player, fine. But if loads of people make the exact remake of the game without adding new stuff, not many people are gonna play it.

-Curse words, racism etc. I dont expect to play a hack and somewhere start swearing at me because I bought a potion saying "What the f***, like why the f***ing potion. I like that s***." (Of course this probably wont happen.)

-Many grammar mistakes. If you have in your game "Hey, what is that guy duing over there." I guess its one even though you want to have close enough to 0. But if its something like "Hey, liek tats sumfing ovar tere. Thet guoy ovar tere doeng liek wot?" No!

-Non original hacks. Hacks saying stuff like "Fire-fire red." and having one more tree next to a house or something.O.o Thats not a hack. More like a edit.

-Drawing a scriggle and saying its a pokemon. No, it is not. It is a piece of mess probably on MS Paint.

-Claiming to be the 'best' hack ever. No hack is the best. Your just making a prat out of yourself. Asking for attention and everything.

-'Glitchy mess world.' When someone completely kills a map and says he/she made a creative map. Yeah, on or two tile errors, fine. But that is a bit overboard.

-Finally, (Yep, finally.) people saying "I'm new so please dont say bad things." Some people have to say bad things, its life. People critize on everything and the sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll find life easier to live.

Thats my five cents. :D

Last edited:

Teh Baro

In my times...!
    Years
    I don't like it when hack creators say, 'Please don't blame me or critisize, it's only a beta.' Isn't that kinda the point of betas, so you can get feedback and critisism?

Also, all the hacks are betas, except less than 10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back