• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevre90210

insert title here <----
Years
  • I concur with the above,some people just make it too easy. I'd rather "white out" and grind through the game than have it finished in under 4 hours because someone decided that my starter was a lvl100 Cyndaquil.

gothic.child

Knock three times on my coffin
    Years
  • I hate it

What I hate is people using rombases for their hacks. For god sake make your own tiles, I don't care if its a yellow block and a red triangle for a house, just change them!!! I hate of seeing D/P tiles and overworld sprites(the hero overworld sprite). The Pokemon from 252 to 493, you can trace most of them back to the first 251 Pokemon. The fact that bug Pokemon are so weak, and that most of their moves are crap. Next Fakemon, ones that look like nintendo's Pokemon (adding a couple of things on, changing the colours and fusion Pokemon are just bad, so why do it in the the first place). Oak's intro not changed, as well is the title screen. Grass tile changed, but not the animation for it. I think that all roms hacks should be hard, but not hard like you have to train for hours just to beat one person, and then do it again for the next. Their needs to be puzzles in their, and battles that make you think, if not its just train in the grass and then just beat people, and thats all that you can do...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Poor story line or one thats lets you do nothing but the story line. In game jokes are crap, if we want jokes we be on a joke site, not playing hack rom. Hacks with jokes in it, means that the hack is a joke if you know what I mean. Thats all for now.

poddish

Spirit Of Radio
    Years
  • Hacks with glitches or spelling errors that hurt game play. ie. a normal tile that forces you to move and the creator didn't intend for it; a spelling error that causes you to think they ment something completly different than intended and confuses the player later

hacks that say they are completly new but are only minor edits like the towns barley changed, or only the text is edited but doesn't seem like the change was worthwhile.

Hacks that only change the wild pokemon.

Hacks that have alot of the same events that were already there, but few new ones.

Hacks that go un finished because the hacker got bored or they got tired of the cluttered 1st generation roms, or the lack of space in emerald.

most g/s/c remakes They usualy only go up so far then stop at an unusual spot and never get finished Shiny gold is good though...

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
  • I'm sure I said this in this thread earlier, but I just despise hacks like this:

"LEIK JOO CAN GETS ALL DA 386 POKEMON AND SOME D/P ONES 2, AND YOU CAN GO FROM HOENN TO KANTO, AND THE SEVII ISLANDS ARE REPLACED WITH THIS RANDOM THING AND" blah blah, etc.

Oh, not to mention hacks that blind you with all caps like Rant A there.

And if that wasn't bad enough, there's those hacks that have absolutely no story at all and the goal of the game is "keep your level 10 Magicarp you get in Pallet Town alive, while crossing a bunch of glitched garbage tiles to Indigo Plateau. Oh, and level 100 Mewtwos and Ho-ohs are everywhere." Seriously, I've seen those.

I think that's enough for now.

dragpyre

The Brother's Fight For Hell
    Years
  • Things that annoy me in a hack hmmmm...
    1. Storylines which are pointless
    2. games which have nothing to do with pokemon, like the version which someone created in the year 2000 or something and called it Pokemon diamond which involved ringing up fakemon and getting their number (grrrrr)
    3. unfinished hacks
    4. hacks which never get made
    5. grammar is bad
    6. script errors. shiny gold has about 2 or 3 but they're basically insignificant. go shiny gold!!!!
    7. Profanity like "my pikachu is going to zap the s*** out of you totadile, you M*****-******* ***t." "Oh but totadile has this awesome d*** attack which will **** your stupid little t*** of a pikachu up."
    (sorry for my very long profanity example)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Sure, I don't like what most of you said, either. But, for some things, I have to argue. Some small things, such as the title screen, aren't going to be a major priority for all hackers.

And people who can't sprite just can't geta new hero until they find a good spriter. Normally not on anyone's priority until they get past a least one beta.

Those two things are really TINY compared to the two most important facts in a hack:mapping and scripting.

Face it, you're not goin to be staring at the Titlescreen all day. And Red isn't that weird-looking.

If anyone says they don't like hacks that are unfinished, you try finish a hack, eh?

Ok, I've done my picking at stuff, there ya go.

Years
  • [*]script errors. shiny gold has about 2 or 3 but they're basically insignificant. go shiny gold!!!!
    Shiny Gold has far more than two or three.
    Okay, this is more about hacking, but do you know what I hate? People who say they dislike bad grammar in hacks, and then use poor grammar in their posts. Hypocrites.

Last edited:

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Like the bad grammar you used there?
    Okay this more about hacking
    Anyway i hate swearing and really obvious tile errors.

Last edited:

DARKSHADE

Waiting.. In the Shadows..
    Years
  • lol yeah u did use bad grammar

OK THINGS I HATE IN HACKS:
    fakemon: i dont care wether theyre sprites up to the eyeballs i dont like them!!

walking into peoples houses: as said before,maybe u should ring the doorbell of a house then you get to enter it...

bad grammar: yeah doesnt everyone

inserting D/P pokemon: whats the point????????

D/P TILES: everyone uses them!!!!! (i use platinum trees, d/p trees, d/p sand, d/p grass (recolored)...)

so yeah thats pretty much it....

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
  • walking into peoples houses: as said before,maybe u should ring the doorbell of a house then you get to enter it...

But that's a general RPG cliche, so that can't be hacked around easily, and could crash the game if it was implemented.

The profanity thing is something else I really can't stand. I won't say "unless its a hack made for ages that use it" because the first thing most people do is abuse hacking tools just to fill the game with profanity every two words.

I also hate when people steal ideas from other people's horrible hacks and put it in theirs. If it failed the first time, it won't work the next time.

EDIT: And hacks that use chatspeak and 1337, unless its part of a bad joke that's good enough for a small chuckle. Like my hack which is at 1%.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • lol yeah u did use bad grammar

OK THINGS I HATE IN HACKS:
    fakemon: i dont care wether theyre sprites up to the eyeballs i dont like them!!

walking into peoples houses: as said before,maybe u should ring the doorbell of a house then you get to enter it...

bad grammar: yeah doesnt everyone

inserting D/P pokemon: whats the point????????

D/P TILES: everyone uses them!!!!! (i use platinum trees, d/p trees, d/p sand, d/p grass (recolored)...)

so yeah thats pretty much it....

Darkshade, no matter how bad thethethethe's grammar was, it's nowhere near yours. And you're one of those hypocrites that the's talking about. Gees.
    And also, where IS that bad grammar, may I ask? When he used hypocrite as the only word in a sentence?

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Darkshade, no matter how bad thethethethe's grammar was, it's nowhere near yours. And you're one of those hypocrites that the's talking about. Gees.
    And also, where IS that bad grammar, may I ask? When he used hypocrite as the only word in a sentence?

He skipped one word and I just decided to annoy him a bit.
    By the way i missed one letter on that post.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Skipping a word is NOT bad grammar. Well, at least his is a hell of a lot better than most people here.

This is goin offtopic so here's another one:

No so much to do with hacking, but I hate it when the creator can't take constructive criticism. It's pretty rare in hacks, but still. Oh, I also really, really hate hypocrites and people who randomly flame or are rude to other people. Or just don't follow the rules. Well, if the author irks me, I probably won't see the hack.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    I HATE really really stupid people posting i hate the maps or the whole idea of the hack without saying why.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Though that has nothing to do with any hack itself, unless they're a hacker.

EDIT: A fix for the door problem. Well, some people are generally kind so they let people in. And then there are houses with locked doors. Make a signpost. Oh, and people can be surprised that you entered with exclamation marks above their heads!

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Well lets get back on topic
    I hate it when people claim to have great stuff but it's just a game edit

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • i want trying to write in good grammar so i dont care
    he was so i was proving a point!
    get off my back!

and stop going off-topic
    If you don't TRY to write in good grammar, you shouldn't expect others to. You shouldn't say you don't like hacks with bad grammar.
    Yeah, let's stop arguing.

Hmmm... I hate it when people use swearing to gain popularity in a hack. Dunno how it works but yeah. Quartz was swear-filled but I loved every minute of it. So, it's not always swearing that can be bad, it's really how it's used. Quartz owned.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    Personally, I hate the recycled: Kid gets first POKéMON, beats GYMS, stops Team X's plan to use a Legendary POKéMON for their own gain, and beats the Elite Four.

It works for the official games, because they're cool like that. XP.

But, in hacks, just no. Seriously, let's think logically. In the series, the CHAMPION is the strongest person in the region, and yet a kid who's had their POKéMON a few days beats them? Maybe a shockingly skilled trainer, but when EVERY new trainer is ultra-skilled and can take down the Elite Four, isn't that going to far? Take the anime. Ash has been training for years, but he's still several levels below the Elite Four.

As for the legendary POKéMON. Just how many evil teams in the world have access to ways to summon legendaries, and have the power to control them?

Then, there is also grammar. I hate seeing "lol, look its d pikachu. it use thundershok on muh! ouch." or any thing with similar grammar in a hack. It's degrading. Not only to yourself, but to the POKéMON community as a whole. I've actually seen Anti-POKéMON people cite hacks with horrendous grammar as one of the 'sympoms' of POKéMON - idiocy. Is that a good idea? No.

Let's see... Inside jokes, DP Tiles, DP POKéMON... Yes, let's go with that. People originally used DP POKéMON because it was cool. Why was it cool? Because it was unique and uncommon. Now... It's uncommon to not see them. If the reason they were cool was because they were unique, if everyone uses them, doesn't that make it uncool and overused? In my book it does.

CSS Threads. Too common, and overused. Same way as DP POKéMON.

People who use 'I'm new to hacking,' as an excuse to make simple scripts with obvious errors, like:
    Code:
    #org $My fish
    lock
    faceplayer
    message $A
    boxset 6
    release
    end

#org $A
    $A 1 =Hi.\nI lost my fish.\nCan you help me?
    Those that missed it, there are two errors. Repeated use of \n and space within the pointer. I havn't seen this particular script, obviously. Also, it's getting better since the introduction of XSE, but still...

Oh, and who doesn't love title screens that have been editted - but not the title screen pallets? Venusaur-green, and Charizard-red, are not universal colors...

...Or worse yet, using different colors, and causing the pink to show up - without fixing it.

Linearity. I hate linearity. Give us some choice.

Re-used scripts. Obviously, you need to reuse POKéCENTER, and HM scripts, but random trainers? Just no.

Abandonment. I hate seeing a promise hack discontinued because of disinterest. If you aren't truly interested in finishing it, don't start it.

Professors. I've seen several Prof. Pine's. Overused. How about a female professor name Prof. Kauri? I've never seen that.

Pallet edits for the sake of pallet edits. In Naranja, it makes sense to have alternate colors as the main color - that's cannon. But... randomly making a Beedrill black with yellow stripes just for the sake of having a Black Beedrill with yellow stripes is bad. If the Beedrill had been genetically altered... Then it would make sense. But, when done for no reason, pallet edits are bad.

I'll add more, eventually.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back