• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Peeash! I remembered one.

When a hack-maker hardly knows ANY hacking and starts a hack. Their mapping is normally absolutely horrendous and, while they're enthusiastic in learning, they don't get very far. Please, learn some stuff first.

Then, there's the opposite. A hack-maker knows some stuff in one area, but absolutely mus'n't do anything else for fear of their head A Sploding and they won't work without a team. They don't even try to learn. That's sort of a bit extreme, I know, but it gets like that. The worse part is their hack goes nowhere, not even to their specialty, until the team is fully ready.

Oh, and then there's a hacker who is good at mapping but absolutely won't learn scripting. It's okay the other way around because everyone has their own mapping style and one perosn's may not be as nice-looking, but scripting is literally learning a bunch of words.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    The 3 things that very much annoy me:

1. Mapping Errors. These are annoying as the tiles could look weird, or you can walk on water...
    2. Spriting Errors or poor spriting. If you use custom sprites, make them look good, if you can't stop spriting. Simple as. If there are any errors, change them as soon as you notice, and add shading...
    3. Scripting Errors. if any script goes wrong, that is a no-no. If you have the writing of jumbled words in a script error, change it BEFORE releasing...

darksword45

JURASSIC PARK SURVIVOR
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2008
    Does games with storys not related to pokemon count? (ex. my work in progress, JURASSIC PARK: pokemon edition!.)

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    @Darksworld45: I'd say no, because it could still have some pokemon in there. Plus, Pokemon Yugioh Edition. In fact, I (and others most likely) think that's very creative.

@babyfireball77: That post was utter spam. PC doesn't allow that.

Anyways, some things I hate:

Obvious Errors: You know, script errors? Tile errors?
    Weird events: "Go walk on that cloud. You'll be fine." *walks on cloud* *falls* Dumb events like that pretty much.

Fakemon: Unless they are well-done (not grilled well-done :P), I don't care for them. Most of them are just tiny edits of existing pokemon. Come on people!! Put some thought into it!

darksword45

JURASSIC PARK SURVIVOR
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2008
    yeah, actually im planning on using the same game play as pokemon (emerald as base. srry changed it) but not really any pokemon (though i might have an area where you could get some). is that still considered as a pokemon hack at all?

Last edited:

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2012
    A. I like new pokemon (fakemon is a non-used term with me)
    B. Remakes are awsome, look how popular Zel is
    C Parts of other regions is amazing, that's one of the reasons why brown and prism are popular 'cause they are linked up and contain un-edited parts of these regions.

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
    A lot of real games have bad event scripting in them, like in Final Fantasy VI, where you fight Ifrit and Shiva. It's scripted to send you flying to the right when you examine Ifrit, but if you examine him from his left side you go through him. But that's beside the point.

A REALLY annoying thing I see in hacks is the fact that it seems like a great game all the way through, but then you walk into Veridian City placed as the Pokemon League in Ruby, and there is some minor map change to make a very disturbing image.

And also, tall grass inside the starting town. Maybe its fine in later towns, where you actually have Pokemon, but not where you can find the Placeholder Pokemon. And the fact that these tall grass areas hold every starter Pokemon and Mew. Put Bill's secret garden in Bill's house, not Prof. Oak's lab.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2013
    i don't like hacks with the snow patch the first one was cool, but it out of hand now

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Yah know, DP Pokemon are now starting to turn me off. Unless they are molded perfectly into a game, random DP Pokemon are boring. So are D/P tiles, unless it's the city road tiles, because they look cool. xD

Rafulogics

ROM Hacker
    Years
    I really get angry of these tile errors! They're allready annoing in un-ready versions but do they have to be in "Ready" versions...

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2009
    unoriginality really bothers me. because, well, you know. it has been mentioned here over and over. only minor or no changes to some things… that makes some things too easy and obvious.
    also, fakemons are okay, as long as they are well done, look good, and don't look like original pokemon.

Donnie

the popstar that never was
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 22, 2013
    biggest turnoffs:
    (i play hacks for fun, i dont care about tile errors and whatnot)

horrid storyline

no change in OW hero/heroine

change in OW hero/heoroine but no actuall sprite of it

no change in starters(if had to chose between a squirtle,bulbasaur or charmander 50 times, gimme something new!)

(not as much but) same starting point,

(very much) no addition maps, as in custom-made maps for your starting point or a whole new regoin

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    Me trashing 95% of the hacks on this site? Damn, I only meant for that post to trash 90% of the hacks on this site.

I only trash hacks that deserve to be trashed, like remakes by "people" who don't know what the hell they're doing and people who sprout obvious lies just to get people interested.

This topic's title is "The Ultimate Turnoff - What you don't want to see in a hack." and I put my opinion in it. I want people to try NEW things instead of things people have done over and over and over and over and OVER (like remakes).

People are scared to try new things because they're afraid they might fail. So instead, they copy other ideas that they know is already popular so they'll make sure people like their hack. This needs to stop.

I totally agree with you on that statement. I'm trying to create a hack that would have more story and substance than the D/P/P generation. Also I think that if you want to introduce fakemon ,then atleast attempt to make them look in the sugimori style. For example in hack, people should try to go into the various niches that were not filled yet such as island regions , more prehistoric and recently discovered animal Pokemon ,and maybe even a new system of catching Pokemon. i refer to that concept as Pokedrive, which you set how many Pokemon you catch can be in your party before they go straight into the PC Cloud , where you can basicly swap Pokemon without going to a Pokemon Center.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
    As a new hacker i understand that it is not really easy to create a script when you don't know how. But I think ahead and instead of just putting up a hack and say wow look at this i plan to make a beta first before i release it or anything. (If i ever make one.) People should make a small release first before they release anything. What I hate the most is how people ask "please give your opinion to my hack" when there is no hack to play for an opinion Also not every one is good a spelling (really thats what spell check is for) Most people reuse little scripts of someone saying "I'm spraying repel to keep away the spearow" really it has nothing to do with the story why do you care that much.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Hey, I don't see why "A mix of RSE and FRLG tiles" is a turnoff. I use both, and I've only got positive reactions. :\
    Agreed. I, myself, think they look very good together.

Turnoff: Bad Grammar. How effing hard is it to use some decent dialect? Not too hard. For real, ya n00bs.

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
    A big turnoff is strings of text which consistently leave garbage data onto the end of text data and they wind up placing the text in odd positions throughout the screen. Incoherent bits of original text left over also make me go "eugh."

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
    Here's one that really gets on my nerves that I don't think anyone else has pointed out:

Misuse of "\n", "\l", and "\p" in a script.

Seriously, only use "\n" and then a "\l" if necessary in-between "\p"s. If you take a good look at the scripts in the original games, they never go any farther than that. I'm sick of seeing people use multiple "\l"s in a row, or even (god forbid) several "\n"s in succession. It looks incredibly unprofessional and it causes my enjoyment of playing a hack to suffer as it becomes boring to scroll through these long textboxes. Because of the unlimited space for text provided by this error, you are more tempted to create run-on sentences if you can type for as long as you want. But if you are limited to a certain space, you have to choose your words wisely (like a haiku), making the game more aesthetically and linguistically appealing.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back