• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2011
    Take the anime. Ash has been training for years, but he's still several levels below the Elite Four.

That's because their anime is their business. They need to keep it going in order for the $ to flow in.

In the case of a ROM, the player can reach the end of the game in a few hours/days because there is a limit to ROM hacking. You can't go on and make the game several years long, as long as Ash has been training. That ROM would take 93105859013 years to make.

---

What I don't want to see in a hack:

1. Pointless tunnels/caves that are laid in a maze, that take you hours to walk through to find that it is a dead end.
    2. Rayquaza/Deoxys encountered while taking a stroll along Route 1
    3. Copied and pasted graphics (e.g. Oak's head on Gary's body, etc.)
    4. Grunts, especially with Zubat and Golbat and Raticate, etc.
    What I want to see in a hack:

1. Simplicity. Nintendo intended to make Pokemon simple. That's how Pokemon gained popularity. Simple gameplay, simple interaction.
    2. [PLAYER]'s mom doing something else than healing you.
    3. [PLAYER]'s dad actually appearing. (Like in R/S/E)
    4. The evil organization actually doing something evil, like destroying towns.
    5. Pokemon following player around. (e.g. Heart Gold/Soul Silver)
    6. The player actually doing normal stuff such as sleeping and eating.
    7. Good Fakemon.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    I have to disagree with the list on the first post here's what I agree with

1. Grammar
    - major and repeating grammar mistakes
    - missing punctuation
    - mispelled words
    - using "internet slang" in hacks (example: "your" is spelled like "ur")

2. Mapping- tile errors
    - bare and/or unoriginal maps
    - maps that have obvious similarities to the originals (example: you can tell that that was once Pewter City and you just made slight changes)

3. Storyline
    - The repetitive Nintendo storyline
    - Underdeveloped storylines
    - Storylines that fade or seem to go away during a hack
    - People who have no reason to give you items or Pokemon but do so anyway
    - People who know that you have to save and force you to do so (example: the Battle Frontier receptionists who force you to save your life without a real reason.)

4. Graphics, Sprites, & Tiles
    - Tiles that don't flow well together
    - Unattractive or unnatural looking palettes (example: red grass which would not appear naturally due to the fact that chlorophyll absorbs red light and almost none of it is reflected back.)
    - Hacks based soley on a graphic, tile, or palette changes

6. Miscellaneous
    - Remakes
    - Too many or too strong trainers and/or wild Pokemon
    - unattractive hack threads

Here's what I don't agree with and why

- maps that have obvious similarities to the originals (example: you can tell that that was once Pewter City and you just made slight changes) /// as long as you don't have to go through the maps they are based off of then it's fine

3. Storyline
    - The repetitive Nintendo storyline /// Please tell me you're joking?

- People who are aware that they are in a game (example: the man who gives you Eevee on top of Celadon Mansion in R/G/B/Y/FR/LG) - It's the 4th wall, it's meant to be broken and when done right it can cause a lot of humor... don't believe me? look at Deadpool from marvel comics

4. Graphics, Sprites, & Tiles
    - A mix of R/S/E and FR/LG tiles and Overworlds /// I don't get it why not?

- Minor sprite changes (example: a person who looks almost exactly like Brock but with minor changes) /// Why do people even care?

5. Pokemon
    - Pokemon that are too strong to be found in early parts of the game (example: a wild Skarmory on the first route) /// as long as you have the power to beat or catch it I could care less

- Use of Fakemon /// As long as they are related to existing pokemon other than plotwise then it's fine

- Use of unrealistic Fakemon /// See use of fakemon

- Ledgendaries introduced too early or ones that can be found wild on routes See Pokemon that are too strong to be found in early parts of the game

6. Miscellaneous
    - straying too far from Nintendo's standards (example: extreme cases of violence, profanity, and other morally debatable topics) /// wait now that I think about it I agree...

- Repetitve regions (i.e. the same regions that were covered in Nintendo's games with no/minor edits) /// hey as long as we don't have to go through the same or similar regions over and over or more than once I could care less

- Rushed Gyms, Storylines, etc. /// As a cheater I could care less :P

- Too many or too strong trainers and/or wild Pokemon /// given the power to beat them IDC

- hackers that put themselves and their work down (example: "I am a n00b and this is my first hack so go easy on me.) /// Because half the time it's the truth

E3DaMeX

Grammar mistakes, weird Pokemon and bad storyline really make it worse for me. That's about all I can think of.

snap12

Billie Jean is not my lover
    Years
  • i hate when i am talking to someone and they walk away or turn around. doesnt happen that often i guess though...

NatureKeeper

1- Editions of FireRed: People went crazy after they took the note Shiny Gold was based on it.

2- Mapping or Tiling Errors: They really annoy

3- Advanced Scripting Error that might freeze the game or stop the storyline and flags.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • what I hate is, ledgendarys (if there's only one in the world then what are the chances that you will find it?), a lack of that fine balance between simplicity and complexity//there is some thing in all noobs that makes them want to over pack maps, and you do need some of this to make a game good. there is also something that makes vetrans over simplify maps. the final thing is that the tiles in a lot of hacks don't get change which makes even a good game a boar.

Ephraim

I am no servant.
    Years
  • -I'm kind of biased when it comes to grammar. Minor grammar mistakes are fine. Be it the spelling or the grammar itself. But when it comes to massive grammar issues, playing the hack kind of gets awkward.

-Too many Fakemon. The Pokemon world already has enough Pokemon in the franchise. Leave it to Nintendo to add more. Good Fakemons are fine. Just, not too many of them.

-Generic storyline. Where you wake up, go downstairs and do your usual routine of picking your starter, then becoming the Pokemon Master.

-Bugs/Glitches, self-explanatory.

-Awkward Map designs. " ".

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    imba long cut scenes!!! I want to play not wait for 3 minutes!!!

"People who have no reason to give you items or Pokemon but do so anyway"
    - RIP Pokemon Yellow's Charmander give away

monkeyman2092

Aipom Awesome!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2009
    Let's see... What I hate in a hack?

When things that are cut off can be seen past the top of it.
    Scripts that don't work
    Texts getting mixed up together

Sleepwalker

Some Kind Of Monster
    Years
  • What I absolutely hate in hacks:

When they state there's 386 Pokémon - Your not supposed to know (Even though we do). Your supposed to play to find out. That ruins the point in the Pokédex.

Grammer - Why would anyone even want bad grammer?

Storyline - When the creater doesn't go deep enough with his story. (Example of bad: Our goal is to capture Kyogre and flood the world.)

Years
  • ... Isn't that spelling? *shot for being a wise-ass*

Taken from dictionary.net
    1. The science which treats of the principles of language; the study of forms of speech, and their relations to one another; the art concerned with the right use and application of the rules of a language, in speaking or writing.
    That includes spelling and punctuation if I'm not mistaken.
    *Disappears before being shot for being a bigger wise-ass*

I'm just sick of seeing the same thing over and over and over again. I hate seeing one original idea pop up, and then viewing copies follow soon after. So I'm tired of seeing people attempting to replicate what were original ideas.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2009
    I won't want to see:
    Bad spelling/grammar (Examples: Wat is ur name? or You can have this berries!)
    Too much curse words (Example: F*ck! You f*cking stole my Pokemon! YOU ARE AN *SSHOLE DIE AND GO TO HELL!)
    Ugly kinds of fakemon (Example: Just a stick figure and the evolution is still a stick figure only this time it's green. Lame.)
    Boring storyline

That's all I can think of now...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back