• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Turnoff - What You Don't Want to See in a Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
  • Well, I've played many hacks, and they've all inspired me with ideas for my first hack.

But, they have also given me ideas on what NOT to do with my first hack.

For starters, Pokemon Ruby Destiny: Reign of Legends, was an amazing hack! It had so many cool features, epic boss battles, and fun gameplay. But, it was like Ruby/Sapphire too much. It seemed like playing through Ruby with a different plot, and a slightly different world. But overall, it was a great hack.

My MAJOR turn-off in a hack, is Grammar. I am a Grammar Nazi, and as many other people have said, we don't like to see people giving your items or pokemon for random reasons, especially in text talk. "OMG HERE HERE HERE!!!!! THIZ IZ LEGEND POKE CALL ARCEUS HE THE MOST 1337 POKE HE HAS ALL TYPES LOL! TAKE HIM NOWWWWWW HE COOL BUT IT A SECRET!" That just kills me when I see crap like that.

Another Major turn-off in a hack for me, is what the post above me said. "
    For me it would be the whole "legendary pokemon is being kidnapped/harnessed by a bad group" storyline. It just isn't very interesting" I completely agree! That's the same old storyline. In my hack, I am revolving it around Deoxys, but that's not the evil team's main motive for the whole story. That's their final plan. Their other plans are leading up to that, but the whole story isn't focused around that. I can't stand it when the plot is just "Beat 7 badges, go beat the evil team and catch the legendary, then get badge 8 and beat the E4. Go catch some secret Legendaries, and you're done."

Another thing is that I can't stand the whole 8 badges/E4 deal. There needs to be some creativity in that area of the plot. I'm thinking about taking them out, and finding another way around that issue.

Lastly, HMs. I really want to find a way to script Key Items, to make them do the same thing as an HM. Such as an axe for Cut, or a small Paddle Boat/Raft for Surf. I really think that would add creativity to the hack.

That's all of my complaints. I hope that some of you share the same opinions as me.

Ohg- that hurts. Don't change your text colour, please. On Pawlicious, that's horrible. T_T

Oh, and "major" shouldn't be capitalised.

And some things about your storyline hates - the whole badges/E4 deal is usually used badly in conjunction with the legendaries story. If it's all alone, which is really original, actually, it can be used really well. An example would be in the Rijon Trilogy.

pressedlee

Dark-Souled Hacker
    Years
  • Fakemon.

There is simply something about these creatures that instantly turn me away from a hack. I can handle one (at the very most) in a game. There are already 490-something Pokemon; I do not need 386 more...

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    1. Fakemon- Just.... Fakemon- They Annoy Me
    2. The Fact That There's 27 Hacks Of The Second Gen, And 16 Hacks Of Those Hacks
    3. Grammar- omg i lieks hates dits shiz when da pplz ahre lieks alls and talkins like this in da gamez an shiz
    And the Most Important------
    Spoiler:

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
    Years
  • So there's this hero and Team OMG is out to destroy the world and kill pokemon, and you need to kill them all!! MUFUFU.
    oh.. and mine as well collect 8 badges for the hell of it.. cause I have to. Dunno what that has to do with SAVING THE WORLD.

"Dur u r a pkmen mast0r hu save z the world, mi hak is supa specila"

there's more, but I'll rant about that stuff later.

-haha those made me laugh

-back on topic. i know these have been said but i would like to repeat
    1.i think fakemon that arent professionally done really make me not want to play a hack,not meaning to put ppl down but if you cant make a good one, then learn how to sprite and try again

2. maps that are either similar to the actual game, or are like a perfect square...in my opinion even making a few trees sticking out of the border and a flower garden in the middle of town is better than how most maps are just plain with a few houses a gym and pokecenter/marts and all the buildings are in a perfect line.

3. I hate a hack that has absolutely no storyline at all, or the hacks that follow the typical get 8 badges, beat elite four, finish final dungeon story. Some of my favorite hacks such as prism and a few others have side quests(although what cbm did with sending out pokemon to do sidequests is a lil hard to learn how to do it shows how much he worked on it)

4. i really really dont like having the same starters from any of the generations... its too much like the actual games to start with a fire a water or a grass type...although its semi difficult to find three good starters that would match up pretty well at the least avoid using those types... and if you can do the scripting it would be nice to include even more choices or maybe have it where you start with a pokemon that was handed down through your family or something...

5. change how the buildings look on the inside... having to look at the same pokemart or pokemon center in every town is very very boring, change it up maybe make the store bigger and add in another cashier or add a side area where theres like a small restaurant or something, even if theres nothing to do in the side room its more appealing

6. Change the events and the region...dont stick to kanto and having mewtwo cave after beating elite four, or having deoxys come down and stop groudon and kyogre from fighting... its too similar to the real games

7. Lastly, typos are farely annoying, if you can make a hack you should know proper grammar as well, i might not use proper grammer here but in any hack i make i always make sure it looks proffesionally done

8. o and also back to the starter thing, dont make people start with a crappy pokemon either such as rattata or zubat...no offense to the hack i saw that in, but if i dont like the starting, i wont play longer than an hour

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • I hate hacks that have there storyline jump all over the place. " well you're walking down a road when all of a sudden some attaks you and you go uncinscious. then when you wake up you naked in a room and there all of these people there"...? wth

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    I'm actually fine with a lot of the things that bug people. Hell, I'm working on a Fakemon 'Dex for a hack, I sure don't have a problem with new Pokemon showing up. What I do have a problem with is when the Fakemon just...don't look like Pokemon. And that seems to be the common trend, unfortunately. The Sugimori/Pokemon design style isn't tough to get the hang of, but people insert creatures that just don't belong in these games.

The other big thing that bugs me is when it's wildly obvious you're playing a modded game. Remnants of the original game are my biggest pet peeve...like the Oak's Parcel quest, the Birch Getting Attacked By Poochyena, and others of the kind. If you're going to make a hack, make a hack. Come up with a storyline and do it. A hack shouldn't be built on "oh, what can I change this event into?", it should be "oh, how can I make this happen with the script commands I've got?"

Fendaril

Novice Mario 64 hacker.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2010
    This for me is a super turnoff. I go into a thread that has 20 pictures in it of the new "hack" being released. Their is no beta for over a year and oh look..... the original person of the thread decided that he wants to quit the hack. What was the point of getting everyone excited. Seriously if your going to make it to the hack showcase don't be a lazy jerk about it.

1.I can't say this enough times. PLEASE do not post unless you have the intention of FINISHING your hack. Really you can't wait a while until you get a playable beta out before making a decorative and overused css post?

For those of you like ninja who say that things come up that is very true but still. I can make 1 or two maps with some wild pokemon and spend an hour decorating a post with css and say im coming out with pokemon (some weird comination of colors and stones) and then a week later say i'm quitting. Then a week later saying im making another hack. Like seriously

There was this one guy named SSJ Furutman who must have made like 3 or 4 advertisements for hacks. Then come back a day later and say 'nvm i quit this hack lemme start another" and never even come out with an alpha. Then he just said "screw you" and left pokecommunity. People like him push me to the edge.

Im not a hypocrite either. I would NEVER post a hack without some beta to show for no matter what.

All im saying is not to waste the mods time approving and moving your post if you have no other intention other then getting attention for yourself.

2.Hacks that start off in littleroot tile hacked town. I turn the game right off after that. Seriously when I think of a pokemon hack I think of someone who spends effort learning about scripting and figuring out how to rehaul the game completely. This is why i love coolboyman and jagold. They all took the extra step to not reuse scripts but make their own from scratch no matter how long it took.

3.legendaries from D/P games crammed into R/S hacks. This is by far the most annoying thing I encountered. It becomes too easy to beat the game when you can catch darkrai palkia and diagla all before the elite 4.

4. Evil player hacks. Seriously all of them i have seen basically are overworld edits with some modification of scripts. Sorry pokemon topaz(even tho i loved your hack otherwise).

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • For those of you like ninja who say that things come up that is very true but still. I can make 1 or two maps with some wild pokemon and spend an hour decorating a post with css and say im coming out with pokemon (some weird comination of colors and stones) and then a week later say i'm quitting. Then a week later saying im making another hack. Like seriously

Shooot, that was directed at me, wasn't it? T_T

Fendaril

Novice Mario 64 hacker.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2010
    yes but not in a bad way. I know how hard it is to make a hack but saying your going to make one and then quit it a week later. Sooo not in agreement with that.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    When I can't choose the starter, or when half of it is in English. Really chaps my a$$.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I don't mind so much if you can see the original town still . I don't mind if it only has a few mapedits either , sure they are probably not great but stlill worth playing ^^. I don't like hacks that are texted badly . I also don't like bad sprites but who after all does xD.
    I don#t like if it is over too fast but well that my own fault rather xD.

TehBazzard

Main creator of FireRed+
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2009
    (yes, I prefer Wind Waker to Ocarina).
    You aren't the only one my friend. Although I preferred The Majora's Mask over everything else Zelda.
    Anyways, hacks that try mature themes but don't pull it off too well. I mean sure, almost everyone that I know that loves pokemon would love to see an entry in the series that takes on mature tones, but it needs to be done right for me or else I just find it dumb. I am sorta nutral on fakemon, but as long as it is DECENT, well balanced, looks good, and no original pokemon are removed, then yeah I'm fine, but even then I'd only play the hack in private to avoid my brother looking at it and making an insult at it.
    Kinda off topic here, after reading some of you guys's posts, I'm concerned for my hack lol. My hack is really just an expansion to FireRed, by adding in a lot of side-quests and allowing all 386 pokemon to be cought. I never planned on changing the game in its pre-E4 areas...

Years
  • Hacks are good, but I hate certain aspects..
    For example, my biggest pet peeve is First Person speech. It's the most un-Pokemonly thing ever, tbh, and is easily avoided. I mean, they don't do it in the official games, and that's at least one thing i'd like to see carried on into hacks.
    Another thing.. Spriting: when edit's are painfully obvious. Now, spriting can be tricky, and I can relate, as I edit myself. But, if you do edit, use at least 3 sprites, to make the new sprite look original. Recolours= bad, IMO.
    And.. Remakes, specifically Yellow.
    PIKACHU CANNOT FOLLOW, just wait for HG/SS, as they're remakes of better games than Yellow, anyways.
    I don't really mind GS remakes, but ShinyGoldX B.5 peeved me off a bit, it was so hard, lol.

DemonParia

Gangsterfresh Swagmaster
    Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2015
    When someone uses the ! box, and they don't make it wait, like, they'll be surprised, and then they'll do something instantly without waiting for the box to go away.

That makes me want to kill people. Lead developer people. Who make hacks.

Makeshiftj

The Ninja
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    I have played quite a lot of hacks in my time and what i personally hate is when people leave the start of the game the same you know when the proffeser is talking To you . And also when The have terrible looking Fakemon that puts me of complety . Then there some hacks that are in spanish.and lastly putting random pokemon where there shouldn't be. I once played a hack with a lvl 70 pokemon next to an lvl 8 pokemon !

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Then there some hacks that are in spanish.

Did it ever occur to you that that is their language, and they haven't had it translated yet? You cannot say that is a turn off, as people make English hacks, but others cannot understand it as much. Patience is required.

I hate the use of bad grammar. Also, the script quality and maps and Tiles... Lots of things, but if they don't edit the tiles, I don't really care - it is just if they make them so bad...

OM3GA Umbr30n

Was Mazot2
    Years
    • Age 26
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 3, 2010
    One thing i hate which ive seen in shiny gold is where you get a pokemon battle just as you enter/leave the begining town at the begining.

Panschop19

Gimme da pasta
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2009
    I hate when the hacks come with a ****** presentation like if made in paint.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back