• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Unpopular Opinion

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
Years
  • Do you have anything in which you normally differ with most people pokemon-wise?
    Why not post about your opinions on the Pokemon Universe (Games, Anime, Manga) that others probably won't agree with.

I'd really like to know!

• Pokemon Blue is the first VG I finished. I hated the amount of bugs in the game, story wise the game was awesome (I was also around 6), but it's a game I don't really play again.
    • I like the Pokemon from first two generations most (because most of my favorites are there).
    • Design-wise, I think Pokemon from the 4th and 5th generation are okay.
    • Gen 1 and 2 pokemon VG were the one's with the best stories.
    • I really can't stand eevee and the eeveelutions.
    • I don't like how Moltres looks like.
    • I don't like Chikorita nor the evolution line.
    • I really dislike how Game Freak always makes a new useless pokemon to catch at the start of the game for every generation (rattata, sentret, zigzagoon...) I think I'd rather re-use.
    • I think Gen 3 starters are horrible, I played through the game without using the starter.
    • Even tho I generally like the whole creationism theme around pokemon and the history that's been made for it, the Regigigas and the Regis' point is kinda lame.
    • Deoxys design... Don't like it a bit.
    • Dislike how the number of Dragon pokemons has increased in the last gens.
    • The evolutions made for tangela, magmar and elektabuzz (both the baby and the final forms) are awesome.
    • I think the evolutions of pokemon should be slower. Why the hell should you reach the final evolution at lvl 30 if there is a lvl100 cap? I get that not everyone plays that much, but damn, it's annoying that you can reach the last evolution in a matter of hours if you play as much as I do.
    • I love the EV/IV/Nature system, I like the depth it gives, makes every pokemon different, so hard to get 2 of the same pokemon by catching with no cheats
    • I'm not sure I want a easier way to look at the IVs in the 6th Gen.
    • Really dislike the whole theme on pokemons that can change forme. A couple of them were okay, but ugh, there are so many at this point.
    • Never liked the anime, not even the first season when I was younger.
    • I did like the Manga on pokemon adventure, at least until Gen4, from that point on the story on the game and in the manga becomes really childish, monotone and easy to figure out.
    • Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Genesect, the elemental monkeys and the 3 fighthing legendaries are the only few pokemons I disliked the from Gen5.
    • I think the pokemon designs from Gen3 are the weakest. Gen6 looks awesome tho.
    • Black/White 2 was so not worth the money, I hope gamefreak doesn't do the same with X and Y
    • Tierno means Cute in spanish, hated that name for the chubby kid, poor kid.
    • I love zubats, all of them!
    • Fighthing is the type I like the least, then comes Dragon because I hate the hype on dragons. (The only dragons I like are Kingdra and Haxorus)
    • Duddrigon looks like a Digimon.
    • I would really love a complete type chart remake
    • I would really love that the gen1 pokemon were fixed to how they should be (caterpie, metapod, venomoth... and the other small mistakes)
    • Gotta love Cloyster
    • Don't like Scyther nor the evolution, but I do admit false swipe is a great attack and is overall a good pokemon.
    • I find the TCG extremely boring and tedious.
    • I consider RNG abuse cheating. I hope Gen 6 finds a way to eliminate it or find a way to block it off.
    • I liked the idea behind Fairy Type, don't like the name so much.
    • I think Lucario has one of the worst design of any pokemon. Could have easily been neat, but I just find its contours and patterns clunky, awkward and unpleasant while looking to much like a Sonic/DBZ of some sort. I also never understood the Lucario hype...

Have any weird unpopular opinions you want to share? :)

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • Holy wall of text, Crobatman!

Errr....I think that the Poison-type is underrated and needs to be effective against more types? Wish they would have kept it effective against bug, at least. If it really is supereffective against Fairy-type, I will be so friggin' happy.

Not sure if that's an err...uncommon opinion, but it's my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2013
    Never liked the anime, not even the first season when I was younger.
    Yeah I don't like animes in general, I watched DBZ when I was 5 years old, Yu-Gi-Oh! for a bit when I was around 12 but that's it.
    I do wish Poison Pokés were better as I like Weezing and Muk. Also there is one thing that has been driving me crazy for ages (especially when I was a kid). The whole "trade to make it evolve".
    Why, why, WHY did I keep training Graveler, Haunter, Kadabra just to discover I couldn't keep them on my team later on?
    A 10-year-old kid should get prior warning about evolution trading IMO.

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
    Years
  • Hahaha, I always knew about the evolution trading, used them like that nonetheless.
    And when I refereed to anime, I didn't referee to anime in general but to the Pokemon Anime, you know, Ash and stuff...

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2013
    Well I don't know maybe I should use them unevolved then :p
    And I know, but not liking most anime is an unpopular opinion.
    To be honest I don't like Eeveelutions either. I used to have the Psy one a long time ago but I thought it was pretty creepy-looking (I have the same opinion about the other Eeveelutions).
    So I ended up picking the likes of Gyarados, Muk and Hariyama (which, to me, are both somewhat cute and strong... to each his own :p)

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
    Years
  • Well, it is indeed true that not liking anime, at least on this kind of forums kind of represents an unpopular opinion, but given that the thread is posted in Pokemon General and not in any of the subforums from the Off-Topic Discussions category we should stick to the pokemon theme, to avoid the thread from derailing.

Another maybe unpopular opinion, I didn't really enjoy the story from B/W2 games.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    [*]I think the evolutions of pokemon should be slower. Why the hell should you reach the final evolution at lvl 30 if there is a lvl100 cap? I get that not everyone plays that much, but damn, it's annoying that you can reach the last evolution in a matter of hours if you play as much as I do.

This. I get it, and when I was younger I got really confused when pokémon weren't in their 3rd stage at lv.36 like Swampert, but now it really disappoints me how short the time is that I get to enjoy my baby starter before it evolves.

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
    Years
  • It's a bit boring, one should be spend more time and watch them grow little by little :'( *drama* hahahaha.

I don't even know, I think it'd be more interesting if the pokemon weren't on their prime so quick.

Pikayosh

Epic Pikachu
    Years
  • wow you're very hard to please, I would disagree with a lot of these but some alright but the one I don't like the most is when you said you hate lucario

ProjectMisfit

The fear of an inconceivable ending.
    Years
  • Lucario is one of my favorites <3

I love most of the story, game and animewise(To a point.) I can complain about alot of newer pokemons designs, but I can't come up with better. So, I won't.

I dislike how everything but the characters age in pokemon. Ash has been the same age for like, ten years. Seriously, the ****. It took him just two-three weeks to get through the forest near Pallet, let alone across the Nation. Jesus Christ.

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
    Years
  • It's not that I'm hard to please, lol, I just have different opinions, I still love the games and play them... Are you going to tell me you love all the ~650 pokemon, love all the designs and have never disagreed with absolutely anything?

ProjectMisfit, I believe that in the Japanese anime they accepted the aging theme and he has replied multiple times to question like how old are you with 12 or 14. It's on the american translation where he keeps being 10 for ever.

And it's not complaining, I didn't complain about anything.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Hmm...he's still ageing slowly though isn't he? If he aged in real-time he's over 20.

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
    Years
  • Well, they haven't made a single episode every day since release, if you see it that way, you actually get to see every single day of Ash's life (or most of them) explaining why he ages slowly

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think dragons are sort of boring. Everyone else seem to love dragon types so I think that might be a sort of unpopular opinion :p I think Dragonair is beautiful and Rayquaza cool but the others I don't hold too much love for, haha. I guess Zekrom and Reshiram are nice too, but I have a hard time really seeing them as dragons.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm gonna get some people angry :P

• I think Pokemon designs are generally pretty bad. They normally have good ideas but there's nothing about them that is special. The plain Pokemon are just that - plain. The Pokemon designs that try to be creative end up trying way too hard.
    • Pokemon games are bad RPGs. The system is just far too simplistic with the "depth" of it not being...particularly genius. As an overall package they're good though, I guess
    • IVs is a stupid addition
    • Pokemon is just a cheaply made milked series, no better than Call of Duty.
    • I don't get people who waste time breeding/RNG.

• Post-games are always a waste of time to me because of how badly designed they are.

So yeah, I guess I hate Pokemon? I actually don't. :P

Years
  • Charizard shouldn't have to be Dragon type. Everyone complains that he should be dragon type. He is a giant flying lizard that breathes fire. Therefore he IS a dragon... BUT guess who is only normally affected by dragon, ice and fairy-type moves... And he CAN learn dragon-type moves... so what the hell is the problem? It's just a classification. He IS a dragon, just not officially.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2013
    Uhh, I guess I might say that I really dislike playing the 1st gen (and their remakes) It isn't about the graphics or anything, or a hipster thingy (even though this whole thread is made of hipster thingy's, isn't it?). I just really dislike the layout and the region itself, I guess.
    PLEASE DON'T HURT ME! :P

LolPizzaLol

Just chillin'
    Years
  • I didn't like Gen. 5 in general.
    The Pokémon franchise is not the best RPG franchise ever.
    I don't really care about EVs/IVs/Natures.
    I don't like the TCG at all.
    I'm not a big fan of the anime, although I liked the original seasons.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • I was half expecting a ton of confession bears here... I guess I'll give my input...

-Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald are my least favorite games of the series. I sincerely hope they do not make a remake. It's unneeded and a waste of time and money.
    -I love Gen 4 and Gen 5
    -I don't think old gen pokemon evolutions are needed in Gen 6. however that doesn't mean I don't want to see them.
    -The new battle animations in Gen 6 are not new. I feel like they're a rehash of Pokemon Stadium animations.
    -I hate IVs.
    -Dragons are not OP. They're just right considering they're only available in the latter half of the games without trading.
    -Crobat is the best flying type :) Mine is called Batzinga.

Back