• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The US 2012 Elections Thread / American Politics Discussion

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I actually wrote a paper in Social studies that talked about people doing this if we fully took away the second amendment so it's best if we don't...it might end up as bad as when we removed the "right" to drink alcoholic drinks...I guess we could always put a tax on them like we do with Tobacco though^_^.
    Back on topic: I'm interested on who might be running on the GOP side...I heard, Palin, Huckabee, ect. might be running but are there non mainstream candidates that might be running?

Many states already tax firearms purchases and/or have some sort of filing fee to get a permit. We must remember that most taxes are state and local taxes. While I disagree with a firearm tax beyond standard sales tax in that jurisdiction and what ever costs are necessary to process a permit and perform a background check, that would probably be constitutional in the eyes of the courts.

EDIT:
    We're getting off-topic. Leme stop.

Years
    Yeaaaah. I voted for Barack Obama in 2008, and I will gladly vote for him again. Also, he will defeat the Republican stooge in the 2012 election. You can quote me on this come next November. If the whack jobs from Tea Party nominate their own candidate, aside from the traditional GOP candidate, game over. Look at the historical precedent - see the results of the 1912 Presidential election and power of the incumbency.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Yeaaaah. I voted for Barack Obama in 2008, and I will gladly vote for him again. Also, he will defeat the Republican stooge in the 2012 election. You can quote me on this come next November. If the whack jobs from Tea Party nominate their own candidate, aside from the traditional GOP candidate, game over. Look at the historical precedent - see the results of the 1912 Presidential election and power of the incumbency.

A dedicated Tea Party candidate will probably get as much attention as Ross Perot. They wouldn't create another 1912 effect.

Years
    A dedicated Tea Party candidate will probably get as much attention as Ross Perot. They wouldn't create another 1912 effect.

The Tea Party already cost the Republicans the Senate at the Midterms. Should the Tea Party select Sarah Palin, she would certainly have many times the impact Ross Perot ever did. If the traditional GOP base is split, they will lose. A third party (In this case the Tea Party) is incapable of winning the majority, as being a deviation from the GOP, it will draw some GOP voters away from the main party. In close battle groiund states, say Wisconsin, it will make a difference.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

The Tea Party already cost the Republicans the Senate at the Midterms. Should the Tea Party select Sarah Palin, she would certainly have many times the impact Ross Perot ever did. If the traditional GOP base is split, they will lose. A third party (In this case the Tea Party) is incapable of winning the majority, as being a deviation from the GOP, it will draw some GOP voters away from the main party. In close battle groiund states, say Wisconsin, it will make a difference.

I wouldn't say the Tea Party cost the GOP the Senate. I've seen no evidence of that. Besides, no party can pickup 10 Senate seats in one election that easily. There is much reason to believe the Nevada Senate election was rigged.

Let's say the three defeated Tea Party Senate candidates won (Christine O'Donnell, Sharron Angle, and Ken Buck) (I'm not counting Joe Miller because he was beaten by a fellow Republican). The Republicans gained 6 seats in 2010. 3 more makes a gain of 9 seats. That still doesn't give the GOP a majority in the Senate

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Years
    Isn't it a well known fact that most politicians are ruthless opportunists? As if it would matter, since the will they execute is more often than not not their own ideology but the lobbyists' will.... Opportunists, but still puppets.

Years
    Years
    It's WAY TOO EARLY to start talking about 2012, Netto. Geez, man. Sit back and watch the Republicans jockey for votes while slinging mud at each other and Democrats. It's too early.

But honestly, I do believe a Republican will get the White House with the help of the Tea Party. I know that Mitt Romney is planning on running, which I surely hope not. He did a crappy job as Massachusetts governor. I'm not a big fan of Ron Paul's "cut everything out of the budget" bill he's throwing around, I really don't like Sarah Palin because I don't think she can do the job and while Donald Trump may or may not a Republican, all he wants to prove is Obama wasn't born in the U.S. That's it. The Republicans have many major stars in their party and some with the backing of the Tea Party.

You get enough angry, white people who have the fear of God in them and if there's a Republican who says the things both Tea Party and regular Republicans want to hear, there's a good chance that person will beat Obama. Who is that person? I don't know.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    My forecast:
    Republicans win the Senate and retain the House, but Obama is re-elected.

I'm more interested in getting the GOP in control of the Senate than beating Obama because at this point I feel that's within reach.

That being said, I would never vote for Obama. I would vote for the Democrat only if someone like Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) beats Obama in the primaries. If some loon like Palin wins the GOP primaries, I'm writing-in Ron Paul's name.

Years
    It's WAY TOO EARLY to start talking about 2012, Netto. Geez, man. Sit back and watch the Republicans jockey for votes while slinging mud at each other and Democrats. It's too early.know.

Oh, it's never too early to speculate about the issues that will affect the 2012 elections. The Budget is also looming so yes.

The Democrat side is all but set really and as you said, we can watch the Republican side jockey for the nomination.

Heck, we're just spectators in this process anyways what's so bad about commenting on the current trends? xD

Also surprise! Mitt Romney's on the run:

Mitt Romney exploring 2012 presidential run

The US 2012 Elections Thread / American Politics Discussion

Mr Romney is the second high profile Republican to announce a bid

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney has taken the first formal step towards running for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012.

Mr Romney, who ran a failed bid in 2008, is setting up a committee to explore the feasibility of a run.
    "It is time that we put America back on a course of greatness," he said
    Mr Romney is the second high profile Republican to announce a bid following former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty's move in March.
    While Mr Romney is widely expected to enter the 2012 race, correspondents say he has several hurdles to overcome, notably his moderate record as Massachusetts governor, which does not sit well with conservative primary voters.
    Mr Romney's reform of the Massachusetts health care system - an overhaul that some see as remarkably similar to the one President Barack Obama passed in 2009, in the face of forceful Republican opposition - is considered as albatross around his neck

Last edited:
    Years
    My forecast:
    Republicans win the Senate and retain the House, but Obama is re-elected.

I'm more interested in getting the GOP in control of the Senate than beating Obama because at this point I feel that's within reach.

That being said, I would never vote for Obama. I would vote for the Democrat only if someone like Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) beats Obama in the primaries. If some loon like Palin wins the GOP primaries, I'm writing-in Ron Paul's name.

At least we agree on that, Palin is a loon if I ever saw one. Obama wins re-election on the power of the incumbency and disorder within the GOP base. As for Congress, I can't say. Dems have to defend a lot of seats, but with the aftermath in Wisconsin and Ohio, I don't think the GOP fares any better.

The Trotsky

Wake and Bake
    Years
    Not to be 'that guy' who throws conservatives under the bus as uneducated and ignorant, because obviously not all of them are, but if voting was restricted to informed citizens who actually weigh issues and understand them fully, I don't see how Democrats would ever lose. While there may be a fair number of people who genuinely study politics and somehow come to hold conservative notions, I think the vast majority of the base are just scared, angry old folks or those who are greedy and only want to hoard money.

That being said, I'll be campaigning for Barack Obama in 2012, same as I did in 2008. I can't stand Joe Manchin, primarily because he's from West Virginia and the entire state of WV is unnecessary and a blight on the face of America. I think the House will stay with the Republicans and the Senate could go either way. It will be a very near thing

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

At least we agree on that, Palin is a loon if I ever saw one. Obama wins re-election on the power of the incumbency and disorder within the GOP base. As for Congress, I can't say. Dems have to defend a lot of seats, but with the aftermath in Wisconsin and Ohio, I don't think the GOP fares any better.

Palin needs to stay away from the Presidency. She can't win. The best she can do is run for the Alaska Senate seat that will be up in 2014. It's not just the number of seats that the Democrats have up in 2012, but what states they are in as well. Most of the states with Republican incumbents are safe seats. The GOP only needs to pick-up 1 seat to cause. a hung Senate (50 Democrats, 2 Independents, 48 Republicans) If they pick-up two more, they tie the have the plurality of seats (48 Democrats, 2 Independents, 50 Republicans). They could easily do this by picking up seats in North Dakota, Montana, and Nebraska. From there, they only need 1 more seat for a majority. Delaware is also likely Republican if former Congressman Mike Castle runs. Missouri, Virginia, Florida, and Ohio are toss-ups. The Republican have a slim chance of victory in Wisconsin, West Virginia, Minnesota, and Michigan. Even Scott Brown (R-MA) is still leading in the polls for his 2012 re-election bid.

Not to be 'that guy' who throws conservatives under the bus as uneducated and ignorant, because obviously not all of them are, but if voting was restricted to informed citizens who actually weigh issues and understand them fully, I don't see how Democrats would ever lose. While there may be a fair number of people who genuinely study politics and somehow come to hold conservative notions, I think the vast majority of the base are just scared, angry old folks or those who are greedy and only want to hoard money.

That being said, I'll be campaigning for Barack Obama in 2012, same as I did in 2008. I can't stand Joe Manchin, primarily because he's from West Virginia and the entire state of WV is unnecessary and a blight on the face of America. I think the House will stay with the Republicans and the Senate could go either way. It will be a very near thing

And how is generalizing all of the citizen of an entire state educated and not ignorant?
    Joe Manchin one of the few Blue Dogs left. If the race is Manchin vs. Palin, I'm voting for Manchin.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    I just don't understand why Obama doesn't just show it so those morons can shut up already.

The Trotsky

Wake and Bake
    Years
    I'm sorry if this is a bit elitist, but I sure as hell trust the powers that be to be able to confirm that our President, the most powerful man in the world, is born in our country, more than I trust the unfounded suspicions of hicks and dumb people.

Also, I feel like this would go against McCulloch v. Maryland and the Supremacy Clause?

Back